2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews 5

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Use caution
By jon wheatley on 03/01/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Second hand purchase. A good buy although the clutch needed replacing after only 68,000 miles. Rear window motor needed replacing although it was barely used - not cheap. Nice for the money. You could buy two of these for a little more than it would cost for one Toyota, and be better off. Good handling and visibility, good heat. Not much pickup; give yourself room on the freeway. Caution: when you drive this car in snow, you're going to feel like you're on roller skates!

I survived and so will you
By Adrienne on 11/12/08 12:59 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car for travel, commuting, and the large cargo space. I never thought it would save my life. After performing above industry spec for four years my car was hit head on and broadsided. Both air bags deployed, crumple zones crumpled and center bars held. I was able to climb out of my car the other to cars did not hold up as well. While searching for a new car there was only one car to look at the Ford Focus, now I just have to decide which model I want. I highly recommend it for teenagers and mothers with young kids. Trips to home depot and the grocery store in this car never left me wondering where things might fit.

Great until now
By Matt in Portland Ore on 10/31/08 05:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle has been great up to now. It has 75,000 miles. I have driven a mix of city and highway with minimal problems. A few weeks ago the car begain sputtering upon starting. Typically it would go away in a few minutes. This past Monday it got worse. When I pushed the accelerator it was as though it was not connected. Mechanic replaced the ignition coil but this did not solve the problem. They do not know what the problem is.

I'd do it again
By In a ZTS on 10/14/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new in 2002 and I'd do it again. It has pep and rides and drives great. The controls are easy to operate and the overall comfort is nice on trips. The few minor issues were corrected within warranty. Maintenance has been easy and that's a lot said at 100K miles. I have considered trading recently, but with the economy being so volatile I am quite comfortable staying in my Focus. I have every confidence in it getting me where I need to go. The mileage is OK: 26 average in town and 29- 31 on the hwy. I've had 2 fairly major accidents and feel confident in the safety of the car.

Small Price = Good Buy
By firefighter28jfc on 10/06/08 23:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ZX3 7 years ago at age 16 and have only encountered one problem with it besides regular maintainence. At 36K, the front half-shafts went bad, but since they were replaced, it's been smooth sailing. I have made many engine modifications, as well as bigger wheels and a lower suspension, and the car has been fantastic. This vehicle is really worth the money.

Fun to drive, but not solidly built.
By BelleCat on 06/07/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 2 years old, and was blown away by the power and performance of this little gem compared to the Kia Rio that I had just test driven. The handling is superb; it's just so much fun to drive! The size of the car is really deceiving from the outside. I have moved a 6 ft countertop in this thing! I'm a little disappointed with some of the repairs I had to do: O2 sensor, new tires (60K mile warranty, ha!), completely new brakes down to the rotors. It is now in the shop again because the acceleration died last week. The carpet is also pulling away from the trim and the rubber seals around both front doors have cracked and are coming loose. Still, not bad for 6 years old!

A not so Economy Car
By Pele on 05/07/08 20:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a poorly build car, plain and simple. I have had to replace the ignition switch twice and just finished rebuilding the tranny and theirs only 54000 miles on the car. I could accept that maybe we were unlucky and got a dud, but my brother in law has one and has had similar problems.

Not Economical for an Economy Car
By NB on 05/01/08 04:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you drive very gently, you can attain 32 mpg hwy/18 mpg city. Ford dealership seems to think this normal for this car. This car is not fuel efficient for its class, and I hope to get rid of it as soon as I pay it off. The second time I brought the car in to be repaired for leaking coolant, I was told that this make/model is prone to problems with the cooling system. In 3 yrs I've had it leaking large amounts of coolant from two different locations at two different times. If you buy this car, avoid getting the "sporty" wheels (I bought it used, so choice was made for me). They are very expensive to replace.

Never Again!!
By Nick on 04/06/08 22:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Oh boy. Where do I begin with this car. It is by far the WORST car I have ever owned. I bought it for the better gas mileage... ha. My 99' Grand Am with 216K gets better gas mileage and is more reliable. This car has been in the shop for everything it could possibly go for. The motor mounts don't last. Had them replaced 3 times in the past year. New tires like crazy! I was told it is a Focus thing but had 3 sets put on in the past year. The stereo sounds GREAT!!! When it works. The 6 disk has been changed out 4 times. alternator, sway bar, motor mounts, door locks, electrical system, fuel system, you name it. I am sure it has gone wrong. I will NEVER buy a ford again and would NOT recommend it

Great on gas, bad in snow.
By ScottK. on 03/27/08 09:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had my Focus for one year and put on 15k. I didn't have any mechanical issues at all. The car was great on gas, about 25-36mph, city/highway. The car was unstable at highway speeds in snow even though it had traction control. I crashed the car in snowy conditions and was able to walk away with only 2 small scratches. I'd get another one, but wouldn't drive it long distances in poor winter weather.