Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Very Unreliable
By Berry

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been the most expensive piece of junk. I've replaced: the master and slave cylinders, shocks and struts, fuel injector pump, alternator, rack and pinion (TWICE!!!!). The front doors stick horribly. The air conditioning unit rusted out. The enire muffler system fell off. The ABS brake system only sometimes works and now I can't use the parking brake because it seizes my rear passenger tire and won't allow it to rotate. It wears unevenly on my tires even though I have had them rotated and balanced. The air conditioning needs to be recharged every summer. I'm a mechanical engineer and I take excellent care of my cars. I will never buy another Ford again.

none

where to begin?

my car
By me

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car, but glad I spent $50 on buying & transfering the extended warranty when I got the car. Replaced the heater at 62000 mi and the right front center axle bearing & bracket, oil pan gasket and oil sensor unit at 66000 mi. Total repairs about $1850, with warranty I spent $525 total.

Stero and cost to fill the gas tank.

Get the radio antenna off the front of the roof!!! Do you have any idea how hard it is to put 2 kayaks on the roof with that antenna there?

I love my car!
By KmWorth

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car for 7 months now, and are pretty pleased with it, overall. Ours is a 5-Speed. Typically, we can get close to 350 miles per 3/4 tank of gas, because we always fill up before we reach 1/4 tank. My husband and I both commute, so those 350 miles are a combo of highway and city. The only major problem we have had so far was that 6 months into having it, the clutch completely burned out, which was very expensive to repair, not to mention the inconvenience factor. Everyone mentions how smooth the ride is, and it's very comfortable. I would reccomend to: Drive gently, get regular oil changes, and visit the gas station before you reach 1/4 tank for best performance!

5-Speed manual, Hide-A-Key in magnetic box underneath car, Very nice speakers, Smooth drive, Tinted windows, Handles very easily, Large trunk.

I wish we got closer to 40mpg. I also wish we had power locks/windows. Another thing is that we only have one key, because of the weird computer chip thing that Ford puts in the key. Basically, we can get another copy of the key, but it'll only work for the door.

Use caution
By jon wheatley

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Second hand purchase. A good buy although the clutch needed replacing after only 68,000 miles. Rear window motor needed replacing although it was barely used - not cheap. Nice for the money. You could buy two of these for a little more than it would cost for one Toyota, and be better off. Good handling and visibility, good heat. Not much pickup; give yourself room on the freeway. Caution: when you drive this car in snow, you're going to feel like you're on roller skates!

I'd do it again
By In a ZTS

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new in 2002 and I'd do it again. It has pep and rides and drives great. The controls are easy to operate and the overall comfort is nice on trips. The few minor issues were corrected within warranty. Maintenance has been easy and that's a lot said at 100K miles. I have considered trading recently, but with the economy being so volatile I am quite comfortable staying in my Focus. I have every confidence in it getting me where I need to go. The mileage is OK: 26 average in town and 29- 31 on the hwy. I've had 2 fairly major accidents and feel confident in the safety of the car.

Handling, pep and ease of use of features. Trunk space. Low maintenance costs.

Add a seat release inside the car for the rear seats. Make the headrest more comfortable. While the sound system is great, the volume control and CD changer have never worked consistently well.