2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Ford should FOCUS more on Quality
By jim johnson on 05/31/06 13:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus SE used; it was only a year old - just off a fleet lease in 2003. What got me to buy the car initially was the smooth/comfortable ride for such a small car and the awesome sound system. It was just fun to drive. I'm going into my 3rd year with this car (31,500 miles) and problems are arising already. So far: CD/stereo volume control seldom works, 3 out of the 4 heat/AC fan speeds don't work, the AC doesn't work at all, the fan whines & sputters when it does "work", no power to extra outlet, trunk lid closes shut 1/2 the time. It's becoming more & more clear to me why Toyota & Honda sales are rising and American car companies sales are declining. I see a Toyota in my future.

Too Soon To Tell
By FirstFord on 04/29/06 05:09 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My wife and I replaced my old SUV with a compact to help alleviate rising fuel costs. The car is not all that bad to drive, and we've yet to have any problems. Well, except for three (3): 1. it can only get 20 m.p.g in city driving; 2. the front left tire cannot hold air and we had all four tires replaced at point of sale; 3. the trunk lid opens at inconvenient times. The sticker claims the EPA fuel rating is 26/30, city/hwy. That in and of itself isn't great for a compact, but 20 m.p.g or even less surprised me. Still, the purchase price was fair and the dealer treated us with respect. Time will tell if we're willing to buy another Ford or go back to Toyota.

My Baby
By Karen on 03/22/06 22:08 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My baby sleeps outside every night and never complains. She doesn't cough or sputter when the weather gets cold. She doesn't blow her top and get freaky when it gets really hot. Gently she carries me daily mile after mile. It has the comfort and control of a finely tuned high performance car. I fear she has only one fault that I can find, with her front end as low to the ground it leaves the radiator and condenser sitting ducks for any small creature with a death wish. My only hope is that they redesign the protection of these by perhaps a deflector or stronger bracket.With that said, my Focus has been the most dependable car I've ever owned ... I LOVE HER!

Very Happy
By Afernung on 02/24/06 10:05 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my Focus. I found a Mach Edition in about perfect condition. Had a lot of highway miles on it, bought with 60k, up to 80k now. I actually ran into the other owner, (which was a 1 in a million chance!) while delivering pizzas, and she said it had been the best car she ever had. I'd like a truck or SUV but the only problem this car has given me is a CD jam. I had to dismantle the cd player and take out the 6 CD's; it ruined 4. It also seems to want to eat tires and is very figgedity about balance, always has a little vibration. Other than that, CANNOT complain!

Poor Quality
By Russ Blayney on 02/02/06 14:06 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Our company owns three 2002's. One blew engine after 1700 miles. Hose clamp failed, waited 3 weeks for replacement motor under warranty. Tranny valve went out in another car @ 22000 miles. Now this same car is needing a new tranny @ 57000miles. All 3 have trunk release problems, eat tires and rattle a lot. All of these cars have been maintained to Ford specs and dealership service. No more Ford's for us. The jokes are still alive and well, Found On the Road Dead & Fix Or Repair Daily.

120,000 Miles and still drives fine
By bigticket42 on 01/21/06 16:27 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this car because of gas prices. Bought it with 120,000 miles on it. The car runs great. Good gas mileage, not great but I have the ZTS with the sportier engine in it. I am 6'6" and I have good room. Trunk is good sized but the opening is not big enough. Traction in winter rime is terrible. Need snow tires. Problems are that the fog lights at this time are not working, not sure why. The control module for the traction control and ABS is out so I have to manually pump brakes until I get it fixed. Other than that it is a good economy car. Probably not up to the standards of the Japanese or a Jetta but better than a Chevy Cavalier from '02 and probably as good as the Neon from '02.

Great car for college students!
By KatS on 09/29/05 12:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since I was 16. Now I am in college and drive a ton. The fuel efficiency is great, I can get up to 350 miles on one tank. It is extremely fun to drive, has great handling. It's very spacious, including the trunk. The rear suspension is not adjustable and can be very pricey to get repaired if damaged.

Runs Great BUT Eats Tires
By MBFlorida on 08/14/05 14:15 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I researched many different brands of cars in the same price category before choosing the 2002 Ford Foucs SE Comfort Sedan. I love the styling, the interior especially the tilt/telescoping steering wheel and the height adjustable driver's seat. I am tall at 6 ft 2 in. so many small cars were just way too small.The Focus fits nicely without making me look like a clown unfolding from a clown car. At almost 4 years old I have had few problems other than excessive tire wear. I replace my tires every 20000 miles or less from the first 20000 miles on.

I never thought I would drive a Ford
By Ibrat29 on 07/30/05 13:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car, it is reliable and I have not had any problems. I got it to replace my Plymouth Breeze after I was in a auto accident. The color and the room in it is awesome, and it's really comfortable for road trips. And the gas mileage is awesome, 26mpg around town, and 31mpg highway.

Great Small Car!
By Kaye on 06/29/05 16:11 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was very pleased with how well the car handles. I live in a high traffic city and do a lot of stop and go. I have had no problems, just regular maintenance. I am very happy with the gas mileage of 26 to 28 mpg. I would certainly recommend this vehicle for anyone who likes a smaller car that handles well in traffic and is easily parked.