Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

great...until
By jenna77

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car right out of high school in 2005. It had 54k miles at the time. Most the time I've owned it I worked close to home so in the 6.5 years I owned it I only put 53k miles on it. So I thought it would last me a bit longer still since it had 107k on it. Well it sounded rough recently, then bam broke down. pulled the car apart and the valve seat had come lose and sucked the valve in to the intake. Spreading metal shards all through the cylinders. So its shot. Sold as is for $500 because we needed a 2nd car right away. but at least I got as long as I did out of it. Maybe a lemon?

Do not buy a focus
By max116

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. I drive it to a nd from work, less than 10,000 miles a year. The car is the worst car that I had. Water occasionally leaks into the cabin, which smells of mildew. Shocks needed to be changed (front) at around 60,000 miles. Brakes re-done around 75,000 miles, first the hydraulics of one of the drums then the main pump. Car is not very stable and tends to skid around unless you use premium tires. Latch in the rear hood kind of broken after 20,000 miles. Disks of front brakes needed to be changed after 50,000 miles.

Ford screwed up my chances of going to college!!!
By ben31027

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus handles well... but either you can get one with a bad motor or one with a bad transmission.. Avoid 2000-2005 models :( Finding out a lot about recalls.. magically I have the same issues as the recalls, but that my car is not included on them.. and finding out a lot about "silent recalls".. recalls that Ford will fix only if you complained about the issue before your warranty went out, then it's a BIG [violative content deleted] from the blue oval. The car handles well in dry conditions.. see a raindrop or snowflake.. go ahead and park it.. the car will be all over the place.. Gas mileage is all over the place.. I can get 30 MPG one day, and the next day on the same route, I can get as little at 18-20 MP

fun to drive, radio when it works...

Back doors wouldn't shut at 100k ($500). Alternator at 100k ($600). Timing belt at 100k ($400). Stock stereo went out ($300). Driver's seat wore out at 100k (still not fixed.. looking at $800). Back window regulators at 105k ($400). Overheating at 110k. Was told it was a thermostat ($150). At 115k, all of my headlights went out; a relay ($250). Goes through tires and brakes like no one's business (sets of tires are $600, since they are 205/50 R16). Ignition switch (key stuck in ignition) at 120k ($350). Ignition coil pack at 128k ($275). At 140k miles, the timing belt yet again (it shredded) ($800). Water pump was leaking at the same time; replaced. At 142k, had to replace both

After 9 years and 123k miles, Bev is starting to bite the dust
By lsgrant

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So Bev, my 2002 ford focus 2x5, has been GREAT for the 5 years I have owned her. Last year is when it all began. Most of the repairs have been typical maintenance things you would have to fix on any 9 year old/123k mile car, but I wasn't expecting to fix the alternator $400, a/c $450, clutch $600, and 2 of the 4 power windows (the windows!? which are $300 EACH). CD player has been broken for a few years. I can usually get it to work (except the volume control has hardcore issues), but the CD player repair is LAST LAST on my list. My biggest recommendation: find a GREAT mechanic who will give you a deal with all these crazy repairs that will probably happen all at once.

I get 34 mpg highway (driving 65mph w/ a/c on), 6 disc CD changer (which is actually malfunctioning lol), CRAZY spacious. I take my car CAMPING all the time, and she's a trooper. I can seriously fit anything in the trunk/back seat. I can fit 2 car seats and an 8 year old in my back seat. The backseat is a little small for adults, but I've also had 3 adults back there, too.

The power windows mechanism is a POS!! The part is about $175 dollars itself and my repair bill for each window was $300!! I had an old Honda before this car and the alternator never broke nor the clutch. I'm actually quite shocked to have to replace both on this car. Get a great mechanic you trust who will give you a deal!!

Avoid the 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 at all costs!
By czechmate1974

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

1st of all this car has a automatic transmission not manual. I had 108,000 miles on the car and the head gasket blew and the entire cooling system failed along with the thermostat. This caused my temperature gauge to show me in the "normal" range when really I was burning my car up and did not know it. I had coolant everwhere and white smoke out of my engine. $2500 to $3000 to fix. This car had many problems over the years. All the power window motors were constantly breaking. Had to replace 3 and they are $300+ to fix. I hate this car, it ruined my life. Avoid it at all costs.

I liked the sporty look and the interior.

Everything! This car is made on the cheap. The parts are expensive to replace so you dont save money by buying this cheap car. Buy Honda or Hyundai. I would avoid the new Ford Focus models even though there have been "improvements". I dont trust Ford anymore. I lost a 2000 Ford Focus to engine failure with only 120,000 miles. So got burned 2x.