2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Started great and then fell off a cliff
By cdock on 01/06/10 20:22 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Year One:Didn't drive it too much I lived like 3 miles from my job. only put about 3000 on car in first year. Year Two: cd changer stops working right makes weird noise and scratches cds. Take car in they swap out cd player and mail me a cd that was someone a 7th cd inside the changer when it was fixed. About 4 months later rear wheel bearings need replacement and front sway bar cracked they weld it. Years 3-7: cd player replaced 4 times sway bar welded 3 more times 60K miles coolant leak fixed 80K coolant leak fixed 81K power steering goes and oil starts leaking power steering fixed. 83K ignition locks and passenger window falls down on its own while driving repairs for year 7-8 =3,600

Would Not Do It Again
By Robert on 10/12/09 07:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems with this car since I purchased it new in 2002. General frame problems at first - the front passenger floor leaked excessively, had to be repaired.Twice it has overheated, needed temperature gauge replaced, and of course the entire cooling system needed flushed. Within the past few years I've had approximately $2,000 in repairs (including problem above, as well as transmission problems, motor coil problems, all in addition to regular routine maintenance-tune ups, oil changes). Mostly the car has been used to drive to/from work, and around town, very few long trips. Now-138,000 miles,and it's basically dead (unless I fork out another $2k in repairs). Fed up!

I hate this car
By Terrible car on 09/10/09 04:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was bored with my old car and gas prices were rising. I decided I would go and test some cars out. I ended up getting the Focus. 2 weeks after I bought it my door locks stopped working. 3 weeks after that I had to have the sway bar replaced. Then the motor mount. Then the alternator. Then my electrical system went out. 6 disc cd player broke. I swear it eats tires and headlight bulbs. Up to date I have had the car for almost 3 years. It has 137k miles on it. I have replaced the motor mounts 5 times. I bumped a curb and the side air bag deployed. I have had my car in the shop so many times the car rental people know me by name. Ford makes terrible cars and I would recommend you stay away.

Great little car
By Bernie on 06/13/09 18:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over 5 years now and it's been overall a great experience. The car has over 82,000 miles now and I still get over 29 miles per gallon and the engine still runs strong. never had a problem with it other than a faulty spark plug, but that is maintenance. one and two year old domestic cars are the way to go!! you get a new car at a fraction of the cost.

Very Unreliable
By Berry on 06/03/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been the most expensive piece of junk. I've replaced: the master and slave cylinders, shocks and struts, fuel injector pump, alternator, rack and pinion (TWICE!!!!). The front doors stick horribly. The air conditioning unit rusted out. The enire muffler system fell off. The ABS brake system only sometimes works and now I can't use the parking brake because it seizes my rear passenger tire and won't allow it to rotate. It wears unevenly on my tires even though I have had them rotated and balanced. The air conditioning needs to be recharged every summer. I'm a mechanical engineer and I take excellent care of my cars. I will never buy another Ford again.

I've had worse
By Bob B. on 03/27/09 10:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new in 02. I have always been impressed with the handling of this car, it really is top notch. It's been pretty reliable too. The trunk release was the first thing to go at about 30,000 mi. Second, the alternator went just over 50,000 miles. The hood release also broke off in my hand. Acceleration is not the greatest but it is adequate with the 5 speed. I have average 22-24 mpg mostly city driving with ac on. Not bad for real world numbers. The clutch has lasted for 86,000 miles. I have not had any major problems yet and I'm not that good at regular maintenance. I can fit lots of stuff in this car and I like the fact that it stays dry (no pick up truck for me).

my car
By me on 03/21/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car, but glad I spent $50 on buying & transfering the extended warranty when I got the car. Replaced the heater at 62000 mi and the right front center axle bearing & bracket, oil pan gasket and oil sensor unit at 66000 mi. Total repairs about $1850, with warranty I spent $525 total.

Fun and Can Carry Like a Wagon
By nightbird7 on 03/09/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my car for 6 years and have had only a couple of problems with it, which were fixed and over with. There was a leak of hydraulic fluid into the driver footwell that required the alternator and master cylinder be replaced (I didn't recognize the signs before the alternator started to go). Later parts of the front suspension had to be replaced as they were locked up and noisy (about $200 for each of these jobs). I've never had the tire troubles people write about - you need to get the Lifetime alignment at Discount Tires and take it in as soon as you get the car as I've read it came out of the factory with the rear tires out of alignment - this may be causing all the tire problems.

I love my car!
By KmWorth on 03/03/09 02:57 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car for 7 months now, and are pretty pleased with it, overall. Ours is a 5-Speed. Typically, we can get close to 350 miles per 3/4 tank of gas, because we always fill up before we reach 1/4 tank. My husband and I both commute, so those 350 miles are a combo of highway and city. The only major problem we have had so far was that 6 months into having it, the clutch completely burned out, which was very expensive to repair, not to mention the inconvenience factor. Everyone mentions how smooth the ride is, and it's very comfortable. I would reccomend to: Drive gently, get regular oil changes, and visit the gas station before you reach 1/4 tank for best performance!

Use caution
By jon wheatley on 03/01/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Second hand purchase. A good buy although the clutch needed replacing after only 68,000 miles. Rear window motor needed replacing although it was barely used - not cheap. Nice for the money. You could buy two of these for a little more than it would cost for one Toyota, and be better off. Good handling and visibility, good heat. Not much pickup; give yourself room on the freeway. Caution: when you drive this car in snow, you're going to feel like you're on roller skates!