2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
A not so Economy Car
By Pele on 05/07/08 20:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a poorly build car, plain and simple. I have had to replace the ignition switch twice and just finished rebuilding the tranny and theirs only 54000 miles on the car. I could accept that maybe we were unlucky and got a dud, but my brother in law has one and has had similar problems.

Not Economical for an Economy Car
By NB on 05/01/08 04:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you drive very gently, you can attain 32 mpg hwy/18 mpg city. Ford dealership seems to think this normal for this car. This car is not fuel efficient for its class, and I hope to get rid of it as soon as I pay it off. The second time I brought the car in to be repaired for leaking coolant, I was told that this make/model is prone to problems with the cooling system. In 3 yrs I've had it leaking large amounts of coolant from two different locations at two different times. If you buy this car, avoid getting the "sporty" wheels (I bought it used, so choice was made for me). They are very expensive to replace.

Ford Focus
By AJIowa on 11/20/07 15:16 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has excellent handling. I am not a car person so my primary reason for purchasing was price and gas mileage. The inside of the car is a little small. Passengers in the back seat have to scrunch up and it would not be good for long car rides with four people. This car needs new tires constantly. I am lucky to get 15k out of a tire. I mean they are completely bald. I have had alignment checked no problems. I rotate the tires but barely can do it twice before I need new ones. I been through 7 full sets of tires in 5 years. The tires are supposed to get 50-75K and it isn't even close. I also had to have the struts front and back all replaced by 50K.

Excellent auto
By doglover on 11/12/07 06:38 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am almost always the one to bash an auto maker. But the Focus 4 door wagon has been very good to me and with 199,000 has been awesome. The only regret is Ford not making this mid size wagon anymore. I am the original owner the things that were replaced was wiper motor, tires, brakes(only the second set) a little pricey, the alternator (which was still under warrantry). A very honest reliable vechicle good value. Yes, I would buy another Focus. A little bummed about the removal of the wagon.

Best handling car, ever!
By Ksmith on 07/19/07 16:31 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I absolutely love this car! I received this car as a gift, and the first thing that came to my mind was, oh no a Ford. But once I took it around the block, my view about the car changed completely. Has plenty of power (more than BMW 318i), stops on a dime, very comfortable with a spacious, quiet interior. The car is very solid, when I close the doors; it shuts with an air tight thump like that of a Mercedes or Volvo. If I had to sum up this car in one word it would have to be responsive. I have driven a BMW M5 before and my Focus is tighter and handles better than the BMW. My Focus saved my life a few times thanks to its perfect handling! I have driven Hondas and I would take the Focus!

Reliable for over 5 years
By dk on 06/30/07 19:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001. I have treated this car good and it has been good to me in return.The door latches had a recall on them because they would stick, and sometimes still do. My valve cover gasket needed replaced at around 83,000 mi. I have around 85,000 mi on it now. Other than that , I can't complain about the car. I live in the Cleveland area , so it has seen it's share of brutal weather. It is not the best car in the world in snow, but it is way better than let's say a Mustang. The stereo system rocks and the car handles tight and has good pick up for a 4 cyl. For the money this car is not bad (the new ones) This was my first brand new car I have owned and I am glad.

Have Focus will travel
By dan on 06/09/07 14:40 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus since Thanksgiving of 2001. Over the past few years the car has been pretty solid transportation for me. I live in Cleveland OH, so it has been through some serious weather. The car handles pretty good in snow with the front wheel drive. I can only speak for the ZTS model on this , but the car has pretty good pick up for a four cyl. It eccelerates nicely while mergining on the highway. I did have a recall on the door latches, which was no big deal. I did get an oil leake around 83,000 miles. It turned out to be a valve cover gaskett. It cost me $35 from Ford for the gaskett. I do have some rust forming around the Ford logo below the spoiler. My grade: B, a reliabl car

one of the best
By stuck with ford on 01/07/07 13:39 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I owned my Focus for 5 years; have had transmission replaced at 37000 miles, tires every 20000 miles and the alternator replaced once. Not too much work for 140000 miles, besides routine maintenance. I like the car's fuel economy/handling/pickup. If I didn't need more room I would buy a new Focus. So I sticking with Ford and buying a Ford Escape Limited.

Worst Car I've Owned
By Charlynn Smith on 12/21/06 18:41 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle to avoid nickel-and-dime problems that were starting to appear in my 2000 Sunfire. Little did I know that I'd have the Focus in the shop four times over the last seven months. This has quickly become the most unreliable car I've ever driven, and I'll never buy a Ford again. I'll be trading this car for what I knew I should have bought in the first place - a Honda Civic.

Better than we thought
By bbsrover on 08/30/06 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought 02 Focus SE (auto) in Jan 2002. So far it has 60k miles. Happy with its overall reliability and handling (considering it's a FORD). It's fun to drive. No powertrain or any powered parts problem. It's an economical car and some parts such as tires and rotors have worn out fast. What have been repaired/changed include: all 4 tires (less than 3 yrs), 2 front rotors (less than 3 yrs), spark plugs and wires (4 yrs), one rear light bulb and drain plug (less than 3 yrs).