2002 Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

Not the best I've owned by a long shot
By mj23cantona

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I could get more features and a bigger engine for some $3000 less than I would have paid for a Toyota Celica. Now, five years and some $5000 more than the cost of the average Celica over this time, all I can say is it was a bad choice. Pretty much all that could go wrong did, coolant system twice, CD chager twice, A/C twice, clutch, thermostat, power windows, brakes need constant work, windshield sealant, trunk bounces back every other time, noisy. It's the last Ford I'll ever own. About a year ago I quit putting money into it, all I do is maintenance. Since then the CD changer and the driver's side window have kicked it, we now own two Toyotas. This one is errand car.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage. Very roomy for a small car.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality overall. No wonder Honda and Toyota's numbers go up yearly despite higher prices, lower rebates, and far less financing incentives.

Lemon
By mellsu4u

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

In 4 years I have had to replace the front rotors and brake shoes (the first year!), replace two window motors and regulators, replace the power steering pump, rack & pinion unit, battery, CD player, factory dry rotted tires, and the air bag light keeps coming on. The car looks brand new inside and out, is regularly maintenance, has few passengers (no kids), is driven carefully and has few miles on it. A mechanic said you have a 50/50 chance on getting a good one. Guess which % I was in? Please, don't buy one!

Favorite Features

Has a lot of room inside.

Suggested Improvements

PLEASE USE QUALITY PARTS WHEN MAKING THIS CAR!

Utterly Awful, Unreliable
By Galiana

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car at 20k miles. At 30k, it needed new brakes and completely rebuilt calipers. The mechanic told me that it was very common for the factory installed plastic calipers to fail at 30k miles. The car is now at 60k miles and has gone through 3 sets of brakes (I do not drive like a maniac at all) 4 sets of tires, and 3 stereos. The factory-installed 6-disc changer on this car is a piece of junk and fails constantly. Recently, the engine has started leaking copious amounts of oil. With all of these problems, I have been told that they are common with the Focus (especially the 2002) but not with other cars in its class like the Toyotas. No pickup, bad car.

Favorite Features

The 6-disc changer (when it works), the removable "lid" on the hatchback, cargo room in general - it has more space than you would think for a small auto.

Suggested Improvements

Improve the reliability of the engine, brakes, audio, and electrical systems. It's not called Fix Or Repair Daily for nothing. Have had nothing but trouble with this car.

Unsatisfied consumer
By Kantona

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good gas mileage, acceptable performance, not too uncomfortable, but pretty unreliable; seems to break down every other month after two years.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Cooling system fo engine, A/C.

A distinctive small car
By Raymond

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Even 5 years on, when I looked for a small car to buy the Focus stood out. The best aspects are a unique style inside and out, a user friendly interior and seating position, the best handling of any non-sport compact but a comfortable suspension worthy of a larger car. Don't worry, I say this having test driven the Corolla, Civic and Golf. On the downside, the fuel economy is not as good as it should be for a small car, the reliability is acceptable, but not bullet-proof and there are a few annoyances that are easily overshadowed by the good points

Favorite Features

Stability control in an inexpensive car! If you search hard, you can also find Focus with 4 wheel disc brakes, ABS and traction control. Though, on any Focus the handling would be my favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

The center armrest is uncomfortable in manual transmission cars, in the up or down position. Unfortunately, other than removing it altogether, there is no solution for this. Another trouble spot is the rear wheel bearings.

Love the car
By Mike Castegnaro

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 and I really love it. This car has power everything, including a 6 disc player. I have always had Ford cars and trucks and NEVER had any problem with any of them at all. The gas mileage is great and has a lot of pickup. My friend purchased an '06 Toyota Scion. It's also a really nice car, but it does suck up the gas. We both have 4 cylinders. My Focus gets 26 mpg around town and 35 on highway. This is my most expensive car that I have ever purchased, also my newest. Close to $10,000. The dealership was great, however, a little bit of pressure was involved. I did get a good deal though. This car will last me the next 10 years.

Favorite Features

Power mirrors, windows, tilt, cruise control, 6 disc cd player, power locks, air ... of course.

Great Car
By ryan

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought the car new with sunroof, leather, 5 speed, black, and 6 disc CD. We have put 82k in the last 3 years and just blew the hydraulic clutch slave cylinder. Gieco warranty picked up the tab and have not had any other problems. Wonderful handling, the car is very well balanced and predictable (and I have pushed it to the limit). I would suggest the car to anyone.

Favorite Features

CD player, motor, tranny, handling, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Looks, interior lighting.

Great value this ZX3
By Prof100

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's roomier than my Taurus. It has every option. The car is nimble for driving around the town and on the freeway. Ford could lose the middle console. It's useless. Seatbelts are designed for child safety & you have to dig for the latch end that's sandwiched between the seat & the console. Tires were replaced with with Pirelli tires at 40,000 miles & should have been 10,000 miles earlier. New front brakes @ 32K. Rotors are disposable. Rear hatch key gasket keeps falling out in car washes. Rust is starting form on the bottom of the hatch. That's not FOMOCO's fault. That's from a dealer who repaired the car when my wife tried to move a concrete pole with rear bumper.

Favorite Features

1 - Roominess 2 - Fun to drive 3 - Relatively good fuel economy

Suggested Improvements

Delete the console. Improve Fuel Economy. Make rear brakes easier to replace.

Focus is a fun kids car
By cory kilburn

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus is a good kids car but for a family of four it is a little too small. The arm rest in the Focus could be looked at as weak and needs to be looked at by Ford, as well as the fuel pump. I have owned 2 Ford Focus and have replaced 4 fuel pumps and 2 arm rests. Other than that the car is fun to drive and gets good gas mileage. Good luck and fun safe driving. :)

Favorite Features

The good shifting in the gear box. The ride is very good. Good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Arm rest needs improvement, fuel pump needs improvement, road noise needs improvment .

Owned a lot of cars
By Ace

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've own a lot of cars, built here, in Europe, and Japan. You can't beat this car for the money. I drive a combination of stop and go city and highway miles every day and get 27 - 28mpg. Very reliable. I also got rid of the Firestone Firehawk tires and put on 4 new BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. Better handling and superior rain and snow handling. This car handles better than most cars costing over $35K. Nice trasmission, smooth engine needs more power. 150hp would be just right.

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

More power, better seats.