2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Awesome!
By susmck on 08/15/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Focus totaled. It has done nothing but run beautifully since I have had it with 90,000. I knew the person who had it before me and she had no problems either. I have 136,000 miles on it and lots more to go!

Stay away!
By ihateford on 07/15/10 20:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car put my through hell! First everything was fine, then back right window broke, it would shake uncontrollably, it would stop for no apparent reason, and overall money it was not worth it!

Worst car ever
By SOKnight on 05/29/10 20:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Fords before but this will be my last. All the tires needed replacing when I went over normal potholes and they developed bubbles or got flat. Then the slave cylinder went. 3 of the 4 wheel bearings needed to be replaced, the CD player died, the shifter cable died, the front coil springs broke (there's a silent recall on these fyi), the windshield just cracked for no reason, the plastic on the bottom of the windshield came loose and the car gets water in the passenger side, and then there is that mysterious exhaust smell when I turn into my driveway, there was some radiator problem too but I don't recall what, now the A/C needs to be recharged, then there's a broken fan resistor.

The Tank
By Amy Royer on 05/21/10 19:20 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 5 speed ZX3 in 2005 with 48,000 miles on it and I just totaled it out with 143k miles. I loved this car but the tires wore out easily and cost $110 a tire, the housing unit for the temperature thingy had to be replaced, the cd player was replaced twice and still didn't work, the moon roof would malfunction, at 130,000 the front struts started to go and there was an oil leak, I had to replace the battery 4 times and the driver side door handle constantly broke. Despite all that I did run the car hard and it ran well up until about 115k miles and it held together through the few accidents I was in keeping me and my 2 year old safe. It's nickname was tank for a reason.

OMG so many problems
By TERESA on 04/21/10 07:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ok, let me explain to you how this car has made my life a living nightmare! Ok I bought this car with 38,000 miles on it when I bought it I found out it had a cooling sensor problem, then clutch problem, then rack and pinion, then axle problems, then ignition problems, I swear this car is not worth what I put into it now I have a problem with my fifth gear either not wanting to going into gear or it getting stuck and not wanting to come out! Please do not buy this car!

Now I know
By Nicole on 04/19/10 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car when it was 4 years old and had 30K miles. It drove nice at first,looked okay,and gas mileage is great.It has been nothing but problems since. The AC has gone out 4 or 5 times,each time Ford sent their dealership defective parts to replace the AC.Finally they sent a part that looks like its going to work.Then the alternator went out at 80,000 miles.It also had to be replaced twice because Ford sent a bad part the first time.We've put more money into this car than its even worth. The gas mileage is ok. Maybe ford should focus on building quality vehicles.Now I know to NEVER , EVER buy a Ford vehicle again.

2002 Ford Focus ZX5
By CarMan on 04/10/10 07:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several cars in my life and drive more than the average. My Focus had its first repair at 112,000 miles needing a sensor replaced. Other than tires, and brakes, and oil changes this car has been an amazing one and I would not hesitate to buy another. Gas mileage is also incredible, tires are inexpensive, and the seats are more comfortable than in my Jag.

Great Car!!
By thinkr047 on 03/31/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Sedan w/Zetec (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a wonderful car! I bought this car brand new in 2002. I have had 3 fairly major wrecks in this car and it held up extremely well and kept me protected! I have had to replace a few things here and there but so far nothing major. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and I will be purchasing a new Focus in 2012 when the new design comes out!

2002 Ford Focus
By Christine on 03/17/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but great reliability with my 2002 Focus ZTS. I still have the factory battery in it, ac works great, great on gas, I can always depend on this car to get me where I need to go. Oil always gets changed on a regular basis, regular check ups and it has been going. I'm no mechanic but the money that I have put into this car is just maintenance that you do for your car to keep running. The only thing that has not worked since I purchased it was the drivers side windshield wiper.

JUST SAY NO
By saynotoford on 02/19/10 17:03 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was trouble the first three months I had it. The radio just stopped working, and I had to replace the alternator. ALL of the window regulators have broken, and one is broken for a second time. Ford UNUSUALLY built it with 3 motor mounts instead of 4, so they will wear, and it cost about 200 each to replace. Even the mechanic said he didn't know why Ford did that. I had to replace all of the spark plugs. The housing temperature unit thing is made of plastic and leaked coolant. it has custom tires so be ready to pay if you need to replace them. Mine rides extremely rough, and I do get oil changes and transmission flushes.