2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Not Happy
By clarkdnr on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Initially it seems as though you get a lot for the money with the Ford Focus. Once you really spend time with the car, however you learn that you have been ripped off. Mine is in the shop for the 4th time in one year. Currently it is having a trunk latch repaired, there's been a recall on bearings and they have to completely rebuild my transmission. Everytime service has been a nightmare (rude, unknowledgeable, difficault to get a rental). Watch paint job on delivery. The interior, though well designed is made of low grade materials. I'm going back to Toyota!

Fun car
By BigJrff on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Tight, crisp handling on 16-inch low profile (205x50) tires. Delivers decent power from a sweet sounding, twin-cam engine at 4-6000 RPM. Precise rack and pinion steering gives good feedback. Very comfortable inside. Lots of room for big people. Nice sound system with 6 cd changer in the dash. Good ergonomics. Neat, edgy exterior and interior styling. Flexible cargo carrying configurations possible with 60-40 fold down rear seats (which are also quite comfortable). Good head and legroom front and rear.

Nice Car
By Trafalgar72 on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I picked a Focus over a Civic despite all warnings by friends, and I am glad I stuck with my choice, the only complaint I have is that you can feel the car pitching side to side in steep turns around 20 mph. I like the styleing, but it could be improved. I suggest this car, but I would go for the 130 hp, if I were to to redecide. It handles great, and test drive one if you get a chance. I hear that American cars have bad reliability and that fords have bad transmissions but I , hope and think my Focus will hold up.

suprised
By scrunden on 04/08/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was impressed with the room the car had, the way it handles and rides. I thought i'd never own a small car again. I bought it on the advice of my brother who owns 3 for his business they all have at least 60,000 miles on them and are only 2 years old but he has had no problems with any of them. The only thing I wish for ishat the 130 hp engine was standard on all models.

Awesome bang for the buck sportscar
By M Rose on 04/06/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was set on buying the wagon version of the Focus. On a whim, I test drive the car I bought, a ZTS sedan, and was instantly smitten with this car. The ride quality and handling was noticably better than the normal Focus sedans, and much better than the wagon. I drove away with it two hours later and it has been the perfect car. So far, there are 10,550ish miles on the clock, and there's not been one, single problem. It's still as fun to drive as the day it was bought--highly recommended.

Party Wag
By weakside on 04/04/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Perfect balance of economy, luxury, sportiness, and fun. You can't beat the ZTW for its price. It'll hold more cargo than many small and mid-size SUV's and get 30 mpg on the highway. And somehow, you end up having nearly the same view from the driver's seat. It rides quite high for a small car. I can't wait for its first road trip. It's just a fun car to drive.

ZTS - Great looking car
By Nodriveslow on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently traded in my 2001 ZX3 for the ZTS. The ZTS has the automatic even though the heading says manual. Anyway, after driving the ZX3 I am pretty familiar with the Focus. The 2002 ZTS seems for the short time that I've owned it, to be a better car. It is quieter, rides smoother (even though same wheelbase and tires)and the looks are tough to beat. One option that I have, that Ford does not do enough advertising for, is the Traction Control/Anti-Skid device. The biggest asset of this option, is the 4-wheel disc brakes. That is a big plus in the braking department. All in all it is a nice car, and with the $1,500 rebate, almost unbeatable in price.

A great car, few if any, problems
By FocusFanatic on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it is hands down a great buy. I have heard horro stories about the focus from different people, plus on this site, i say quit knocking the car, you paid less than 17 grand for the thing, what do you expect? Especially those of you that got it when it first came out! IT WAS A DEBUT VEHICLE, HELLOOOO, we're taliin about kinks and bugs that have to be worked out. just like when the new cougar rolled out, they had plenty of problems. the focus is a great, fun and stylish car to drive.

Compare and Save
By dbrass on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

5 months of nothing but fun so far. I'm 6' 5" 265# and I am comfortable. You have to wind it up a little but it goes. Turn a corner on a whim. Wanted the Power w/o moonroof couldn't find (cut just a bit too much of the headroom). I got a really fantastic deal on a really nice package. To get more you go to Elantra GT and then Golf TDI. It wasn't worth the $$$ to me to risk the Hyundai and the VW guys didn't want to talk about deals. Some say you get what you pay for ... I think I got more w/o paying very much at all.

The Brakes STINK
By cyn_flo on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the only downfall of this vehicle are the noisy brakes. I had the car for only 6 months before the brakes started squeaking like I had a 15 year old car that needed the drums rotated and new brake pads put on. very embarassing to drive this vehicle that way. i had the brake pads replaced after going to the dealer Many times and the car brakes still squeak at times but not as bad