Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
Do not buy a focus
By max116

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. I drive it to a nd from work, less than 10,000 miles a year. The car is the worst car that I had. Water occasionally leaks into the cabin, which smells of mildew. Shocks needed to be changed (front) at around 60,000 miles. Brakes re-done around 75,000 miles, first the hydraulics of one of the drums then the main pump. Car is not very stable and tends to skid around unless you use premium tires. Latch in the rear hood kind of broken after 20,000 miles. Disks of front brakes needed to be changed after 50,000 miles.

UNFOCUSED
By FADED FOCUS

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The car is junk. In order to vent the car with outside air, you have to open the windows, otherwise you get engine fumes. For a compact/economy car the mileage is terrible. If you are on freeways that travel over 55 miles per hour, the fuel mileage drops exponentially. When you reach sixty miles per hour, the engine just has no extra guts. Not one of Ford's better ideas. The Focus basically sucks!!!

Favorite Features

My favorite feature of the Focus was being able to trade it in for a full- size Crown Victoria, which gets better fuel mileage than the Focus when driven at speeds over 60 miles per hour.

Suggested Improvements

I suggest crushing the car, melting it down, and continue making Ford Escorts, which are a far superior car to the Focus.

Worst car
By Kienna Summer Shkopich-Weddell

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid 500 dollars for this car and drove it for exactly one year. After replacing all 4 wheel bearings, the front right spring, plus having to refill the antifreeze every morning during the winter months in Northern Canada, I gave up and took it to the dump. I wanted to set this car on fire every single day that I owned it. I do not recommend, I would not say that this is a safe car. Much happier with my older 1990 Honda Accord.

Garbage
By herodotus66

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Do not buy a focus ztw wagon. I have had nothing but trouble with the engine and transmission, with no help from the dealer. Avoid this car like SARS.

Favorite Features

when i get out of it.

Suggested Improvements

better everything.

WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.
By badluckforme

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before this terrible 2002 Focus, I owned a Pontiac G6 with a ton of problems to. But this is by far the worst car ever. Bought the car for 4,000 with 113,000 miles on it. Have put almost 3,000 dollars into it since then. Isn't reliable whatsoever. Me being a college student I need a reliable car and this one is not it. First cyl went out right after I got it. It started stalling with AC on. Then it started overheating while sitting at a light/parked. Had to get all new wiring in the engine, and timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, and now my current problem is the terrible vibration at 140,000!!!!!(more wrong than just this) I can't take this anymore. time to sell this terrible nightmare.

Favorite Features

none.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe ford should make a bit more of a reliable car. time to turn to foreign cars!!!