Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

As Fun to Drive as they say
By psendab

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2002 Focus ZTS is as fun to drive as they say it is! It corners great and has fairly good acceleration. This has been a great car for a family of 4. We have two young kids and they fit well, including taking one of their Grandmothers with us at times. The trunk is surprisingly roomy and holds enough luggage for a week long road trip. We have had no mechanical problems and only one repair due to a missing retainer on the inner wheel well trim.

Favorite Features

Height Adjustable Seat and Tilt/Telescoping steering wheel. I am 6' 6" and my wife is 5' 2", but because of these two features this car fits us both. I also like the roominess, we have seated 5 persons several times and comfortable enough for short drives.

Suggested Improvements

Consider the newer 2.3L PZEV engine for additional power in the hills and better fuel economy if you live in the mountains.

Ford's quality issues continue
By fcsdrvr

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had hoped by giving Ford a couple of years to get it right they would address there quality issues. I will not buy a another Ford product unless there is >30% price advantage over competing vehicles. If you buy your vehicle get a Civic at least it is still worth something after 3 years. When are they going to learn that without producing quality products the consumer will not return.

Suggested Improvements

How about a car that doesn't have the fuel pump turn off when making a hard right turn.

Nice car to drive
By Andy Tam

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

High stability and spacious interior make Focus considerably better than competition. Fuel economy is not its better side but American market doesn't care about that much.

Favorite Features

Real fun and reliable car to drive. I have it for 2 years and had no problems at all.

Suggested Improvements

Little bit more power would make Focus really serious small car and competitors like Honda Civic wouldn't stand a chance.

15 miles to the gallon?
By Marty Richie

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am a dealer and bought my Focus the year they came out so I have no one to blame but me for buying it. First off it is very noisy and the belt squeaks every time i start it. The doors lock while the motor is running(Not good with kids in the car seats) and last but not least 200 miles to the tank! That is horrible considering it is rated in the 30's on highway. I am a sales manager at Honda now and everytime I look at it i just want to set it on fire and call my agent. buyer be ware.

Favorite Features

color

Suggested Improvements

all mechanicals. love the design.

Great Car
By Jim Gator

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been an extremely reliable and fun car. I've got 35K on the odometer and loved every mile.

Favorite Features

The power and handling.

Suggested Improvements

The lousy cupholder positions. The road noise on highways that are snow tire stud worn.