2002 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Not the best I've owned by a long shot
By mj23cantona on 04/01/07 14:57 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car because I could get more features and a bigger engine for some $3000 less than I would have paid for a Toyota Celica. Now, five years and some $5000 more than the cost of the average Celica over this time, all I can say is it was a bad choice. Pretty much all that could go wrong did, coolant system twice, CD chager twice, A/C twice, clutch, thermostat, power windows, brakes need constant work, windshield sealant, trunk bounces back every other time, noisy. It's the last Ford I'll ever own. About a year ago I quit putting money into it, all I do is maintenance. Since then the CD changer and the driver's side window have kicked it, we now own two Toyotas. This one is errand car.

Unsatisfied consumer
By Kantona on 04/07/06 20:41 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Good gas mileage, acceptable performance, not too uncomfortable, but pretty unreliable; seems to break down every other month after two years.

Love the car
By Mike Castegnaro on 02/01/06 09:16 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently purchased my 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 and I really love it. This car has power everything, including a 6 disc player. I have always had Ford cars and trucks and NEVER had any problem with any of them at all. The gas mileage is great and has a lot of pickup. My friend purchased an '06 Toyota Scion. It's also a really nice car, but it does suck up the gas. We both have 4 cylinders. My Focus gets 26 mpg around town and 35 on highway. This is my most expensive car that I have ever purchased, also my newest. Close to $10,000. The dealership was great, however, a little bit of pressure was involved. I did get a good deal though. This car will last me the next 10 years.

Great value this ZX3
By Prof100 on 12/13/05 13:05 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. It's roomier than my Taurus. It has every option. The car is nimble for driving around the town and on the freeway. Ford could lose the middle console. It's useless. Seatbelts are designed for child safety & you have to dig for the latch end that's sandwiched between the seat & the console. Tires were replaced with with Pirelli tires at 40,000 miles & should have been 10,000 miles earlier. New front brakes @ 32K. Rotors are disposable. Rear hatch key gasket keeps falling out in car washes. Rust is starting form on the bottom of the hatch. That's not FOMOCO's fault. That's from a dealer who repaired the car when my wife tried to move a concrete pole with rear bumper.

Owned a lot of cars
By Ace on 05/19/05 15:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've own a lot of cars, built here, in Europe, and Japan. You can't beat this car for the money. I drive a combination of stop and go city and highway miles every day and get 27 - 28mpg. Very reliable. I also got rid of the Firestone Firehawk tires and put on 4 new BF Goodrich Traction T/A's. Better handling and superior rain and snow handling. This car handles better than most cars costing over $35K. Nice trasmission, smooth engine needs more power. 150hp would be just right.

3 Years & Counting @ 40k miles
By Chelly1&2 on 09/08/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm back-Last review done 3/02. I've had this car now through heat and cold, hard and easy driving & I still love it! 5-speed manual with enough pep so long as the A/C is off. MPG varies dep. on how hard you'r driving it & if A/C is on. peppy, hugs the curves, comfortable long range hwy driver. not so great in bumper to bumper, but what stick is? Economical upkeep if you do as you're supposed to. Check out www.teamfocus.us for more info! FUN! FUN! FUN!

FANTASTIC DRIVE
By DEL323 on 06/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car is 2nd only to my BMW 3 series for less than half the price. The handling is great, steering feedback is excellent and power is adequate. Its been very reliable so far.

Nice car to drive
By Andy Tam on 03/30/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

High stability and spacious interior make Focus considerably better than competition. Fuel economy is not its better side but American market doesn't care about that much.

Great Car
By Jim Gator on 03/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been an extremely reliable and fun car. I've got 35K on the odometer and loved every mile.

Excellent Value & Otherwise
By rhmc24 on 03/17/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Considering the price and class of vehicle it was an excellent choice, would buy it again. Never imagined I could be so pleased with an entry level car. Also happy with my '03 Lincoln LS V8.