Used 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

I've had worse
By Bob B.

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new in 02. I have always been impressed with the handling of this car, it really is top notch. It's been pretty reliable too. The trunk release was the first thing to go at about 30,000 mi. Second, the alternator went just over 50,000 miles. The hood release also broke off in my hand. Acceleration is not the greatest but it is adequate with the 5 speed. I have average 22-24 mpg mostly city driving with ac on. Not bad for real world numbers. The clutch has lasted for 86,000 miles. I have not had any major problems yet and I'm not that good at regular maintenance. I can fit lots of stuff in this car and I like the fact that it stays dry (no pick up truck for me).

top notch handling super cold a/c decent all around car I'm a big guy the front seat is comfortable for me. I think this would be a good used car pick up for anyone.

overall quality not quite up to Honda/Toyota although most things have held up well

Small Price = Good Buy
By firefighter28jfc

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ZX3 7 years ago at age 16 and have only encountered one problem with it besides regular maintainence. At 36K, the front half-shafts went bad, but since they were replaced, it's been smooth sailing. I have made many engine modifications, as well as bigger wheels and a lower suspension, and the car has been fantastic. This vehicle is really worth the money.

Gutsy little 4 cylinder coupled with 5 speed manual with decent MPG's, excellent in the snow with some good tires.

A standard 6 Speed transmission would have been nice.

Great on gas, bad in snow.
By ScottK.

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had my Focus for one year and put on 15k. I didn't have any mechanical issues at all. The car was great on gas, about 25-36mph, city/highway. The car was unstable at highway speeds in snow even though it had traction control. I crashed the car in snowy conditions and was able to walk away with only 2 small scratches. I'd get another one, but wouldn't drive it long distances in poor winter weather.

Great gas mileage! Lots of cargo room for a small car.

Very unstable in poor winter weather at higher speeds compared with heavier cars.

Glad I Purchased This!
By mtracy

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a month ago and it was the best used car I found in all of Hampton Roads. I was really unsatisfied with other cars I looked at (too many miles, major defects with interior, bad reviews) and when I found this car I just knew it would be perfect for me. The compact size of the car is great because I am very short and found other cars were literally too big for me to drive.

Sound system, hatchback, good breaks, handles great on highways and city streets, and overall size of the car.

Better suspension.

This is the only Focus I will own.
By Connie

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am so disappointed in this car. I was expecting an economy car and that is not what I got. Driving is fine in good weather, but get a little puddle and this car is thrown around. get a little snow and anthing over 35 miles an hour is a fishtailing experience. I will never own another and I don't recommend one to anyone. A set of new tires that fit this car was over 600 bucks. That was not an endearing feature.