Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 119 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

great...until
By jenna77

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car right out of high school in 2005. It had 54k miles at the time. Most the time I've owned it I worked close to home so in the 6.5 years I owned it I only put 53k miles on it. So I thought it would last me a bit longer still since it had 107k on it. Well it sounded rough recently, then bam broke down. pulled the car apart and the valve seat had come lose and sucked the valve in to the intake. Spreading metal shards all through the cylinders. So its shot. Sold as is for $500 because we needed a 2nd car right away. but at least I got as long as I did out of it. Maybe a lemon?

Do not buy a focus
By max116

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. I drive it to a nd from work, less than 10,000 miles a year.
The car is the worst car that I had.
Water occasionally leaks into the cabin, which smells of mildew.
Shocks needed to be changed (front) at around 60,000 miles.
Brakes re-done around 75,000 miles, first the hydraulics of one of the drums then the main pump.
Car is not very stable and tends to skid around unless you use premium tires.
Latch in the rear hood kind of broken after 20,000 miles.
Disks of front brakes needed to be changed after 50,000 miles.

Ford screwed up my chances of going to college!!!
By ben31027

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus handles well... but either you can get one with a bad motor or one with a bad transmission.. Avoid 2000-2005 models :( Finding out a lot about recalls.. magically I have the same issues as the recalls, but that my car is not included on them.. and finding out a lot about "silent recalls".. recalls that Ford will fix only if you complained about the issue before your warranty went out, then it's a BIG [violative content deleted] from the blue oval.

The car handles well in dry conditions.. see a raindrop or snowflake.. go ahead and park it.. the car will be all over the place..

Gas mileage is all over the place.. I can get 30 MPG one day, and the next day on the same route, I can get as little at 18-20 MP

fun to drive, radio when it works...

Back doors wouldn't shut at 100k ($500). Alternator at 100k ($600). Timing belt at 100k ($400). Stock stereo went out ($300). Driver's seat wore out at 100k (still not fixed.. looking at $800). Back window regulators at 105k ($400). Overheating at 110k. Was told it was a thermostat ($150). At 115k, all of my headlights went out; a relay ($250). Goes through tires and brakes like no one's business (sets of tires are $600, since they are 205/50 R16). Ignition switch (key stuck in ignition) at 120k ($350). Ignition coil pack at 128k ($275). At 140k miles, the timing belt yet again (it shredded) ($800). Water pump was leaking at the same time; replaced. At 142k, had to replace both

Could have been better
By John

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had electrical sensors, power steering, premature strut failure, funny tire wear, clutch master cylinder and about every other problem known to man. The car gets bad gas mileage for an econo- box at average 24 mpg and I've done better and averaged 29 mpg over the cars life. This is terrible for a car that weighs nothing with a manual. Better luck will be had with any other car.

It was cheap and I didn't have to get a loan for it

Quality, if nothing lasts longer than 60,000 miles you need a better engineer

Awesome!
By susmck

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Focus totaled. It has done nothing but run beautifully since I have had it with 90,000. I knew the person who had it before me and she had no problems either. I have 136,000 miles on it and lots more to go!

Cd player, windows, acceleration etc.

Nothing!