2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great Car!!
By thinkr047 on 03/31/10 16:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan w/Zetec (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a wonderful car! I bought this car brand new in 2002. I have had 3 fairly major wrecks in this car and it held up extremely well and kept me protected! I have had to replace a few things here and there but so far nothing major. Overall, I am very pleased with my purchase and I will be purchasing a new Focus in 2012 when the new design comes out!

2002 Ford Focus
By Christine on 03/17/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but great reliability with my 2002 Focus ZTS. I still have the factory battery in it, ac works great, great on gas, I can always depend on this car to get me where I need to go. Oil always gets changed on a regular basis, regular check ups and it has been going. I'm no mechanic but the money that I have put into this car is just maintenance that you do for your car to keep running. The only thing that has not worked since I purchased it was the drivers side windshield wiper.

Would Not Do It Again
By Robert on 10/12/09 07:58 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nothing but problems with this car since I purchased it new in 2002. General frame problems at first - the front passenger floor leaked excessively, had to be repaired.Twice it has overheated, needed temperature gauge replaced, and of course the entire cooling system needed flushed. Within the past few years I've had approximately $2,000 in repairs (including problem above, as well as transmission problems, motor coil problems, all in addition to regular routine maintenance-tune ups, oil changes). Mostly the car has been used to drive to/from work, and around town, very few long trips. Now-138,000 miles,and it's basically dead (unless I fork out another $2k in repairs). Fed up!

Great little car
By Bernie on 06/13/09 18:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned this car for over 5 years now and it's been overall a great experience. The car has over 82,000 miles now and I still get over 29 miles per gallon and the engine still runs strong. never had a problem with it other than a faulty spark plug, but that is maintenance. one and two year old domestic cars are the way to go!! you get a new car at a fraction of the cost.

Very Unreliable
By Berry on 06/03/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been the most expensive piece of junk. I've replaced: the master and slave cylinders, shocks and struts, fuel injector pump, alternator, rack and pinion (TWICE!!!!). The front doors stick horribly. The air conditioning unit rusted out. The enire muffler system fell off. The ABS brake system only sometimes works and now I can't use the parking brake because it seizes my rear passenger tire and won't allow it to rotate. It wears unevenly on my tires even though I have had them rotated and balanced. The air conditioning needs to be recharged every summer. I'm a mechanical engineer and I take excellent care of my cars. I will never buy another Ford again.

my car
By me on 03/21/09 08:25 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Nice car, but glad I spent $50 on buying & transfering the extended warranty when I got the car. Replaced the heater at 62000 mi and the right front center axle bearing & bracket, oil pan gasket and oil sensor unit at 66000 mi. Total repairs about $1850, with warranty I spent $525 total.

I love my car!
By KmWorth on 03/03/09 02:57 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car for 7 months now, and are pretty pleased with it, overall. Ours is a 5-Speed. Typically, we can get close to 350 miles per 3/4 tank of gas, because we always fill up before we reach 1/4 tank. My husband and I both commute, so those 350 miles are a combo of highway and city. The only major problem we have had so far was that 6 months into having it, the clutch completely burned out, which was very expensive to repair, not to mention the inconvenience factor. Everyone mentions how smooth the ride is, and it's very comfortable. I would reccomend to: Drive gently, get regular oil changes, and visit the gas station before you reach 1/4 tank for best performance!

Use caution
By jon wheatley on 03/01/09 18:43 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Second hand purchase. A good buy although the clutch needed replacing after only 68,000 miles. Rear window motor needed replacing although it was barely used - not cheap. Nice for the money. You could buy two of these for a little more than it would cost for one Toyota, and be better off. Good handling and visibility, good heat. Not much pickup; give yourself room on the freeway. Caution: when you drive this car in snow, you're going to feel like you're on roller skates!

I'd do it again
By In a ZTS on 10/14/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new in 2002 and I'd do it again. It has pep and rides and drives great. The controls are easy to operate and the overall comfort is nice on trips. The few minor issues were corrected within warranty. Maintenance has been easy and that's a lot said at 100K miles. I have considered trading recently, but with the economy being so volatile I am quite comfortable staying in my Focus. I have every confidence in it getting me where I need to go. The mileage is OK: 26 average in town and 29- 31 on the hwy. I've had 2 fairly major accidents and feel confident in the safety of the car.

Fun to drive, but not solidly built.
By BelleCat on 06/07/08 18:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car 2 years old, and was blown away by the power and performance of this little gem compared to the Kia Rio that I had just test driven. The handling is superb; it's just so much fun to drive! The size of the car is really deceiving from the outside. I have moved a 6 ft countertop in this thing! I'm a little disappointed with some of the repairs I had to do: O2 sensor, new tires (60K mile warranty, ha!), completely new brakes down to the rotors. It is now in the shop again because the acceleration died last week. The carpet is also pulling away from the trim and the rubber seals around both front doors have cracked and are coming loose. Still, not bad for 6 years old!