2002 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
I hate this car
By Terrible car on 09/10/09 04:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was bored with my old car and gas prices were rising. I decided I would go and test some cars out. I ended up getting the Focus. 2 weeks after I bought it my door locks stopped working. 3 weeks after that I had to have the sway bar replaced. Then the motor mount. Then the alternator. Then my electrical system went out. 6 disc cd player broke. I swear it eats tires and headlight bulbs. Up to date I have had the car for almost 3 years. It has 137k miles on it. I have replaced the motor mounts 5 times. I bumped a curb and the side air bag deployed. I have had my car in the shop so many times the car rental people know me by name. Ford makes terrible cars and I would recommend you stay away.

I've had worse
By Bob B. on 03/27/09 10:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought it new in 02. I have always been impressed with the handling of this car, it really is top notch. It's been pretty reliable too. The trunk release was the first thing to go at about 30,000 mi. Second, the alternator went just over 50,000 miles. The hood release also broke off in my hand. Acceleration is not the greatest but it is adequate with the 5 speed. I have average 22-24 mpg mostly city driving with ac on. Not bad for real world numbers. The clutch has lasted for 86,000 miles. I have not had any major problems yet and I'm not that good at regular maintenance. I can fit lots of stuff in this car and I like the fact that it stays dry (no pick up truck for me).

Fun and Can Carry Like a Wagon
By nightbird7 on 03/09/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my car for 6 years and have had only a couple of problems with it, which were fixed and over with. There was a leak of hydraulic fluid into the driver footwell that required the alternator and master cylinder be replaced (I didn't recognize the signs before the alternator started to go). Later parts of the front suspension had to be replaced as they were locked up and noisy (about $200 for each of these jobs). I've never had the tire troubles people write about - you need to get the Lifetime alignment at Discount Tires and take it in as soon as you get the car as I've read it came out of the factory with the rear tires out of alignment - this may be causing all the tire problems.

Small Price = Good Buy
By firefighter28jfc on 10/06/08 23:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ZX3 7 years ago at age 16 and have only encountered one problem with it besides regular maintainence. At 36K, the front half-shafts went bad, but since they were replaced, it's been smooth sailing. I have made many engine modifications, as well as bigger wheels and a lower suspension, and the car has been fantastic. This vehicle is really worth the money.

Never Again!!
By Nick on 04/06/08 22:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Oh boy. Where do I begin with this car. It is by far the WORST car I have ever owned. I bought it for the better gas mileage... ha. My 99' Grand Am with 216K gets better gas mileage and is more reliable. This car has been in the shop for everything it could possibly go for. The motor mounts don't last. Had them replaced 3 times in the past year. New tires like crazy! I was told it is a Focus thing but had 3 sets put on in the past year. The stereo sounds GREAT!!! When it works. The 6 disk has been changed out 4 times. alternator, sway bar, motor mounts, door locks, electrical system, fuel system, you name it. I am sure it has gone wrong. I will NEVER buy a ford again and would NOT recommend it

Great on gas, bad in snow.
By ScottK. on 03/27/08 09:45 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had my Focus for one year and put on 15k. I didn't have any mechanical issues at all. The car was great on gas, about 25-36mph, city/highway. The car was unstable at highway speeds in snow even though it had traction control. I crashed the car in snowy conditions and was able to walk away with only 2 small scratches. I'd get another one, but wouldn't drive it long distances in poor winter weather.

Love it
By Kat on 03/05/08 10:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in new in 2003. got a great deal on the leftover!I love this car. Its alot of fun to drive. Ive had a few minor issues. Had to replace the battery 3 times in 5 years and the oxygen sensor once. Overall though I love this car and will definitely buy another.

Glad I Purchased This!
By mtracy on 09/21/07 10:24 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car about a month ago and it was the best used car I found in all of Hampton Roads. I was really unsatisfied with other cars I looked at (too many miles, major defects with interior, bad reviews) and when I found this car I just knew it would be perfect for me. The compact size of the car is great because I am very short and found other cars were literally too big for me to drive.

This is the only Focus I will own.
By Connie on 09/02/07 18:03 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am so disappointed in this car. I was expecting an economy car and that is not what I got. Driving is fine in good weather, but get a little puddle and this car is thrown around. get a little snow and anthing over 35 miles an hour is a fishtailing experience. I will never own another and I don't recommend one to anyone. A set of new tires that fit this car was over 600 bucks. That was not an endearing feature.

ZX5
By Jason23 on 05/25/07 21:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After purchase from private party I changed out plugs and wires, oil (5-20), replaced damaged side mirror and antenna. The 16" low profiles with alloys corners like a dream. Nice pick up with the 16 valve zetec 130 pony 2.0 liter fuel injected grinder. 6 CD changer and no nonsense dash layout provides a solid experience. I'm up to 28 plus mpg driving 11 miles one way to work. Nice quiet ride and tight suspension. Access to oil filter is difficult for oil changes. All in all a great value for the money.