Used 2002 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Worst car ever
By SOKnight

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Fords before but this will be my last. All the tires needed replacing when I went over normal potholes and they developed bubbles or got flat. Then the slave cylinder went. 3 of the 4 wheel bearings needed to be replaced, the CD player died, the shifter cable died, the front coil springs broke (there's a silent recall on these fyi), the windshield just cracked for no reason, the plastic on the bottom of the windshield came loose and the car gets water in the passenger side, and then there is that mysterious exhaust smell when I turn into my driveway, there was some radiator problem too but I don't recall what, now the A/C needs to be recharged, then there's a broken fan resistor.

Favorite Features

OK with all that, the car has wonderful handling and is a lot of fun to drive. It takes corners better than any car I've ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

Where to begin. I've only got 94K on the car and I drive like a grandma and get the car services regularly and the multitude of problems in unbelievable. Worst car I've ever had, unfortunately b/c my family has owned Fords since the 60's. Never again.

The Tank
By Amy Royer

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 5 speed ZX3 in 2005 with 48,000 miles on it and I just totaled it out with 143k miles. I loved this car but the tires wore out easily and cost $110 a tire, the housing unit for the temperature thingy had to be replaced, the cd player was replaced twice and still didn't work, the moon roof would malfunction, at 130,000 the front struts started to go and there was an oil leak, I had to replace the battery 4 times and the driver side door handle constantly broke. Despite all that I did run the car hard and it ran well up until about 115k miles and it held together through the few accidents I was in keeping me and my 2 year old safe. It's nickname was tank for a reason.

Favorite Features

Great pick up, loved the moon roof and power locks/windows

Suggested Improvements

different tires

2002 Ford Focus ZX5
By CarMan

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several cars in my life and drive more than the average. My Focus had its first repair at 112,000 miles needing a sensor replaced. Other than tires, and brakes, and oil changes this car has been an amazing one and I would not hesitate to buy another. Gas mileage is also incredible, tires are inexpensive, and the seats are more comfortable than in my Jag.

JUST SAY NO
By saynotoford

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was trouble the first three months I had it. The radio just stopped working, and I had to replace the alternator. ALL of the window regulators have broken, and one is broken for a second time. Ford UNUSUALLY built it with 3 motor mounts instead of 4, so they will wear, and it cost about 200 each to replace. Even the mechanic said he didn't know why Ford did that. I had to replace all of the spark plugs. The housing temperature unit thing is made of plastic and leaked coolant. it has custom tires so be ready to pay if you need to replace them. Mine rides extremely rough, and I do get oil changes and transmission flushes.

Favorite Features

At this point.. NOTHING.. the heater is good after you warm the car up for 20 minutes.

Started great and then fell off a cliff
By cdock

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Year One:Didn't drive it too much I lived like 3 miles from my job. only put about 3000 on car in first year. Year Two: cd changer stops working right makes weird noise and scratches cds. Take car in they swap out cd player and mail me a cd that was someone a 7th cd inside the changer when it was fixed. About 4 months later rear wheel bearings need replacement and front sway bar cracked they weld it. Years 3-7: cd player replaced 4 times sway bar welded 3 more times 60K miles coolant leak fixed 80K coolant leak fixed 81K power steering goes and oil starts leaking power steering fixed. 83K ignition locks and passenger window falls down on its own while driving repairs for year 7-8 =3,600

Favorite Features

I loved the handling before the sway bar kept cracking. Car always felt very sturdy and safe. No problem putting three car seats in the back. Like the instrument setup and the hatchback. Lots of room to put stuff. Hell, I put a loveseat from Ikea in it and shut the trunk and drove it home.

Suggested Improvements

Better sway bar. fixed 4 times. Power steering going out at 80K is not cool. Rear seatbelt locks and had to have entire bench seat removed to unlock it. Ignition goes bad and road side assistance guy says "i do this on focuses all the time" needs new ignition and keys. Cd changer always broke.