Used 2002 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
The Tank
By Amy Royer

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 5 speed ZX3 in 2005 with 48,000 miles on it and I just totaled it out with 143k miles. I loved this car but the tires wore out easily and cost $110 a tire, the housing unit for the temperature thingy had to be replaced, the cd player was replaced twice and still didn't work, the moon roof would malfunction, at 130,000 the front struts started to go and there was an oil leak, I had to replace the battery 4 times and the driver side door handle constantly broke. Despite all that I did run the car hard and it ran well up until about 115k miles and it held together through the few accidents I was in keeping me and my 2 year old safe. It's nickname was tank for a reason.

Favorite Features

Great pick up, loved the moon roof and power locks/windows

Suggested Improvements

different tires

After 9 years and 123k miles, Bev is starting to bite the dust
By lsgrant

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So Bev, my 2002 ford focus 2x5, has been GREAT for the 5 years I have owned her. Last year is when it all began. Most of the repairs have been typical maintenance things you would have to fix on any 9 year old/123k mile car, but I wasn't expecting to fix the alternator $400, a/c $450, clutch $600, and 2 of the 4 power windows (the windows!? which are $300 EACH). CD player has been broken for a few years. I can usually get it to work (except the volume control has hardcore issues), but the CD player repair is LAST LAST on my list. My biggest recommendation: find a GREAT mechanic who will give you a deal with all these crazy repairs that will probably happen all at once.

Favorite Features

I get 34 mpg highway (driving 65mph w/ a/c on), 6 disc CD changer (which is actually malfunctioning lol), CRAZY spacious. I take my car CAMPING all the time, and she's a trooper. I can seriously fit anything in the trunk/back seat. I can fit 2 car seats and an 8 year old in my back seat. The backseat is a little small for adults, but I've also had 3 adults back there, too.

Suggested Improvements

The power windows mechanism is a POS!! The part is about $175 dollars itself and my repair bill for each window was $300!! I had an old Honda before this car and the alternator never broke nor the clutch. I'm actually quite shocked to have to replace both on this car. Get a great mechanic you trust who will give you a deal!!

Great car so far!
By truckguy37

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2002 Focus ZX3 5spd last summer with 201,000 on it...for $700 drove it home! Knew it needed a couple things...didn't realize it needed more....Took the cover off the timing belt for inspection (Zetec motor) looked like the timing belt had never been replaced after 201,000 miles...the cracks were on the outside of the belt ready to snap! Had my mechanic look at it and it was very solid car no rust at all..and the seller never told me it had all new brake and fuel lines!! After spending $1,500 to get most of it done, it seems to be pretty good so far. I take it long and very short drives and doesn't leave me stranded. Getting 37 mpg is pretty good too!

Favorite Features

The heat is unbelievable! I never had heat work soo well in a car! AC might need to be refilled! The car is soo good on gas I swear I dont pay much for it at all! Im used to driving a Grand Marquis... Im at 210,000 miles right now..and running great! Id get another Focus!!! but I wouldn't get the Split Port engine as the valve seat tends to drop into the cylinder...and be sure to replace the tming belt at the suggested intervals...which is 120,000 or 10 yrs....and the Zetec will last for 300,000 miles!

Worst car ever
By SOKnight

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Fords before but this will be my last. All the tires needed replacing when I went over normal potholes and they developed bubbles or got flat. Then the slave cylinder went. 3 of the 4 wheel bearings needed to be replaced, the CD player died, the shifter cable died, the front coil springs broke (there's a silent recall on these fyi), the windshield just cracked for no reason, the plastic on the bottom of the windshield came loose and the car gets water in the passenger side, and then there is that mysterious exhaust smell when I turn into my driveway, there was some radiator problem too but I don't recall what, now the A/C needs to be recharged, then there's a broken fan resistor.

Favorite Features

OK with all that, the car has wonderful handling and is a lot of fun to drive. It takes corners better than any car I've ever owned.

Suggested Improvements

Where to begin. I've only got 94K on the car and I drive like a grandma and get the car services regularly and the multitude of problems in unbelievable. Worst car I've ever had, unfortunately b/c my family has owned Fords since the 60's. Never again.

Avoid the 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 at all costs!
By czechmate1974

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

1st of all this car has a automatic transmission not manual. I had 108,000 miles on the car and the head gasket blew and the entire cooling system failed along with the thermostat. This caused my temperature gauge to show me in the "normal" range when really I was burning my car up and did not know it. I had coolant everwhere and white smoke out of my engine. $2500 to $3000 to fix. This car had many problems over the years. All the power window motors were constantly breaking. Had to replace 3 and they are $300+ to fix. I hate this car, it ruined my life. Avoid it at all costs.

Favorite Features

I liked the sporty look and the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Everything! This car is made on the cheap. The parts are expensive to replace so you dont save money by buying this cheap car. Buy Honda or Hyundai. I would avoid the new Ford Focus models even though there have been "improvements". I dont trust Ford anymore. I lost a 2000 Ford Focus to engine failure with only 120,000 miles. So got burned 2x.