2002 Ford Focus ZX3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

Beware of brakes!
By megan teut

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

BE WARNED! This is a great car, but what the dealer won't tell you about is the "brake" factor. Ford uses a softer rotor that is designed to wear with the brake. So, every time you get your brakes done you also need new rotors. Even worse is that the brakes only last between 17,000 and 20,000 miles. So, if are going to purchase a Focus, be prepared to spend an additional $500-$1000 almost every year for new brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Ford should be using the same rotors that they use on other vehicles. I would drive this car forever, but I'm trading it in after 2 years becauseI don't want to spend the extra money on brakes every year.

I LOVE MY FOCUS!
By Gotta get a Focus

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the Focus for a little over 1 month now; I love it. Fun to drive. Doesn't look it but it is quite roomy on the inside and it does rather well for me and my three year old daughter. We are quite pleased. Never thought I would own a Ford but I am so happy I bought this car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, easy handling, the way it takes turns on a dime.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the LX had a CD player.

SVT Focus
By Russell

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

LOVE the car! My first Ford, and it surely wont be my last either!!

Favorite Features

Styling, and no top speed limiter!! 6th gear really pulls on the highway. Get 'er above 5,000 rpm, and she screams!!

Suggested Improvements

MORE POWER! Needs a supercharger like its big brothers of SVT!

Don't even bother
By jbb3y

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the only car I know of that has probles that even the dealer has never heard occur. The car has a radio faceplate attach with electrical tape at the factory (still not replaced), horrible electical gremlins (like inoperable headlights), alignment issues, will roll downhill while in gear with the parking brake on and 1 or R engaged, trunk come open while moving, seats make even 150mi drives end in a bachache, strange buzzes abound, and the power door lock have failed to work on numerous occasions. Nothing has been fixed in the nearly 3 years I've had the car, and it has been to seven dealers. Last Dec it required 6 services to fix what the dealer had broken while fixing the alignment.

Favorite Features

Handeling when the alignment is actaully correct and Advance TRAK in the snow and ice

Suggested Improvements

Import the Euro Focus or let Mazda build it

I Love My Focus!
By Gann284

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! I bought it used. I've had it a little over a year now. I previously owned a 88 Mustang LX, so as you can imagine, I've been in heaven! It handles great, it's roomy and the factory stereo is better than some store boughts i've heard. Just hit 33,000 and still going strong. I was just told the brakes may need changing already- a bit early with the mileage. It has great gas mileage, especially for a college student like myself who commutes everyday. I also like the sporty look with the alloy wheels.

Favorite Features

Everything, especially the stereo, handling and gas mileage. Great trunk space too. The exterior stylying is great too. I LOVE pampering my car to make it look good on the road!

Suggested Improvements

There are a few blind spots in the back for such a small car. It takes a good while to adjust to them and I still have difficultly at times. I have even had some pretty close calls. Also a little more power would be nice.

3 Years & Counting @ 40k miles
By Chelly1&2

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm back-Last review done 3/02. I've had this car now through heat and cold, hard and easy driving & I still love it! 5-speed manual with enough pep so long as the A/C is off. MPG varies dep. on how hard you'r driving it & if A/C is on. peppy, hugs the curves, comfortable long range hwy driver. not so great in bumper to bumper, but what stick is? Economical upkeep if you do as you're supposed to. Check out www.teamfocus.us for more info! FUN! FUN! FUN!

Favorite Features

Cruise, Hatch, roominess, ergo set-up for dials etc. Nice tight feel in turns and smooth ride on the hwy. Love getting the smiles and positive comments about how nice it looks. Love the color - Egg Yolk Yellow! Moonroof!!! POWER everything!

Suggested Improvements

More or less the same as before-get rid of that center arm rest,wipers leaving that dribble. Ford Service Dealers need to keep up on TSB's and Recalls and know what the heck they're doing & talking about! A/C stinks like mildew. Bring up MPG! I know it can be done!

Hunk of Junk
By milleragain

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Focus for nearly three years. I have replaced the tires twice. I have had two brake jobs. The wheel bearings have been replaced on every wheel. CD player was replaced, steering rack and steering pump replaced. Now it sounds as though the frame is falling apart. I am so fed up with this car, I am going to trade it in. Oh yeah, resale value stinks!

Favorite Features

Leather interior, 6-disc cd player.

Suggested Improvements

Do some serious research before buying this vehicle.

average small car eats gas
By michigan commuter

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a very average car. Decent pep. Dependable transportation. Poor gas mileage (27 hwy)

Favorite Features

Zippy engine. Overdrive on shift handle. Simple to operate.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage and rear legroom. Cupholder rubs awkwardly against driver leg.

What a lemon!
By Stuck With It

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car new and have had over 12 warranty repairs. Particulary with the right wheel arm. It does not handle well on snow and almost killed me and my children. I have replaced 6 tires and have paid a huge amount of money in rental fees. Thanks alot FORD Not..

Favorite Features

The color is nice

Suggested Improvements

Take this car and drive it off a cliff!

still kicking
By coltsmania

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

good car. I have had no problems and I am happy with it. I reccomend this car. but resale value is bad. but it is a ford.