Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews - 300 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Average car with some big goofs
By mad chalet

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used a year ago. I liked the look of the car, the format, and I have heard good things about it from Euro owners. After owning it for a year I have discovered cosmetic problems and handling problems, as well as build problems. The carpeting doesn't match the contour of the body so it is pulling away from the trim, and actually tearing. The rear suspension is dangerous, skipping across bumps instead of absorbing them. There are lots of rattles caused by poorly fit plastics. The transmission is okay, but could shift more smoothly - it seems to be hunting for the right gear sometimes, with reluctance to downshift (you have to 'punch' the pedal)

The appearance and carrying capacity.

Better rear shocks. More room for the rear seats. Head rests for the rear. Better transmission. I'm concerned about what I've heard/read about limited tire availability due to odd size, making tires

Love it
By Kat

2002 Ford Focus ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in new in 2003. got a great deal on the leftover!I love this car. Its alot of fun to drive. Ive had a few minor issues. Had to replace the battery 3 times in 5 years and the oxygen sensor once. Overall though I love this car and will definitely buy another.

6 disc CD changer, maneuverability, reliability.

None

Bang for your buck!!
By Army19k

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Recently getting back from Iraq, I felt like I needed something that would be suit me performance wise and in style. I had done so many months of research and was looking at the Nissan SE-R Spec V and Civic SI-R. But when I came across the Focus SVT I was quite impressed with the performance and standard options. Styling of this car interior wise is awesome. When you stomp on the gas you get pushed back in your seat. 0-60 in 7 seconds and the tuned suspension makes the car handle so amazing. Now, the check engine light is one of the pains that come with this car. The IMRC and O2 sensors always seem to cause problems but usually aren't anything huge. Aftermarket for this car are endless.

6 Speed Getrag tranny. Engine performance is awesome!

Fix IMRC problem and wind noise can be annoying. Make factory turbo option.

When they are bad, they are really bad
By D&J

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The fule mileage has been awful. I am a conservative driver and have had it to the dealer multiple times with no result. The car stalls, randomly downshifts, and has had to have a fuel pump replaced. I went with a Ford because I trusted that they really had improved. What a disapointment. My 16 year old Camry with 160,000 miles is more reliable and gets better gas mileage. Check these cars very carefully. I have friends that love theirs, but when there is a problem, the car is a real pain in the rear. Oh, and the 16 inch rims make new tires far more expensive, so consider getting the other model with the 15 inch rims to save some money.

Decent display and cockpit. Would say the radio, but we've had to replace three of them.

Serious quality control.

Ford Focus
By AJIowa

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has excellent handling. I am not a car person so my primary reason for purchasing was price and gas mileage. The inside of the car is a little small. Passengers in the back seat have to scrunch up and it would not be good for long car rides with four people. This car needs new tires constantly. I am lucky to get 15k out of a tire. I mean they are completely bald. I have had alignment checked no problems. I rotate the tires but barely can do it twice before I need new ones. I been through 7 full sets of tires in 5 years. The tires are supposed to get 50-75K and it isn't even close. I also had to have the struts front and back all replaced by 50K.

The car looks nice. It has a sporty feel to it.

The stereo sometimes shuts off and I have to push the faceplate back and it starts again. My biggest complaint is the tires. Every place I go to says the same thing focuses are terrible on tires. For larger folks seatbelts are small. My boyfriend was choked by his at 200 lbs needed an extension.