2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
ZTS - Great looking car
By Nodriveslow on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I recently traded in my 2001 ZX3 for the ZTS. The ZTS has the automatic even though the heading says manual. Anyway, after driving the ZX3 I am pretty familiar with the Focus. The 2002 ZTS seems for the short time that I've owned it, to be a better car. It is quieter, rides smoother (even though same wheelbase and tires)and the looks are tough to beat. One option that I have, that Ford does not do enough advertising for, is the Traction Control/Anti-Skid device. The biggest asset of this option, is the 4-wheel disc brakes. That is a big plus in the braking department. All in all it is a nice car, and with the $1,500 rebate, almost unbeatable in price.

A great car, few if any, problems
By FocusFanatic on 03/31/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall it is hands down a great buy. I have heard horro stories about the focus from different people, plus on this site, i say quit knocking the car, you paid less than 17 grand for the thing, what do you expect? Especially those of you that got it when it first came out! IT WAS A DEBUT VEHICLE, HELLOOOO, we're taliin about kinks and bugs that have to be worked out. just like when the new cougar rolled out, they had plenty of problems. the focus is a great, fun and stylish car to drive.

The Brakes STINK
By cyn_flo on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

the only downfall of this vehicle are the noisy brakes. I had the car for only 6 months before the brakes started squeaking like I had a 15 year old car that needed the drums rotated and new brake pads put on. very embarassing to drive this vehicle that way. i had the brake pads replaced after going to the dealer Many times and the car brakes still squeak at times but not as bad

Ford's nightmare
By jimmie on 03/25/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Recalls, bad bearings chewed up tires, rattles and knocks over bumps, I thank god every time I drive it (my wife is the primary driver) that it is a 2 year lease. Hate the slow diming interior light. I am Ford's worst nightmare, have entered my peak earnings years, kid's college is done and after 13 new Fords I am going to Toyotas. Drip, drip, drip, the steady loss of market share.

You get what you pay for.
By Don / Wisconsin on 03/21/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Questionable electrics tarnish the enjoyment of a very affordable car. I've had numerous lights burn out on a regular basis, the headlights aren't nearly bright enough ( a recurring problem over the last few years that Ford refuses to address ) and an intermittant clutch pedal/ignition cutout switch that works when it feels like it. The car handles well and should be fun to drive except the shift linkage feels like its imbedded in frozen peanut butter. My dealer told me "..that's just the way it is". However, whenever these annoyances start to irritate me I just look at the window sticker and my blood pressure reverts back to normal. Still a lotta bang for the buck.

focusonfocus
By clintondee on 03/20/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Sterring is great. fuel economy so-so. get up and go so-so. Rides nicely.

Impressed
By jayandrew on 03/16/02 15:30 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2002 Focus ZTS with an automatic a week ago and am very impressed. The car feels very solid, rides well and has excellent handling and traction. The weather this past week has tested the traction control and the advance-trac. Both did good. I got the car for about $400 over invoice and it came with all the options that I wanted including the 6 disc changer.

What a joke!
By unhappycamper on 03/14/02 00:54 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Focus for 11 months. During this time, it has been in the shop for a total of 28 days. I had the engine replaced at 8,000 miles because of an internal coolant leak that contaminated the oil. I have had three sets of brakes put on it. The computer solenoids that control the emissions system have been replaced. And last but not least the gas cap was defective and had to be replaced. I am in the process of working with the selling dealer to buy it back as a lemon. This will be my last Ford!!!

SWEET CAR
By MaterialBoi21 on 03/11/02 13:34 PM (PST)

Car handles great ... altough compaired to the VW Jetta it rides a little rough

My First New Car
By Scott Findley on 03/10/02 20:26 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is my first new car, and was the "weekend special" found in the newspaper. Listed at 11,400 in the paper, which included 1400 in rebates. The 400-dollar college rebate did not apply to me, so I got it at 11,800. I was amazed at how easy the sale was. All the staff there were extremely helpful, and went out of their way to make it as painless as possible.