Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

average small car eats gas
By michigan commuter

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It's a very average car. Decent pep. Dependable transportation. Poor gas mileage (27 hwy)

Favorite Features

Zippy engine. Overdrive on shift handle. Simple to operate.

Suggested Improvements

Improve gas mileage and rear legroom. Cupholder rubs awkwardly against driver leg.

still kicking
By coltsmania

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

good car. I have had no problems and I am happy with it. I reccomend this car. but resale value is bad. but it is a ford.

2 Year Update
By urlacher_fan54

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my zts about 2 years ago and am still pretty happy with it. If you are looking for a cheap car, this is a great option. Overall it is still a nice car. One of my rim caps fell off ($20). My dealership didn't send me my extended warranty papers and when I went to my dealership I got the run around. My front passenger speaker is blown and my stereo sometimes (rarely, only 3 times in the 2 years I've had it) shuts off when pushing the buttons in the middle where it disconnects. The center console was not made well and doesn't latch well anymore. I'm thinking about taking my car in to fix some of these problems but not looking forward to it.

Favorite Features

Ability to make tight turns. Comfortable chairs. Plenty of bang for the buck.

Suggested Improvements

Put a little more quality into the brakes and stereo speakers. Could use a better motor, which they improved on the new models this year. Too much road noise.

As Fun to Drive as they say
By psendab

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Our 2002 Focus ZTS is as fun to drive as they say it is! It corners great and has fairly good acceleration. This has been a great car for a family of 4. We have two young kids and they fit well, including taking one of their Grandmothers with us at times. The trunk is surprisingly roomy and holds enough luggage for a week long road trip. We have had no mechanical problems and only one repair due to a missing retainer on the inner wheel well trim.

Favorite Features

Height Adjustable Seat and Tilt/Telescoping steering wheel. I am 6' 6" and my wife is 5' 2", but because of these two features this car fits us both. I also like the roominess, we have seated 5 persons several times and comfortable enough for short drives.

Suggested Improvements

Consider the newer 2.3L PZEV engine for additional power in the hills and better fuel economy if you live in the mountains.

Ford's quality issues continue
By fcsdrvr

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had hoped by giving Ford a couple of years to get it right they would address there quality issues. I will not buy a another Ford product unless there is >30% price advantage over competing vehicles. If you buy your vehicle get a Civic at least it is still worth something after 3 years. When are they going to learn that without producing quality products the consumer will not return.

Suggested Improvements

How about a car that doesn't have the fuel pump turn off when making a hard right turn.