Used 2002 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Sedan

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Merkur XR4TI Reborn as Ford Focus ZTS
By swampfox

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As a former owner of a Merkur XR4TI, I could not help noticing the similar shape and design of the 2002 Ford Focus ZTS. At 6'4" I fit in the driver's seat snug, but comfortably. Plenty of headroom. The dash and instruments look like a work of art. You either love it or hate it. Have put 6,000 miles on it so far through snow storm, sun and rain. Drives beautifully an tracks like a true sports car. Suggestion: Use premium gasoline only. It increased my mileage to actual: 25 City/34 Highway. 34 average on a 2,000 mile trip. The increase in fuel cost is compensated by the increase in actual miles per gallon. Wanted a new 2005. New design stinks. Very, very, happy with my 2002 model instead.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, power, handling, looks inside and out, adequate trunk space, sound system, moon roof, leather, sports car feel.

Suggested Improvements

A little more leg room would be nice. Seats could be a bit more comfortable.

I LOVE MY FOCUS!
By Gotta get a Focus

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the Focus for a little over 1 month now; I love it. Fun to drive. Doesn't look it but it is quite roomy on the inside and it does rather well for me and my three year old daughter. We are quite pleased. Never thought I would own a Ford but I am so happy I bought this car.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, easy handling, the way it takes turns on a dime.

Suggested Improvements

I wish the LX had a CD player.

Don't even bother
By jbb3y

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the only car I know of that has probles that even the dealer has never heard occur. The car has a radio faceplate attach with electrical tape at the factory (still not replaced), horrible electical gremlins (like inoperable headlights), alignment issues, will roll downhill while in gear with the parking brake on and 1 or R engaged, trunk come open while moving, seats make even 150mi drives end in a bachache, strange buzzes abound, and the power door lock have failed to work on numerous occasions. Nothing has been fixed in the nearly 3 years I've had the car, and it has been to seven dealers. Last Dec it required 6 services to fix what the dealer had broken while fixing the alignment.

Favorite Features

Handeling when the alignment is actaully correct and Advance TRAK in the snow and ice

Suggested Improvements

Import the Euro Focus or let Mazda build it

I Love My Focus!
By Gann284

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car! I bought it used. I've had it a little over a year now. I previously owned a 88 Mustang LX, so as you can imagine, I've been in heaven! It handles great, it's roomy and the factory stereo is better than some store boughts i've heard. Just hit 33,000 and still going strong. I was just told the brakes may need changing already- a bit early with the mileage. It has great gas mileage, especially for a college student like myself who commutes everyday. I also like the sporty look with the alloy wheels.

Favorite Features

Everything, especially the stereo, handling and gas mileage. Great trunk space too. The exterior stylying is great too. I LOVE pampering my car to make it look good on the road!

Suggested Improvements

There are a few blind spots in the back for such a small car. It takes a good while to adjust to them and I still have difficultly at times. I have even had some pretty close calls. Also a little more power would be nice.

Hunk of Junk
By milleragain

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my Focus for nearly three years. I have replaced the tires twice. I have had two brake jobs. The wheel bearings have been replaced on every wheel. CD player was replaced, steering rack and steering pump replaced. Now it sounds as though the frame is falling apart. I am so fed up with this car, I am going to trade it in. Oh yeah, resale value stinks!

Favorite Features

Leather interior, 6-disc cd player.

Suggested Improvements

Do some serious research before buying this vehicle.