Used 2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Original owner bought new
By worldtraveller

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Ok. When we bought the focus it was the bomb. Beautiful leather seats. Great technology and cargo space and quality. Mines a automatic it never got 30 miles to gallon more like 27 highway. Also luved the beautiful french blue metallic color. As someone else said it is like a mini-minvan. I think the tires do wear out fast. I had numerous problems with the alternator. Mainly because people were putting in the wrong alternator I think for SE version not the ZTW version. Only get your alternator done at FORD never go to firestone for anything! I have 134k on it and lots of things are starting to brake. And I can't find genuine replacement parts thru ford for quite a few things.

Cargp Space, roof rack, leather seats, lots of leg and head room.

Far better than I had hoped -A good buy
By DT

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife had an accident with her 2000 Cavalier and we needed a car in a hurry. This is what we found. I had poor experiences with Ford in the eighties, but the car had the features, price, and storage for her needs. We have had the car for over 80,000 miles now (we bought it with 79,000) and I must say, this is the most reliable Ford I've ever owned, we've had very little repair work done. It handles nimbly for a wagon and accelerates well. My only gripes are very poor thigh support in the front seats (making drives longer than 90 minutes uncomfortable) and poor gas mileage for a 4-cylinder car (this car gets roughly 25-26 mpg in a 70/30 mix of city/highway driving).

Cabin heater is excellent. It feels sporty to drive even though it's a small wagon, both in handling and acceleration. Plenty of rear storage.

Adding a 5th gear to the automatic transmission would help gas mileage. Redesign of front bucket seats sorely needed for thigh support. 6-disc changer ate several discs; better to have single-disc CD/MP3 player. Moderate brake squeal even after a full brake job. Leather but no heated seats.

Great until now
By Matt in Portland Ore

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle has been great up to now. It has 75,000 miles. I have driven a mix of city and highway with minimal problems. A few weeks ago the car begain sputtering upon starting. Typically it would go away in a few minutes. This past Monday it got worse. When I pushed the accelerator it was as though it was not connected. Mechanic replaced the ignition coil but this did not solve the problem. They do not know what the problem is.

Leather seats, sun roof, stereo, exterior look

Too much road noise. Engine longevity

When they are bad, they are really bad
By D&J

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The fule mileage has been awful. I am a conservative driver and have had it to the dealer multiple times with no result. The car stalls, randomly downshifts, and has had to have a fuel pump replaced. I went with a Ford because I trusted that they really had improved. What a disapointment. My 16 year old Camry with 160,000 miles is more reliable and gets better gas mileage. Check these cars very carefully. I have friends that love theirs, but when there is a problem, the car is a real pain in the rear. Oh, and the 16 inch rims make new tires far more expensive, so consider getting the other model with the 15 inch rims to save some money.

Decent display and cockpit. Would say the radio, but we've had to replace three of them.

Serious quality control.

Focus Wagon
By don

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Focus in my family. By far it is the most versatile of them all. The cargo capacity cannot be beat by any other small to mid size wagon. Even larger SUV's are lacking this amount of space. It is as reliable as "Old Faithful". While not the quietest ride, it is not the reason I bought it. I have a BMW 528i for those needs.

Driving comfort for over 6' tall drivers. Cargo space.

Please Ford...don't discontinue this great, versatile, inexpensive reliable vehicle!