2002 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Original owner bought new
By worldtraveller on 06/23/14 08:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Ok. When we bought the focus it was the bomb. Beautiful leather seats. Great technology and cargo space and quality. Mines a automatic it never got 30 miles to gallon more like 27 highway. Also luved the beautiful french blue metallic color. As someone else said it is like a mini-minvan. I think the tires do wear out fast. I had numerous problems with the alternator. Mainly because people were putting in the wrong alternator I think for SE version not the ZTW version. Only get your alternator done at FORD never go to firestone for anything! I have 134k on it and lots of things are starting to brake. And I can't find genuine replacement parts thru ford for quite a few things.

Far better than I had hoped -A good buy
By DT on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife had an accident with her 2000 Cavalier and we needed a car in a hurry. This is what we found. I had poor experiences with Ford in the eighties, but the car had the features, price, and storage for her needs. We have had the car for over 80,000 miles now (we bought it with 79,000) and I must say, this is the most reliable Ford I've ever owned, we've had very little repair work done. It handles nimbly for a wagon and accelerates well. My only gripes are very poor thigh support in the front seats (making drives longer than 90 minutes uncomfortable) and poor gas mileage for a 4-cylinder car (this car gets roughly 25-26 mpg in a 70/30 mix of city/highway driving).

Great until now
By Matt in Portland Ore on 10/31/08 05:41 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle has been great up to now. It has 75,000 miles. I have driven a mix of city and highway with minimal problems. A few weeks ago the car begain sputtering upon starting. Typically it would go away in a few minutes. This past Monday it got worse. When I pushed the accelerator it was as though it was not connected. Mechanic replaced the ignition coil but this did not solve the problem. They do not know what the problem is.

When they are bad, they are really bad
By D&J on 12/27/07 14:30 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the worst car I have ever owned. The fule mileage has been awful. I am a conservative driver and have had it to the dealer multiple times with no result. The car stalls, randomly downshifts, and has had to have a fuel pump replaced. I went with a Ford because I trusted that they really had improved. What a disapointment. My 16 year old Camry with 160,000 miles is more reliable and gets better gas mileage. Check these cars very carefully. I have friends that love theirs, but when there is a problem, the car is a real pain in the rear. Oh, and the 16 inch rims make new tires far more expensive, so consider getting the other model with the 15 inch rims to save some money.

Focus Wagon
By don on 03/23/07 12:18 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the 4th Focus in my family. By far it is the most versatile of them all. The cargo capacity cannot be beat by any other small to mid size wagon. Even larger SUV's are lacking this amount of space. It is as reliable as "Old Faithful". While not the quietest ride, it is not the reason I bought it. I have a BMW 528i for those needs.

Great design; terrible quality.
By Jim on 01/03/06 19:27 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Engine wire pulled loose while driving; car stopped running and had to be towed. Engine sensor broke; car would not run over 30 m.p.h. Tires worn out after 25,000 miles; over $120 each to replace (Ford used a non-standard size). Rear brake pads worn out after 30,000 miles. While replacing pads, discovered bearing hub cap was never installed on one side. Tailgate won't stay open. CD player ate CDs and then stopped working (twice). Screws to open CD player require a special tool to remove. Ignition switch broke at 30,000 miles - key would not turn, could not start- drive car. Ford refused to pay for fix, despite dozens of owners reporting similar problems on websites.

Fun little car for most seasons
By Lyzardo on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Fun to drive, decent gas mileage, and well thought out interior. The traction control is great to have in MN winters. Although I thought the rear seat leg room was supposed to be decent, it really isn't. Don't plan on driving too many adults in the back seat for very long. The only real problems I have had so far are a "check engine" light on for no apparent reason at 18,000 miles, and problems with the tires. The stock tires on the ZTW just aren't too good for wet and/or snowy roads. I'll be replacing them as soon as I can. I'm thankful I have traction control, or the tires would be next to worthless in the winter.

Garbage
By herodotus66 on 04/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Do not buy a focus ztw wagon. I have had nothing but trouble with the engine and transmission, with no help from the dealer. Avoid this car like SARS.

ZTW Wagon= A great value
By xpis on 01/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Our 2002 ZTW wagon is now going on 12,200 miles in seven months. So far we have had no problems. None. Zip. Gas mileage has been 27.3 mpg (11.63km/liter) for the past 10 thousand miles. On our one long trip (Chicago to Boston and back) we got 32 at 75 mph. 4 wheel anti lock brakes work fine as does the advance trac the one time I tested it on snow and ice in a vacant parking lot. Hope I never need it. It holds two bicycles, easily, with the front wheels still on. Sound system is good, the car is comfortable, handles well and reliable. We're pleased with it and would recommend the 02's a and later.

Will overlook first trip to the shop...
By Rita on 09/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Sure didn't think I'd have to have the fuel pump and sender replaced at 1600 miles. Now at 2700 miles I'm still waiting for the advertised mpg to kick in. This is my first Ford so I have to admit my expectations aren't that high. The rear view mirror was stuck and the exterior molding started to peel away in week one. Ford has since fixed these things. I'm hoping for no future problems to sour me because I do enjoy driving this fun little car. I can feel the difference when the Advance-Trac takes over. Handling feels safe I just hope I don't get hit ; this car will surely crunch.I don't plan on keeping it much longer after the warranties expire.