2002 Ford Focus SE Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

Gas tank fell off!!
By jeje2

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2002, only 56,000 miles, very well maintained & garaged. I drove 150 freeway miles, filled the tank, and while crossing an intersection toward the freeway on ramp, the tank fell down and one side was dragging on the ground. Could have been fatal; pretty scary. Luckily some angel mechanics spent 2 hours, jacked up the tank and re-secured it. The front bolt came out, and they said it appeared it was bolted into the wrong hole to begin with; one with no threads! And Consumer Reports rates this car - year and model as one of the most unreliable of all.

Favorite Features

Nice design, clean interior, cargo space, pretty comfy (except the head rest makes me slouch forward and my neck gets sore).

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Toyota next time

Original owner bought new
By worldtraveller

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Ok. When we bought the focus it was the bomb. Beautiful leather seats. Great technology and cargo space and quality. Mines a automatic it never got 30 miles to gallon more like 27 highway. Also luved the beautiful french blue metallic color. As someone else said it is like a mini-minvan. I think the tires do wear out fast. I had numerous problems with the alternator. Mainly because people were putting in the wrong alternator I think for SE version not the ZTW version. Only get your alternator done at FORD never go to firestone for anything! I have 134k on it and lots of things are starting to brake. And I can't find genuine replacement parts thru ford for quite a few things.

Favorite Features

Cargp Space, roof rack, leather seats, lots of leg and head room.

one of the best cars i've owned
By ford_351

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I was 16 my parents gave me a 2002 Focus Wagon SE they had since brand new at 154k miles. Me being dumb at the time and still in Highschool, I beat the living hell out of it on the back roads like nobody would believe and it just kept going and going. Timing belt finally went and then the motor was toast. That's the only major problem with these cars if you have the 2.0 DOHC engine, you HAVE to replace the timing belt every 70k miles. 4 1/2 years later I'm a mechanic and happend to come across another 02 Focus again for a price I couldn't pass up. With 192k miles this car runs / drives so smooth and quiet I couldn't believe it. Just replaced the timing belt today for peace of mind.

Favorite Features

My dad is 6'1" and back in 02 he had a very hard time finding a car he could fit in without hitting his head on the celing, until he found this car.

I love this car- one of the best I have owned
By dino3721

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE Comfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my wagon 5-speed with 120K miles on it and it did not have much care before I owned. I drive about 25K a year. I had to put some decent money in it but I bought if far below bluebook. With all that said- I love this car. It is GREAT mileage. I get 29.5 in town and 34-36 on the hyway. I keep it in tiptop shape- but it is fun to drive, rides very well, and can carry about anything. The only thing I don't like is the seats are not as comfortable as I would like. I would buy this car again and I am considering buying a 2nd for a spare. I put alot of miles on a car and I have been very happy with my wagon. It looks good- however, I have jacked it out a bit.

Favorite Features

Mileage is GREAT. Lots of power. Stereo sounds good. Rides really nice. Can turn on a dime. I have put money in it but the parts have been very reasonable. Good features. I understand that all cars need parts and care- so I am a little more open than most to doing a little work. It looks good- even my 16yo nephew told me he wanted one. Not bad for a station wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort is needing to be improved. Center console lid spring seems to be be a common problem but also an easy fix. The cubby hole in the dash I wish had a pull out drawer in its place instead of open storage. I am being picky- only because I love this car. It has so much power I wish they would have put in a 6th speed for even better mileage.

Far better than I had hoped -A good buy
By DT

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My wife had an accident with her 2000 Cavalier and we needed a car in a hurry. This is what we found. I had poor experiences with Ford in the eighties, but the car had the features, price, and storage for her needs. We have had the car for over 80,000 miles now (we bought it with 79,000) and I must say, this is the most reliable Ford I've ever owned, we've had very little repair work done. It handles nimbly for a wagon and accelerates well. My only gripes are very poor thigh support in the front seats (making drives longer than 90 minutes uncomfortable) and poor gas mileage for a 4-cylinder car (this car gets roughly 25-26 mpg in a 70/30 mix of city/highway driving).

Favorite Features

Cabin heater is excellent. It feels sporty to drive even though it's a small wagon, both in handling and acceleration. Plenty of rear storage.

Suggested Improvements

Adding a 5th gear to the automatic transmission would help gas mileage. Redesign of front bucket seats sorely needed for thigh support. 6-disc changer ate several discs; better to have single-disc CD/MP3 player. Moderate brake squeal even after a full brake job. Leather but no heated seats.

Great Little Car
By cwalsh

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this for about a year but have really enjoyed it. We have put new tires and battery but that's it. I have all records from previous owner and as far as I can tell nothing major has ever been done to it. We have done regular oil changes and maintenance. Very impressed with it. I'm actually trying to sell it but only to get a van for traveling. Otherwise I'd keep it.

Favorite Features

For a small car it has great cargo space in the back, and great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Don't really have any

I survived and so will you
By Adrienne

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car for travel, commuting, and the large cargo space. I never thought it would save my life. After performing above industry spec for four years my car was hit head on and broadsided. Both air bags deployed, crumple zones crumpled and center bars held. I was able to climb out of my car the other to cars did not hold up as well. While searching for a new car there was only one car to look at the Ford Focus, now I just have to decide which model I want. I highly recommend it for teenagers and mothers with young kids. Trips to home depot and the grocery store in this car never left me wondering where things might fit.

Favorite Features

Cruise control for long distant trips, gauges large and readable, and the roomy interior.

Suggested Improvements

Split seat cargo

Great until now
By Matt in Portland Ore

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Vehicle has been great up to now. It has 75,000 miles. I have driven a mix of city and highway with minimal problems. A few weeks ago the car begain sputtering upon starting. Typically it would go away in a few minutes. This past Monday it got worse. When I pushed the accelerator it was as though it was not connected. Mechanic replaced the ignition coil but this did not solve the problem. They do not know what the problem is.

Favorite Features

Leather seats, sun roof, stereo, exterior look

Suggested Improvements

Too much road noise. Engine longevity

Bang for the buck
By mrdestefano

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Driven it for 6 years with no major problems. For $14.5k new, it was a great deal. I have the manual transmission and it is a fun car to drive. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have fit into it with all the seats down. I am pretty good about checking the mileage and get 24/28 for city/hw.

Favorite Features

Cargo space, handling.

Suggested Improvements

MPG not the greatest for the size of the car (I think they improved this with later models though).

Average car with some big goofs
By mad chalet

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used a year ago. I liked the look of the car, the format, and I have heard good things about it from Euro owners. After owning it for a year I have discovered cosmetic problems and handling problems, as well as build problems. The carpeting doesn't match the contour of the body so it is pulling away from the trim, and actually tearing. The rear suspension is dangerous, skipping across bumps instead of absorbing them. There are lots of rattles caused by poorly fit plastics. The transmission is okay, but could shift more smoothly - it seems to be hunting for the right gear sometimes, with reluctance to downshift (you have to 'punch' the pedal)

Favorite Features

The appearance and carrying capacity.

Suggested Improvements

Better rear shocks. More room for the rear seats. Head rests for the rear. Better transmission. I'm concerned about what I've heard/read about limited tire availability due to odd size, making tires