Used 2002 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Cute but always something wrong
By Madison Pickens

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I first got this car when I turned 16, I payed 4k for it. I thought it was the cutest car I had ever seen. The first time the oil was changed and tires were rotated my tires were rusted on to my car, they had to keep it over night. As a high school student I didn't have much money, especially after buying a car, it cost 160 dollars to get it fixed. The second time it got an oil change, there was a huge rust hole in the cradle, it could have fit a really fat cat. It was going to cost 1,400 to get fixed but that was ridiculous. So I got a used one for only 400, a lot cheaper. Then my ac went out, my muffler is about to fall off, and the rear passenger side window as stopped working.

Favorite Features

The head lights and brights. They are awesome. My dad just bought a 2014 Hyundai sonata and my brights are better than his.

Suggested Improvements

The rust problems, the build (very light weight), and the trunk latch never wants to stay shut.

Gas tank fell off!!
By jeje2

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2002, only 56,000 miles, very well maintained & garaged. I drove 150 freeway miles, filled the tank, and while crossing an intersection toward the freeway on ramp, the tank fell down and one side was dragging on the ground. Could have been fatal; pretty scary. Luckily some angel mechanics spent 2 hours, jacked up the tank and re-secured it. The front bolt came out, and they said it appeared it was bolted into the wrong hole to begin with; one with no threads! And Consumer Reports rates this car - year and model as one of the most unreliable of all.

Favorite Features

Nice design, clean interior, cargo space, pretty comfy (except the head rest makes me slouch forward and my neck gets sore).

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Toyota next time

Original owner bought new
By worldtraveller

2002 Ford Focus Wagon ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Ok. When we bought the focus it was the bomb. Beautiful leather seats. Great technology and cargo space and quality. Mines a automatic it never got 30 miles to gallon more like 27 highway. Also luved the beautiful french blue metallic color. As someone else said it is like a mini-minvan. I think the tires do wear out fast. I had numerous problems with the alternator. Mainly because people were putting in the wrong alternator I think for SE version not the ZTW version. Only get your alternator done at FORD never go to firestone for anything! I have 134k on it and lots of things are starting to brake. And I can't find genuine replacement parts thru ford for quite a few things.

Favorite Features

Cargp Space, roof rack, leather seats, lots of leg and head room.

one of the best cars i've owned
By ford_351

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I was 16 my parents gave me a 2002 Focus Wagon SE they had since brand new at 154k miles. Me being dumb at the time and still in Highschool, I beat the living hell out of it on the back roads like nobody would believe and it just kept going and going. Timing belt finally went and then the motor was toast. That's the only major problem with these cars if you have the 2.0 DOHC engine, you HAVE to replace the timing belt every 70k miles. 4 1/2 years later I'm a mechanic and happend to come across another 02 Focus again for a price I couldn't pass up. With 192k miles this car runs / drives so smooth and quiet I couldn't believe it. Just replaced the timing belt today for peace of mind.

Favorite Features

My dad is 6'1" and back in 02 he had a very hard time finding a car he could fit in without hitting his head on the celing, until he found this car.

I love this car- one of the best I have owned
By dino3721

2002 Ford Focus Wagon SE Comfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my wagon 5-speed with 120K miles on it and it did not have much care before I owned. I drive about 25K a year. I had to put some decent money in it but I bought if far below bluebook. With all that said- I love this car. It is GREAT mileage. I get 29.5 in town and 34-36 on the hyway. I keep it in tiptop shape- but it is fun to drive, rides very well, and can carry about anything. The only thing I don't like is the seats are not as comfortable as I would like. I would buy this car again and I am considering buying a 2nd for a spare. I put alot of miles on a car and I have been very happy with my wagon. It looks good- however, I have jacked it out a bit.

Favorite Features

Mileage is GREAT. Lots of power. Stereo sounds good. Rides really nice. Can turn on a dime. I have put money in it but the parts have been very reasonable. Good features. I understand that all cars need parts and care- so I am a little more open than most to doing a little work. It looks good- even my 16yo nephew told me he wanted one. Not bad for a station wagon.

Suggested Improvements

Seat comfort is needing to be improved. Center console lid spring seems to be be a common problem but also an easy fix. The cubby hole in the dash I wish had a pull out drawer in its place instead of open storage. I am being picky- only because I love this car. It has so much power I wish they would have put in a 6th speed for even better mileage.