2002 Ford Focus SVT - Consumer Reviews

SVT 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (49 reviews )
6 Year owner and active forum member
By nosstang on 12/23/12 21:31 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was my first car at 16 and I still own it today. As you can imagine a 16 year old with a modified SVT focus tends to think he is Ken Block... So my focus has had alot of abuse and I feel my review has some merit for a daily driven and hooned focus The car has never left me stranded but requires some timely maintenance. Common repairs for this car other then wear and tear. Thermostat housing, The car would IDLE at 2k when first started. Had ford re flash the ECU with a updated control map and fixed the problem (common and known problem) My odd issues. Ignition Coil would cut off #4 cylinder. Thus replaced with aftermarket MSD. Wheel Bearing, cracked control arm. Engine mounts wear

The Only Focus I'd defend in a argument
By svt4life87 on 10/14/12 16:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! I only recommend SVT model nowadays if you're ever looking for an american sport compact from ford. While I drove other Focuses of the same generation this model was the one that melt my heart. At first the car may seem perfect but as the years roll on, the mainenance can be costly when looking for spare parts but I'm not talking price but finding the parts which is why as long as you stay on top of the mainenance (as with any car) you'll have little heartache as the proud owner of a Focus.

Stay away!
By ihateford on 07/15/10 20:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car put my through hell! First everything was fine, then back right window broke, it would shake uncontrollably, it would stop for no apparent reason, and overall money it was not worth it!

OMG so many problems
By TERESA on 04/21/10 07:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ok, let me explain to you how this car has made my life a living nightmare! Ok I bought this car with 38,000 miles on it when I bought it I found out it had a cooling sensor problem, then clutch problem, then rack and pinion, then axle problems, then ignition problems, I swear this car is not worth what I put into it now I have a problem with my fifth gear either not wanting to going into gear or it getting stuck and not wanting to come out! Please do not buy this car!

Bang for your buck!!
By Army19k on 01/14/08 11:15 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Recently getting back from Iraq, I felt like I needed something that would be suit me performance wise and in style. I had done so many months of research and was looking at the Nissan SE-R Spec V and Civic SI-R. But when I came across the Focus SVT I was quite impressed with the performance and standard options. Styling of this car interior wise is awesome. When you stomp on the gas you get pushed back in your seat. 0-60 in 7 seconds and the tuned suspension makes the car handle so amazing. Now, the check engine light is one of the pains that come with this car. The IMRC and O2 sensors always seem to cause problems but usually aren't anything huge. Aftermarket for this car are endless.

Nice car but
By John on 10/14/07 06:47 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

So far in the past week of owning this car, I've been left stranded twice. Both times were caused by a failed shifter cable end. The other complaint I have about this car, is the non-functional 6 disc cd changer, this car will be the last Ford I own and quite possibly the last domestic. In fact if I didn't owe so much on this pile, I would be trading it for a last gen Civic SIR, or a Jetta TDi.

Great little car
By Adam on 03/14/07 17:47 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I love how this car is practical for daily driving, and also very nimble and pretty quick. The handling is fantastic (out slaloms E46 M3s, Corvette Z06, etc), and the 170HP Zetec has enough power to propel it at a moderate pace. The brakes are also OUTSTANDING. It also has tons of room to go on road trips and haul around your things. The side airbags are another nice feature for safety.

Porsche Killer
By Ben on 02/17/06 16:19 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car, needed reliable transportation, good economy, but no sacrifice to performance, and needed it all on a strict budget. Shopped all the imports, but the SVTF had much more bang for the buck. The SRT4 will spank it in a line, but the SVTF out handles cars that costs 5 times as much. I autocross it often, once entered a Porsche Club of America event, came in 4th out of 75 cars, 55 were Porsches! I'm a decent driver, but the SVTF makes me a great driver. Easy to drive and very predictable handling. I can haul a lot gear to work in the hatch, and go racing on the weekend. Well balanced car, Ford needs to make more cars like this!

good bye old pard
By DICKSTER on 01/26/06 18:19 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

I bought this car on impulse. Basically it had a practical style because of the functional hatchback design covering a tiger. I love to drive this car. It handles better than anything I've owned or driven in the past although a turbocharger would have been better. The creature comforts are just right for this type of car. It's not a plush ride nor should it be. Too bad Ford hasn't figured out how to make a car reliable. I've had all sorts of problems from bent axles to a failed oil pump causing me to replace the engine. Just replaced the dual mass clutch that literally exploded and not under stress. I don't enjoy waiting for tow trucks so it's going to a new owner who will love the handling.

SVT = KEWL
By Anonymous on 01/02/06 02:46 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

It is a blast to drive, a big difference from my 01 Focus. Interior looks a lot nicer and I grew to love the red exterior color I have. Bought the car with issues (bad previous driver), there are quite a # of TSBs on the car but nothing major.

1 2 3 4 5 next »