Used 2002 Ford Focus SVT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus SVT

SVT 2.0L 4-cyl. 6-speed Manual - (49 reviews )

6 Year owner and active forum member
By nosstang

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was my first car at 16 and I still own it today. As you can imagine a 16 year old with a modified SVT focus tends to think he is Ken Block... So my focus has had alot of abuse and I feel my review has some merit for a daily driven and hooned focus The car has never left me stranded but requires some timely maintenance. Common repairs for this car other then wear and tear. Thermostat housing, The car would IDLE at 2k when first started. Had ford re flash the ECU with a updated control map and fixed the problem (common and known problem) My odd issues. Ignition Coil would cut off #4 cylinder. Thus replaced with aftermarket MSD. Wheel Bearing, cracked control arm. Engine mounts wear

Favorite Features

Really fun to drive. Lots of feel though steering wheel. Can be used as a autocross car and a daily driver. head turner

Suggested Improvements

IF you have a SVTF I would recommend a few preventative maintenance tweaks that will save you some money. Lamin-x fog light covers upgraded tires if you are going to drive the car hard ECU RE FLASH! This is a must if the previous owner modified the car The only thing I wish I would change about my focus is that It had more comfortable seats. The non Recaro SVTF seats are very unforgivable for long distance As long as you change the oil, put 91 octane in it, keep a eye on the transmission fluid, and make sure the engine mounts are steady the car will run forever and does not need much improvements.

The Only Focus I'd defend in a argument
By svt4life87

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! I only recommend SVT model nowadays if you're ever looking for an american sport compact from ford. While I drove other Focuses of the same generation this model was the one that melt my heart. At first the car may seem perfect but as the years roll on, the mainenance can be costly when looking for spare parts but I'm not talking price but finding the parts which is why as long as you stay on top of the mainenance (as with any car) you'll have little heartache as the proud owner of a Focus.

Favorite Features

Great suspension. I love it not just for performance but also for safety reasons. Where I live bad drivers are infamous and this thing has dodged many possible disasters. Thought the Zetec engine is of my preference I respect how far it came along compared to the previous incarnations of it. The interior is great! The Red/ Black and Blue/ Black interior offered with these cars are often mistaken for being custom which says a lot for a Foci.

Suggested Improvements

The stock audio system is so-so. I love the explod speakers and amp but the stock radio receiver had to go. The headlights and rear bumper were a bit of a drag which is why I'd recommend the 03-04 model if you're bothered by the bland headlights.

Stay away!
By ihateford

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This car put my through hell! First everything was fine, then back right window broke, it would shake uncontrollably, it would stop for no apparent reason, and overall money it was not worth it!

Favorite Features

nothing!

OMG so many problems
By TERESA

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Ok, let me explain to you how this car has made my life a living nightmare! Ok I bought this car with 38,000 miles on it when I bought it I found out it had a cooling sensor problem, then clutch problem, then rack and pinion, then axle problems, then ignition problems, I swear this car is not worth what I put into it now I have a problem with my fifth gear either not wanting to going into gear or it getting stuck and not wanting to come out! Please do not buy this car!

Favorite Features

when i first got it, it was fast but of course it has a governor in it..

Suggested Improvements

do not get it

Bang for your buck!!
By Army19k

2002 Ford Focus SVT SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Recently getting back from Iraq, I felt like I needed something that would be suit me performance wise and in style. I had done so many months of research and was looking at the Nissan SE-R Spec V and Civic SI-R. But when I came across the Focus SVT I was quite impressed with the performance and standard options. Styling of this car interior wise is awesome. When you stomp on the gas you get pushed back in your seat. 0-60 in 7 seconds and the tuned suspension makes the car handle so amazing. Now, the check engine light is one of the pains that come with this car. The IMRC and O2 sensors always seem to cause problems but usually aren't anything huge. Aftermarket for this car are endless.

Favorite Features

6 Speed Getrag tranny. Engine performance is awesome!

Suggested Improvements

Fix IMRC problem and wind noise can be annoying. Make factory turbo option.