2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
This car has been amazing! I will miss it!
By tara82 on 12/11/12 15:20 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 8 years, it has been amazing, I was actually looking to see what the reviews of my car were like to know whether to take other car model/brand reviews with a grain of salt. I figured that many reviews would be from angry consumers whom may not have had the average experience with their vehicles. It seems that way to me so far because I have so little issues with this car that I am actually scared to sell it, but we are running out of space and planning to have a second child, so -we need a bigger vehicle. Our car has 165K and still runs great. I found it had less serious/cheaper repairs than our 1990 toyota tercel.

Piece of JUNK
By jcstubbs on 09/24/12 19:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We actually have the automatic transmission, it wasn't an option though. We bought this car at 99k, now at 109k we have replaced more than we could ever imagine in this beater (granted, we knew we would need to replace a few things). Replaced both back window motors, replaced the alternator, replaced two separate pieces related to the radiator (both of them exploded while driving, shooting radiator fluid everywhere) not to mention, 3 of these things broke while driving and left us stranded. We fixed a leaky transmission, the valve gasket cover was leaking oil. It dies while idling- it also continues to accelerate even when NOT pushing on the gas pedal, thus eating up our brakes. Don't buy it

Will not idle, along with other problems
By paleblueeeyes on 06/27/12 10:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought in 2001. I didn't drive it for the first year. So I got 2 good year of driving before it just went down hill. just a few months after the warranty went out. The front springs started making horrible noises. CD player ate CDs. Replaced 4 years alternator needed changing. Engine has to come out to do it. $$$ 5 years it started doing this thing where it will not idle if you get out for five minutes after driving it for a short time. You have to wait 20 minutes to work or keep it idling at 1000rpm and drive it like a stander. I had everything under the hood changed and nothing helped. Still doing it 6 1/2 years later 10 1/2 years the alternator needs changing again DONE. Getting new car

Looks can be and ARE deceiving with the 02 Focus
By himynameisnick on 05/07/12 15:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought her used at 78K Miles. She held up fine until 84K at which time the water pump went out. Then a cracked rear wheel bearing. THEN at 98K the tranny went...$3000 to replace. Then the AC would stall the car out at idle. Then a ignition coil replacement at 104K. then the alternator a week later!!! Seems like she was in the shop at least once a month fer sure. she drove fine for another 10K THEN the FREAKING MOTOR threw a valve-lifting rod! Also since day 1 of ownership, the car had overheating problems and i spoke to friends who owned the same year focus, same problem as well. All that being said, she held the road like [non-permissible content removed]! and she handled really well. looks sick too!

Ford screwed up my chances of going to college!!!
By ben31027 on 01/01/12 18:40 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus handles well... but either you can get one with a bad motor or one with a bad transmission.. Avoid 2000-2005 models :( Finding out a lot about recalls.. magically I have the same issues as the recalls, but that my car is not included on them.. and finding out a lot about "silent recalls".. recalls that Ford will fix only if you complained about the issue before your warranty went out, then it's a BIG [violative content deleted] from the blue oval. The car handles well in dry conditions.. see a raindrop or snowflake.. go ahead and park it.. the car will be all over the place.. Gas mileage is all over the place.. I can get 30 MPG one day, and the next day on the same route, I can get as little at 18-20 MP

2002 Ford Focus
By Christine on 03/17/10 14:37 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had nothing but great reliability with my 2002 Focus ZTS. I still have the factory battery in it, ac works great, great on gas, I can always depend on this car to get me where I need to go. Oil always gets changed on a regular basis, regular check ups and it has been going. I'm no mechanic but the money that I have put into this car is just maintenance that you do for your car to keep running. The only thing that has not worked since I purchased it was the drivers side windshield wiper.

Very Unreliable
By Berry on 06/03/09 11:55 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been the most expensive piece of junk. I've replaced: the master and slave cylinders, shocks and struts, fuel injector pump, alternator, rack and pinion (TWICE!!!!). The front doors stick horribly. The air conditioning unit rusted out. The enire muffler system fell off. The ABS brake system only sometimes works and now I can't use the parking brake because it seizes my rear passenger tire and won't allow it to rotate. It wears unevenly on my tires even though I have had them rotated and balanced. The air conditioning needs to be recharged every summer. I'm a mechanical engineer and I take excellent care of my cars. I will never buy another Ford again.

I'd do it again
By In a ZTS on 10/14/08 18:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my car new in 2002 and I'd do it again. It has pep and rides and drives great. The controls are easy to operate and the overall comfort is nice on trips. The few minor issues were corrected within warranty. Maintenance has been easy and that's a lot said at 100K miles. I have considered trading recently, but with the economy being so volatile I am quite comfortable staying in my Focus. I have every confidence in it getting me where I need to go. The mileage is OK: 26 average in town and 29- 31 on the hwy. I've had 2 fairly major accidents and feel confident in the safety of the car.

Not Economical for an Economy Car
By NB on 05/01/08 04:54 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

If you drive very gently, you can attain 32 mpg hwy/18 mpg city. Ford dealership seems to think this normal for this car. This car is not fuel efficient for its class, and I hope to get rid of it as soon as I pay it off. The second time I brought the car in to be repaired for leaking coolant, I was told that this make/model is prone to problems with the cooling system. In 3 yrs I've had it leaking large amounts of coolant from two different locations at two different times. If you buy this car, avoid getting the "sporty" wheels (I bought it used, so choice was made for me). They are very expensive to replace.

Reliable for over 5 years
By dk on 06/30/07 19:07 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car brand new in 2001. I have treated this car good and it has been good to me in return.The door latches had a recall on them because they would stick, and sometimes still do. My valve cover gasket needed replaced at around 83,000 mi. I have around 85,000 mi on it now. Other than that , I can't complain about the car. I live in the Cleveland area , so it has seen it's share of brutal weather. It is not the best car in the world in snow, but it is way better than let's say a Mustang. The stereo system rocks and the car handles tight and has good pick up for a 4 cyl. For the money this car is not bad (the new ones) This was my first brand new car I have owned and I am glad.

1 2 3 4 5 next »