2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
great...until
By jenna77 on 04/09/12 09:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car right out of high school in 2005. It had 54k miles at the time. Most the time I've owned it I worked close to home so in the 6.5 years I owned it I only put 53k miles on it. So I thought it would last me a bit longer still since it had 107k on it. Well it sounded rough recently, then bam broke down. pulled the car apart and the valve seat had come lose and sucked the valve in to the intake. Spreading metal shards all through the cylinders. So its shot. Sold as is for $500 because we needed a 2nd car right away. but at least I got as long as I did out of it. Maybe a lemon?

Could have been better
By John on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had electrical sensors, power steering, premature strut failure, funny tire wear, clutch master cylinder and about every other problem known to man. The car gets bad gas mileage for an econo- box at average 24 mpg and I've done better and averaged 29 mpg over the cars life. This is terrible for a car that weighs nothing with a manual. Better luck will be had with any other car.

I love my car!
By KmWorth on 03/03/09 02:57 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car for 7 months now, and are pretty pleased with it, overall. Ours is a 5-Speed. Typically, we can get close to 350 miles per 3/4 tank of gas, because we always fill up before we reach 1/4 tank. My husband and I both commute, so those 350 miles are a combo of highway and city. The only major problem we have had so far was that 6 months into having it, the clutch completely burned out, which was very expensive to repair, not to mention the inconvenience factor. Everyone mentions how smooth the ride is, and it's very comfortable. I would reccomend to: Drive gently, get regular oil changes, and visit the gas station before you reach 1/4 tank for best performance!

A not so Economy Car
By Pele on 05/07/08 20:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a poorly build car, plain and simple. I have had to replace the ignition switch twice and just finished rebuilding the tranny and theirs only 54000 miles on the car. I could accept that maybe we were unlucky and got a dud, but my brother in law has one and has had similar problems.

Great car for college students!
By KatS on 09/29/05 12:16 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since I was 16. Now I am in college and drive a ton. The fuel efficiency is great, I can get up to 350 miles on one tank. It is extremely fun to drive, has great handling. It's very spacious, including the trunk. The rear suspension is not adjustable and can be very pricey to get repaired if damaged.

I LOVE MY FOCUS!
By Gotta get a Focus on 01/12/05 11:56 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned the Focus for a little over 1 month now; I love it. Fun to drive. Doesn't look it but it is quite roomy on the inside and it does rather well for me and my three year old daughter. We are quite pleased. Never thought I would own a Ford but I am so happy I bought this car.

$160 for a new KEY
By Qix on 11/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased this car in 9/2003 as a lease return. It's been a good car thus far, save the flat tire, or the bad seat belts, the arm rest coming apart, and last but not least the $160 new key.

LX Sedan Review for Ford Focus 2003 je
By jellenmsu on 09/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am very happy with my purchase. The Focus was recommended to me from a friend of mine who had one. You feel safe in it. Fuel economy is great, especially with rising gas prices. It is fun to drive. It has a smooth ride. My only concern is that when it initially came out Consumer Reports rated it very highly. Later, it lower its ratings because of its realiability and customer satisfaction.

Ford Focus "A good car so far"
By Burnea on 07/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Overall Its an exceelent care especially for a college student that likes to road trip alot.

I want OUT!!!!!
By JAD2 on 07/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My steering rack blew two weeks into my having the car. Then the transmission started leaking. Then I had to have my rotors and pads replaced at 19,ooo (a VERY common, and expensive, problem for the Focus). I've heard I have this to look forward to every year. This morning my calipers got stuck and melted my brakes. Too many problems in too short a time.