2002 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
This car has been amazing! I will miss it!
By tara82 on 12/11/12 15:20 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 8 years, it has been amazing, I was actually looking to see what the reviews of my car were like to know whether to take other car model/brand reviews with a grain of salt. I figured that many reviews would be from angry consumers whom may not have had the average experience with their vehicles. It seems that way to me so far because I have so little issues with this car that I am actually scared to sell it, but we are running out of space and planning to have a second child, so -we need a bigger vehicle. Our car has 165K and still runs great. I found it had less serious/cheaper repairs than our 1990 toyota tercel.

Piece of JUNK
By jcstubbs on 09/24/12 19:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We actually have the automatic transmission, it wasn't an option though. We bought this car at 99k, now at 109k we have replaced more than we could ever imagine in this beater (granted, we knew we would need to replace a few things). Replaced both back window motors, replaced the alternator, replaced two separate pieces related to the radiator (both of them exploded while driving, shooting radiator fluid everywhere) not to mention, 3 of these things broke while driving and left us stranded. We fixed a leaky transmission, the valve gasket cover was leaking oil. It dies while idling- it also continues to accelerate even when NOT pushing on the gas pedal, thus eating up our brakes. Don't buy it

Will not idle, along with other problems
By paleblueeeyes on 06/27/12 10:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought in 2001. I didn't drive it for the first year. So I got 2 good year of driving before it just went down hill. just a few months after the warranty went out. The front springs started making horrible noises. CD player ate CDs. Replaced 4 years alternator needed changing. Engine has to come out to do it. $$$ 5 years it started doing this thing where it will not idle if you get out for five minutes after driving it for a short time. You have to wait 20 minutes to work or keep it idling at 1000rpm and drive it like a stander. I had everything under the hood changed and nothing helped. Still doing it 6 1/2 years later 10 1/2 years the alternator needs changing again DONE. Getting new car

Looks can be and ARE deceiving with the 02 Focus
By himynameisnick on 05/07/12 15:14 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought her used at 78K Miles. She held up fine until 84K at which time the water pump went out. Then a cracked rear wheel bearing. THEN at 98K the tranny went...$3000 to replace. Then the AC would stall the car out at idle. Then a ignition coil replacement at 104K. then the alternator a week later!!! Seems like she was in the shop at least once a month fer sure. she drove fine for another 10K THEN the FREAKING MOTOR threw a valve-lifting rod! Also since day 1 of ownership, the car had overheating problems and i spoke to friends who owned the same year focus, same problem as well. All that being said, she held the road like [non-permissible content removed]! and she handled really well. looks sick too!

great...until
By jenna77 on 04/09/12 09:11 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car right out of high school in 2005. It had 54k miles at the time. Most the time I've owned it I worked close to home so in the 6.5 years I owned it I only put 53k miles on it. So I thought it would last me a bit longer still since it had 107k on it. Well it sounded rough recently, then bam broke down. pulled the car apart and the valve seat had come lose and sucked the valve in to the intake. Spreading metal shards all through the cylinders. So its shot. Sold as is for $500 because we needed a 2nd car right away. but at least I got as long as I did out of it. Maybe a lemon?

Do not buy a focus
By max116 on 03/12/12 19:26 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002. I drive it to a nd from work, less than 10,000 miles a year. The car is the worst car that I had. Water occasionally leaks into the cabin, which smells of mildew. Shocks needed to be changed (front) at around 60,000 miles. Brakes re-done around 75,000 miles, first the hydraulics of one of the drums then the main pump. Car is not very stable and tends to skid around unless you use premium tires. Latch in the rear hood kind of broken after 20,000 miles. Disks of front brakes needed to be changed after 50,000 miles.

Ford screwed up my chances of going to college!!!
By ben31027 on 01/01/12 18:40 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus handles well... but either you can get one with a bad motor or one with a bad transmission.. Avoid 2000-2005 models :( Finding out a lot about recalls.. magically I have the same issues as the recalls, but that my car is not included on them.. and finding out a lot about "silent recalls".. recalls that Ford will fix only if you complained about the issue before your warranty went out, then it's a BIG [violative content deleted] from the blue oval. The car handles well in dry conditions.. see a raindrop or snowflake.. go ahead and park it.. the car will be all over the place.. Gas mileage is all over the place.. I can get 30 MPG one day, and the next day on the same route, I can get as little at 18-20 MP

Could have been better
By John on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had electrical sensors, power steering, premature strut failure, funny tire wear, clutch master cylinder and about every other problem known to man. The car gets bad gas mileage for an econo- box at average 24 mpg and I've done better and averaged 29 mpg over the cars life. This is terrible for a car that weighs nothing with a manual. Better luck will be had with any other car.

Awesome!
By susmck on 08/15/10 16:55 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE Comfort 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this Focus totaled. It has done nothing but run beautifully since I have had it with 90,000. I knew the person who had it before me and she had no problems either. I have 136,000 miles on it and lots more to go!

Now I know
By Nicole on 04/19/10 06:49 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car when it was 4 years old and had 30K miles. It drove nice at first,looked okay,and gas mileage is great.It has been nothing but problems since. The AC has gone out 4 or 5 times,each time Ford sent their dealership defective parts to replace the AC.Finally they sent a part that looks like its going to work.Then the alternator went out at 80,000 miles.It also had to be replaced twice because Ford sent a bad part the first time.We've put more money into this car than its even worth. The gas mileage is ok. Maybe ford should focus on building quality vehicles.Now I know to NEVER , EVER buy a Ford vehicle again.