Used 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

After 9 years and 123k miles, Bev is starting to bite the dust
By lsgrant

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So Bev, my 2002 ford focus 2x5, has been GREAT for the 5 years I have owned her. Last year is when it all began. Most of the repairs have been typical maintenance things you would have to fix on any 9 year old/123k mile car, but I wasn't expecting to fix the alternator $400, a/c $450, clutch $600, and 2 of the 4 power windows (the windows!? which are $300 EACH). CD player has been broken for a few years. I can usually get it to work (except the volume control has hardcore issues), but the CD player repair is LAST LAST on my list. My biggest recommendation: find a GREAT mechanic who will give you a deal with all these crazy repairs that will probably happen all at once.

I get 34 mpg highway (driving 65mph w/ a/c on), 6 disc CD changer (which is actually malfunctioning lol), CRAZY spacious. I take my car CAMPING all the time, and she's a trooper. I can seriously fit anything in the trunk/back seat. I can fit 2 car seats and an 8 year old in my back seat. The backseat is a little small for adults, but I've also had 3 adults back there, too.

The power windows mechanism is a POS!! The part is about $175 dollars itself and my repair bill for each window was $300!! I had an old Honda before this car and the alternator never broke nor the clutch. I'm actually quite shocked to have to replace both on this car. Get a great mechanic you trust who will give you a deal!!

Avoid the 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 at all costs!
By czechmate1974

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

1st of all this car has a automatic transmission not manual. I had 108,000 miles on the car and the head gasket blew and the entire cooling system failed along with the thermostat. This caused my temperature gauge to show me in the "normal" range when really I was burning my car up and did not know it. I had coolant everwhere and white smoke out of my engine. $2500 to $3000 to fix. This car had many problems over the years. All the power window motors were constantly breaking. Had to replace 3 and they are $300+ to fix. I hate this car, it ruined my life. Avoid it at all costs.

I liked the sporty look and the interior.

Everything! This car is made on the cheap. The parts are expensive to replace so you dont save money by buying this cheap car. Buy Honda or Hyundai. I would avoid the new Ford Focus models even though there have been "improvements". I dont trust Ford anymore. I lost a 2000 Ford Focus to engine failure with only 120,000 miles. So got burned 2x.

Worst car ever
By SOKnight

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Fords before but this will be my last. All the tires needed replacing when I went over normal potholes and they developed bubbles or got flat. Then the slave cylinder went. 3 of the 4 wheel bearings needed to be replaced, the CD player died, the shifter cable died, the front coil springs broke (there's a silent recall on these fyi), the windshield just cracked for no reason, the plastic on the bottom of the windshield came loose and the car gets water in the passenger side, and then there is that mysterious exhaust smell when I turn into my driveway, there was some radiator problem too but I don't recall what, now the A/C needs to be recharged, then there's a broken fan resistor.

OK with all that, the car has wonderful handling and is a lot of fun to drive. It takes corners better than any car I've ever owned.

Where to begin. I've only got 94K on the car and I drive like a grandma and get the car services regularly and the multitude of problems in unbelievable. Worst car I've ever had, unfortunately b/c my family has owned Fords since the 60's. Never again.

2002 Ford Focus ZX5
By CarMan

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several cars in my life and drive more than the average. My Focus had its first repair at 112,000 miles needing a sensor replaced. Other than tires, and brakes, and oil changes this car has been an amazing one and I would not hesitate to buy another. Gas mileage is also incredible, tires are inexpensive, and the seats are more comfortable than in my Jag.

JUST SAY NO
By saynotoford

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was trouble the first three months I had it. The radio just stopped working, and I had to replace the alternator. ALL of the window regulators have broken, and one is broken for a second time. Ford UNUSUALLY built it with 3 motor mounts instead of 4, so they will wear, and it cost about 200 each to replace. Even the mechanic said he didn't know why Ford did that. I had to replace all of the spark plugs. The housing temperature unit thing is made of plastic and leaked coolant. it has custom tires so be ready to pay if you need to replace them. Mine rides extremely rough, and I do get oil changes and transmission flushes.

At this point.. NOTHING.. the heater is good after you warm the car up for 20 minutes.