2002 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
After 9 years and 123k miles, Bev is starting to bite the dust
By lsgrant on 04/13/11 13:08 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So Bev, my 2002 ford focus 2x5, has been GREAT for the 5 years I have owned her. Last year is when it all began. Most of the repairs have been typical maintenance things you would have to fix on any 9 year old/123k mile car, but I wasn't expecting to fix the alternator $400, a/c $450, clutch $600, and 2 of the 4 power windows (the windows!? which are $300 EACH). CD player has been broken for a few years. I can usually get it to work (except the volume control has hardcore issues), but the CD player repair is LAST LAST on my list. My biggest recommendation: find a GREAT mechanic who will give you a deal with all these crazy repairs that will probably happen all at once.

Avoid the 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 at all costs!
By czechmate1974 on 03/04/11 07:34 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

1st of all this car has a automatic transmission not manual. I had 108,000 miles on the car and the head gasket blew and the entire cooling system failed along with the thermostat. This caused my temperature gauge to show me in the "normal" range when really I was burning my car up and did not know it. I had coolant everwhere and white smoke out of my engine. $2500 to $3000 to fix. This car had many problems over the years. All the power window motors were constantly breaking. Had to replace 3 and they are $300+ to fix. I hate this car, it ruined my life. Avoid it at all costs.

Worst car ever
By SOKnight on 05/29/10 20:02 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned Fords before but this will be my last. All the tires needed replacing when I went over normal potholes and they developed bubbles or got flat. Then the slave cylinder went. 3 of the 4 wheel bearings needed to be replaced, the CD player died, the shifter cable died, the front coil springs broke (there's a silent recall on these fyi), the windshield just cracked for no reason, the plastic on the bottom of the windshield came loose and the car gets water in the passenger side, and then there is that mysterious exhaust smell when I turn into my driveway, there was some radiator problem too but I don't recall what, now the A/C needs to be recharged, then there's a broken fan resistor.

2002 Ford Focus ZX5
By CarMan on 04/10/10 07:59 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned several cars in my life and drive more than the average. My Focus had its first repair at 112,000 miles needing a sensor replaced. Other than tires, and brakes, and oil changes this car has been an amazing one and I would not hesitate to buy another. Gas mileage is also incredible, tires are inexpensive, and the seats are more comfortable than in my Jag.

JUST SAY NO
By saynotoford on 02/19/10 17:03 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car was trouble the first three months I had it. The radio just stopped working, and I had to replace the alternator. ALL of the window regulators have broken, and one is broken for a second time. Ford UNUSUALLY built it with 3 motor mounts instead of 4, so they will wear, and it cost about 200 each to replace. Even the mechanic said he didn't know why Ford did that. I had to replace all of the spark plugs. The housing temperature unit thing is made of plastic and leaked coolant. it has custom tires so be ready to pay if you need to replace them. Mine rides extremely rough, and I do get oil changes and transmission flushes.

I hate this car
By Terrible car on 09/10/09 04:16 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I was bored with my old car and gas prices were rising. I decided I would go and test some cars out. I ended up getting the Focus. 2 weeks after I bought it my door locks stopped working. 3 weeks after that I had to have the sway bar replaced. Then the motor mount. Then the alternator. Then my electrical system went out. 6 disc cd player broke. I swear it eats tires and headlight bulbs. Up to date I have had the car for almost 3 years. It has 137k miles on it. I have replaced the motor mounts 5 times. I bumped a curb and the side air bag deployed. I have had my car in the shop so many times the car rental people know me by name. Ford makes terrible cars and I would recommend you stay away.

Fun and Can Carry Like a Wagon
By nightbird7 on 03/09/09 19:46 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my car for 6 years and have had only a couple of problems with it, which were fixed and over with. There was a leak of hydraulic fluid into the driver footwell that required the alternator and master cylinder be replaced (I didn't recognize the signs before the alternator started to go). Later parts of the front suspension had to be replaced as they were locked up and noisy (about $200 for each of these jobs). I've never had the tire troubles people write about - you need to get the Lifetime alignment at Discount Tires and take it in as soon as you get the car as I've read it came out of the factory with the rear tires out of alignment - this may be causing all the tire problems.

Never Again!!
By Nick on 04/06/08 22:32 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Oh boy. Where do I begin with this car. It is by far the WORST car I have ever owned. I bought it for the better gas mileage... ha. My 99' Grand Am with 216K gets better gas mileage and is more reliable. This car has been in the shop for everything it could possibly go for. The motor mounts don't last. Had them replaced 3 times in the past year. New tires like crazy! I was told it is a Focus thing but had 3 sets put on in the past year. The stereo sounds GREAT!!! When it works. The 6 disk has been changed out 4 times. alternator, sway bar, motor mounts, door locks, electrical system, fuel system, you name it. I am sure it has gone wrong. I will NEVER buy a ford again and would NOT recommend it

Love it
By Kat on 03/05/08 10:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this car in new in 2003. got a great deal on the leftover!I love this car. Its alot of fun to drive. Ive had a few minor issues. Had to replace the battery 3 times in 5 years and the oxygen sensor once. Overall though I love this car and will definitely buy another.

ZX5
By Jason23 on 05/25/07 21:04 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

After purchase from private party I changed out plugs and wires, oil (5-20), replaced damaged side mirror and antenna. The 16" low profiles with alloys corners like a dream. Nice pick up with the 16 valve zetec 130 pony 2.0 liter fuel injected grinder. 6 CD changer and no nonsense dash layout provides a solid experience. I'm up to 28 plus mpg driving 11 miles one way to work. Nice quiet ride and tight suspension. Access to oil filter is difficult for oil changes. All in all a great value for the money.