Used 2002 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 87 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Good Transportation!!
By Truckguy37

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun little car!! short turning radious....goes good and wanted to get to 300,000 miles which it still could! Currently at 232,000 and unfortunately because of old car/high mileage issues I decided to purchase a 2008 Focus!!
Great heater....best I ever experienced!!!

Great car so far!
By truckguy37

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2002 Focus ZX3 5spd last summer with 201,000 on it...for $700 drove it home!
Knew it needed a couple things...didn't realize it needed more....Took the cover off the timing belt for inspection (Zetec motor) looked like the timing belt had never been replaced after 201,000 miles...the cracks were on the outside of the belt ready to snap! Had my mechanic look at it and it was very solid car no rust at all..and the seller never told me it had all new brake and fuel lines!! After spending $1,500 to get most of it done, it seems to be pretty good so far. I take it long and very short drives and doesn't leave me stranded. Getting 37 mpg is pretty good too!

The heat is unbelievable! I never had heat work soo well in a car! AC might need to be refilled! The car is soo good on gas I swear I dont pay much for it at all! Im used to driving a Grand Marquis... Im at 210,000 miles right now..and running great! Id get another Focus!!! but I wouldn't get the Split Port engine as the valve seat tends to drop into the cylinder...and be sure to replace the tming belt at the suggested intervals...which is 120,000 or 10 yrs....and the Zetec will last for 300,000 miles!

WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.
By badluckforme

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before this terrible 2002 Focus, I owned a Pontiac G6 with a ton of problems to. But this is by far the worst car ever. Bought the car for 4,000 with 113,000 miles on it. Have put almost 3,000 dollars into it since then. Isn't reliable whatsoever. Me being a college student I need a reliable car and this one is not it. First cyl went out right after I got it. It started stalling with AC on. Then it started overheating while sitting at a light/parked. Had to get all new wiring in the engine, and timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, and now my current problem is the terrible vibration at 140,000!!!!!(more wrong than just this) I can't take this anymore. time to sell this terrible nightmare.

none.

Maybe ford should make a bit more of a reliable car. time to turn to foreign cars!!!

After 9 years and 123k miles, Bev is starting to bite the dust
By lsgrant

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

So Bev, my 2002 ford focus 2x5, has been GREAT for the 5 years I have owned her. Last year is when it all began. Most of the repairs have been typical maintenance things you would have to fix on any 9 year old/123k mile car, but I wasn't expecting to fix the alternator $400, a/c $450, clutch $600, and 2 of the 4 power windows (the windows!? which are $300 EACH). CD player has been broken for a few years. I can usually get it to work (except the volume control has hardcore issues), but the CD player repair is LAST LAST on my list. My biggest recommendation: find a GREAT mechanic who will give you a deal with all these crazy repairs that will probably happen all at once.

I get 34 mpg highway (driving 65mph w/ a/c on), 6 disc CD changer (which is actually malfunctioning lol), CRAZY spacious. I take my car CAMPING all the time, and she's a trooper. I can seriously fit anything in the trunk/back seat. I can fit 2 car seats and an 8 year old in my back seat. The backseat is a little small for adults, but I've also had 3 adults back there, too.

The power windows mechanism is a POS!! The part is about $175 dollars itself and my repair bill for each window was $300!! I had an old Honda before this car and the alternator never broke nor the clutch. I'm actually quite shocked to have to replace both on this car. Get a great mechanic you trust who will give you a deal!!

Avoid the 2002 Ford Focus ZX5 at all costs!
By czechmate1974

2002 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX5 4dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

1st of all this car has a automatic transmission not manual. I had 108,000 miles on the car and the head gasket blew and the entire cooling system failed along with the thermostat. This caused my temperature gauge to show me in the "normal" range when really I was burning my car up and did not know it. I had coolant everwhere and white smoke out of my engine. $2500 to $3000 to fix. This car had many problems over the years. All the power window motors were constantly breaking. Had to replace 3 and they are $300+ to fix. I hate this car, it ruined my life. Avoid it at all costs.

I liked the sporty look and the interior.

Everything! This car is made on the cheap. The parts are expensive to replace so you dont save money by buying this cheap car. Buy Honda or Hyundai. I would avoid the new Ford Focus models even though there have been "improvements". I dont trust Ford anymore. I lost a 2000 Ford Focus to engine failure with only 120,000 miles. So got burned 2x.