Used 2002 Ford Focus ZX3 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great car so far!
By truckguy37

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2002 Focus ZX3 5spd last summer with 201,000 on it...for $700 drove it home! Knew it needed a couple things...didn't realize it needed more....Took the cover off the timing belt for inspection (Zetec motor) looked like the timing belt had never been replaced after 201,000 miles...the cracks were on the outside of the belt ready to snap! Had my mechanic look at it and it was very solid car no rust at all..and the seller never told me it had all new brake and fuel lines!! After spending $1,500 to get most of it done, it seems to be pretty good so far. I take it long and very short drives and doesn't leave me stranded. Getting 37 mpg is pretty good too!

Favorite Features

The heat is unbelievable! I never had heat work soo well in a car! AC might need to be refilled! The car is soo good on gas I swear I dont pay much for it at all! Im used to driving a Grand Marquis... Im at 210,000 miles right now..and running great! Id get another Focus!!! but I wouldn't get the Split Port engine as the valve seat tends to drop into the cylinder...and be sure to replace the tming belt at the suggested intervals...which is 120,000 or 10 yrs....and the Zetec will last for 300,000 miles!

WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.
By badluckforme

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before this terrible 2002 Focus, I owned a Pontiac G6 with a ton of problems to. But this is by far the worst car ever. Bought the car for 4,000 with 113,000 miles on it. Have put almost 3,000 dollars into it since then. Isn't reliable whatsoever. Me being a college student I need a reliable car and this one is not it. First cyl went out right after I got it. It started stalling with AC on. Then it started overheating while sitting at a light/parked. Had to get all new wiring in the engine, and timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, and now my current problem is the terrible vibration at 140,000!!!!!(more wrong than just this) I can't take this anymore. time to sell this terrible nightmare.

Favorite Features

none.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe ford should make a bit more of a reliable car. time to turn to foreign cars!!!

Our Ford focus at 184k miles
By azasadny

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car for our son a couple of years ago and we now have 184,000 miles on it. We have had to replace the coil pack, plugs, wires, shocks, front struts, alternator and several small parts, but overall we are 100% satisfied. This car is 8 years old with this many miles on it and still runs great, no oil leaks, no oil burning, etc. This is an economy car that is still economical to own and fun to drive. With this many miles, parts are obviously going to wear, but parts are cheap, the car is easy and inexpensive to repair and it's safe for our son. He was in a serious accident last year and the car held together and protected our son and daughter. We had a body shop get the car back.

Favorite Features

Sunroof, tight steering and corners flat, no body roll upon cornering, inexpensive parts

Suggested Improvements

Keep making this car, especially bring back the hatchback!

The Tank
By Amy Royer

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 5 speed ZX3 in 2005 with 48,000 miles on it and I just totaled it out with 143k miles. I loved this car but the tires wore out easily and cost $110 a tire, the housing unit for the temperature thingy had to be replaced, the cd player was replaced twice and still didn't work, the moon roof would malfunction, at 130,000 the front struts started to go and there was an oil leak, I had to replace the battery 4 times and the driver side door handle constantly broke. Despite all that I did run the car hard and it ran well up until about 115k miles and it held together through the few accidents I was in keeping me and my 2 year old safe. It's nickname was tank for a reason.

Favorite Features

Great pick up, loved the moon roof and power locks/windows

Suggested Improvements

different tires

Started great and then fell off a cliff
By cdock

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Year One:Didn't drive it too much I lived like 3 miles from my job. only put about 3000 on car in first year. Year Two: cd changer stops working right makes weird noise and scratches cds. Take car in they swap out cd player and mail me a cd that was someone a 7th cd inside the changer when it was fixed. About 4 months later rear wheel bearings need replacement and front sway bar cracked they weld it. Years 3-7: cd player replaced 4 times sway bar welded 3 more times 60K miles coolant leak fixed 80K coolant leak fixed 81K power steering goes and oil starts leaking power steering fixed. 83K ignition locks and passenger window falls down on its own while driving repairs for year 7-8 =3,600

Favorite Features

I loved the handling before the sway bar kept cracking. Car always felt very sturdy and safe. No problem putting three car seats in the back. Like the instrument setup and the hatchback. Lots of room to put stuff. Hell, I put a loveseat from Ikea in it and shut the trunk and drove it home.

Suggested Improvements

Better sway bar. fixed 4 times. Power steering going out at 80K is not cool. Rear seatbelt locks and had to have entire bench seat removed to unlock it. Ignition goes bad and road side assistance guy says "i do this on focuses all the time" needs new ignition and keys. Cd changer always broke.