2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
one of the best cars i've owned
By ford_351 on 08/08/12 19:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I was 16 my parents gave me a 2002 Focus Wagon SE they had since brand new at 154k miles. Me being dumb at the time and still in Highschool, I beat the living hell out of it on the back roads like nobody would believe and it just kept going and going. Timing belt finally went and then the motor was toast. That's the only major problem with these cars if you have the 2.0 DOHC engine, you HAVE to replace the timing belt every 70k miles. 4 1/2 years later I'm a mechanic and happend to come across another 02 Focus again for a price I couldn't pass up. With 192k miles this car runs / drives so smooth and quiet I couldn't believe it. Just replaced the timing belt today for peace of mind.

Great Little Car
By cwalsh on 09/07/10 14:01 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this for about a year but have really enjoyed it. We have put new tires and battery but that's it. I have all records from previous owner and as far as I can tell nothing major has ever been done to it. We have done regular oil changes and maintenance. Very impressed with it. I'm actually trying to sell it but only to get a van for traveling. Otherwise I'd keep it.

I survived and so will you
By Adrienne on 11/12/08 12:59 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my car for travel, commuting, and the large cargo space. I never thought it would save my life. After performing above industry spec for four years my car was hit head on and broadsided. Both air bags deployed, crumple zones crumpled and center bars held. I was able to climb out of my car the other to cars did not hold up as well. While searching for a new car there was only one car to look at the Ford Focus, now I just have to decide which model I want. I highly recommend it for teenagers and mothers with young kids. Trips to home depot and the grocery store in this car never left me wondering where things might fit.

Bang for the buck
By mrdestefano on 03/15/08 18:48 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Driven it for 6 years with no major problems. For $14.5k new, it was a great deal. I have the manual transmission and it is a fun car to drive. You wouldn't believe some of the things I have fit into it with all the seats down. I am pretty good about checking the mileage and get 24/28 for city/hw.

Average car with some big goofs
By mad chalet on 03/06/08 09:28 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car used a year ago. I liked the look of the car, the format, and I have heard good things about it from Euro owners. After owning it for a year I have discovered cosmetic problems and handling problems, as well as build problems. The carpeting doesn't match the contour of the body so it is pulling away from the trim, and actually tearing. The rear suspension is dangerous, skipping across bumps instead of absorbing them. There are lots of rattles caused by poorly fit plastics. The transmission is okay, but could shift more smoothly - it seems to be hunting for the right gear sometimes, with reluctance to downshift (you have to 'punch' the pedal)

A real lemon
By Charles Zeller on 11/10/07 21:05 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

My experience with the Focus wagon was extremly bad very nice car but unreliable, was in the shop every other day begining on the first week of purchase. Electrical problems and front brake problems also including cooling problems which the dealer could not fix during warranty time.

Right Car for the Right Person
By Aaron on 11/21/06 10:15 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I do highway driving and only get about 26mpg. I had a minivan, so I wanted the availability to haul stuff (bikes, snowboards, etc.), and in that aspect it's a great fit. I call it my mini-minivan. However, I was looking for a bit better gas mileage (32ish), the windshield wipers have a bit of a glitch, the bolts that hold the air filter box together are somehow defunct. But other than that I am overall happy with the car. I wished it would have been easy to find one with a stick and there is no RMP gauge on the SE. I have a few Mustangs also, so I miss the power. The 130 hp engine does the job, but no burnouts. The car does handle very well and feels sportier than it should.

Well laid out, poorly built
By Phil on 05/16/06 09:05 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car as students, and chose the wagon because we took lots of road trips and camped a lot. The car is very roomy for cargo storage, and the roof rack has come in handy more than once. The ergonomics of the dash and radio are great, the fuel economy is good. Our issues with the car have really been in the quality of the build rather than in its design. Front springs broke at 50K, one spark plug stopped firing at 30K (covered by warranty), we've gone through three sets of tires despite regular alignment and rotations, brakes are small and wear away quickly, and rear license plate light fell out at about 22K miles. Rear window no longer goes up if it gets put down.

The best car I've bought so far!
By Michelle Jones on 03/01/06 07:12 AM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is the best car I've bought so far. Besides the fact that it's very fun to drive, it handles the road very well and has tons of storage space. I have made many trips to Ikea and have fit very large boxes in my car, while other people next to me in pick-up trucks had a hard time fitting smaller boxes in their trucks. It's great on gas (about 30 miles average, more on the freeway) and has plenty of horsepower. I would recommend this car to anybody who likes the convenience of a wagon and the sportiness of the Focus.

A little bumpy
By Robert Smith on 10/17/05 22:56 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

The Focus wagon is great if you don't use it to haul stuff. I keep the rear seats folded down and carry approximately 500 pounds of tools and parts. The camber for the rear tires is non-adjustable. The rear tires will cup out in 8000 miles. Fords excuse is to rotate the tires every 2,500 miles. I installed modified rear end bolts that allows adjustment of camber. Rear tires now get 25,000 miles. Only get 25 MPG highway. Car handles like a boat.