Used 2002 Ford Focus SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Love thiscar
By franker01

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it several years ago with about 100K on it. Now pushing 200K. It did break a timing belt which cost me some but that was because the previous owner never had it replaced which I didn't know. Doesn't hold freon but neither does my wife's 5 year old Sienna so that is about 50 bucks a year to recharge. It is a very serviceable car that gets me places and is OK to drive. Looking into buying a newer model.

Cute but always something wrong
By Madison Pickens

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I first got this car when I turned 16, I payed 4k for it. I thought it was the cutest car I had ever seen. The first time the oil was changed and tires were rotated my tires were rusted on to my car, they had to keep it over night. As a high school student I didn't have much money, especially after buying a car, it cost 160 dollars to get it fixed. The second time it got an oil change, there was a huge rust hole in the cradle, it could have fit a really fat cat. It was going to cost 1,400 to get fixed but that was ridiculous. So I got a used one for only 400, a lot cheaper. Then my ac went out, my muffler is about to fall off, and the rear passenger side window as stopped working.

The head lights and brights. They are awesome. My dad just bought a 2014 Hyundai sonata and my brights are better than his.

The rust problems, the build (very light weight), and the trunk latch never wants to stay shut.

Gas tank fell off!!
By jeje2

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2002, only 56,000 miles, very well maintained & garaged. I drove 150 freeway miles, filled the tank, and while crossing an intersection toward the freeway on ramp, the tank fell down and one side was dragging on the ground. Could have been fatal; pretty scary. Luckily some angel mechanics spent 2 hours, jacked up the tank and re-secured it. The front bolt came out, and they said it appeared it was bolted into the wrong hole to begin with; one with no threads! And Consumer Reports rates this car - year and model as one of the most unreliable of all.

Nice design, clean interior, cargo space, pretty comfy (except the head rest makes me slouch forward and my neck gets sore).

Buy a Toyota next time

one of the best cars i've owned
By ford_351

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I was 16 my parents gave me a 2002 Focus Wagon SE they had since brand new at 154k miles. Me being dumb at the time and still in Highschool, I beat the living hell out of it on the back roads like nobody would believe and it just kept going and going. Timing belt finally went and then the motor was toast. That's the only major problem with these cars if you have the 2.0 DOHC engine, you HAVE to replace the timing belt every 70k miles. 4 1/2 years later I'm a mechanic and happend to come across another 02 Focus again for a price I couldn't pass up. With 192k miles this car runs / drives so smooth and quiet I couldn't believe it. Just replaced the timing belt today for peace of mind.

My dad is 6'1" and back in 02 he had a very hard time finding a car he could fit in without hitting his head on the celing, until he found this car.

Great Little Car
By cwalsh

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I have only had this for about a year but have really enjoyed it. We have put new tires and battery but that's it. I have all records from previous owner and as far as I can tell nothing major has ever been done to it. We have done regular oil changes and maintenance. Very impressed with it. I'm actually trying to sell it but only to get a van for traveling. Otherwise I'd keep it.

For a small car it has great cargo space in the back, and great gas mileage.

Don't really have any