Used 2002 Ford Focus LX Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2002 Ford Focus

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

great...until
By jenna77

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Got this car right out of high school in 2005. It had 54k miles at the time. Most the time I've owned it I worked close to home so in the 6.5 years I owned it I only put 53k miles on it. So I thought it would last me a bit longer still since it had 107k on it. Well it sounded rough recently, then bam broke down. pulled the car apart and the valve seat had come lose and sucked the valve in to the intake. Spreading metal shards all through the cylinders. So its shot. Sold as is for $500 because we needed a 2nd car right away. but at least I got as long as I did out of it. Maybe a lemon?

Could have been better
By John

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had electrical sensors, power steering, premature strut failure, funny tire wear, clutch master cylinder and about every other problem known to man. The car gets bad gas mileage for an econo- box at average 24 mpg and I've done better and averaged 29 mpg over the cars life. This is terrible for a car that weighs nothing with a manual. Better luck will be had with any other car.

It was cheap and I didn't have to get a loan for it

Quality, if nothing lasts longer than 60,000 miles you need a better engineer

I love my car!
By KmWorth

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this car for 7 months now, and are pretty pleased with it, overall. Ours is a 5-Speed. Typically, we can get close to 350 miles per 3/4 tank of gas, because we always fill up before we reach 1/4 tank. My husband and I both commute, so those 350 miles are a combo of highway and city. The only major problem we have had so far was that 6 months into having it, the clutch completely burned out, which was very expensive to repair, not to mention the inconvenience factor. Everyone mentions how smooth the ride is, and it's very comfortable. I would reccomend to: Drive gently, get regular oil changes, and visit the gas station before you reach 1/4 tank for best performance!

5-Speed manual, Hide-A-Key in magnetic box underneath car, Very nice speakers, Smooth drive, Tinted windows, Handles very easily, Large trunk.

I wish we got closer to 40mpg. I also wish we had power locks/windows. Another thing is that we only have one key, because of the weird computer chip thing that Ford puts in the key. Basically, we can get another copy of the key, but it'll only work for the door.

A not so Economy Car
By Pele

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is a poorly build car, plain and simple. I have had to replace the ignition switch twice and just finished rebuilding the tranny and theirs only 54000 miles on the car. I could accept that maybe we were unlucky and got a dud, but my brother in law has one and has had similar problems.

Spacious interior and lots of trunk space for a compact sedan.

Try building a reliable vehicle. Three major repairs on a 5 1/2 year old car is too many.

Great car for college students!
By KatS

2002 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car since I was 16. Now I am in college and drive a ton. The fuel efficiency is great, I can get up to 350 miles on one tank. It is extremely fun to drive, has great handling. It's very spacious, including the trunk. The rear suspension is not adjustable and can be very pricey to get repaired if damaged.

Lots of room, fuel efficiency, rides nicely.

Rear suspension needs to be adjustable.