Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Love thiscar
By franker01

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Bought it several years ago with about 100K on it. Now pushing 200K. It did break a timing belt which cost me some but that was because the previous owner never had it replaced which I didn't know. Doesn't hold freon but neither does my wife's 5 year old Sienna so that is about 50 bucks a year to recharge. It is a very serviceable car that gets me places and is OK to drive. Looking into buying a newer model.

Cute but always something wrong
By Madison Pickens

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I first got this car when I turned 16, I payed 4k for it. I thought it was the cutest car I had ever seen. The first time the oil was changed and tires were rotated my tires were rusted on to my car, they had to keep it over night. As a high school student I didn't have much money, especially after buying a car, it cost 160 dollars to get it fixed. The second time it got an oil change, there was a huge rust hole in the cradle, it could have fit a really fat cat. It was going to cost 1,400 to get fixed but that was ridiculous. So I got a used one for only 400, a lot cheaper. Then my ac went out, my muffler is about to fall off, and the rear passenger side window as stopped working.

The head lights and brights. They are awesome. My dad just bought a 2014 Hyundai sonata and my brights are better than his.

The rust problems, the build (very light weight), and the trunk latch never wants to stay shut.

Worst car
By Kienna Summer Shkopich-Weddell

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid 500 dollars for this car and drove it for exactly one year. After replacing all 4 wheel bearings, the front right spring, plus having to refill the antifreeze every morning during the winter months in Northern Canada, I gave up and took it to the dump. I wanted to set this car on fire every single day that I owned it. I do not recommend, I would not say that this is a safe car. Much happier with my older 1990 Honda Accord.

Gas tank fell off!!
By jeje2

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2002, only 56,000 miles, very well maintained & garaged. I drove 150 freeway miles, filled the tank, and while crossing an intersection toward the freeway on ramp, the tank fell down and one side was dragging on the ground. Could have been fatal; pretty scary. Luckily some angel mechanics spent 2 hours, jacked up the tank and re-secured it. The front bolt came out, and they said it appeared it was bolted into the wrong hole to begin with; one with no threads! And Consumer Reports rates this car - year and model as one of the most unreliable of all.

Nice design, clean interior, cargo space, pretty comfy (except the head rest makes me slouch forward and my neck gets sore).

Buy a Toyota next time

Original owner bought new
By worldtraveller

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Ok. When we bought the focus it was the bomb. Beautiful leather seats. Great technology and cargo space and quality. Mines a automatic it never got 30 miles to gallon more like 27 highway. Also luved the beautiful french blue metallic color. As someone else said it is like a mini-minvan. I think the tires do wear out fast. I had numerous problems with the alternator. Mainly because people were putting in the wrong alternator I think for SE version not the ZTW version. Only get your alternator done at FORD never go to firestone for anything! I have 134k on it and lots of things are starting to brake. And I can't find genuine replacement parts thru ford for quite a few things.

Cargp Space, roof rack, leather seats, lots of leg and head room.