2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Original owner bought new
By worldtraveller on 06/23/14 08:51 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Ok. When we bought the focus it was the bomb. Beautiful leather seats. Great technology and cargo space and quality. Mines a automatic it never got 30 miles to gallon more like 27 highway. Also luved the beautiful french blue metallic color. As someone else said it is like a mini-minvan. I think the tires do wear out fast. I had numerous problems with the alternator. Mainly because people were putting in the wrong alternator I think for SE version not the ZTW version. Only get your alternator done at FORD never go to firestone for anything! I have 134k on it and lots of things are starting to brake. And I can't find genuine replacement parts thru ford for quite a few things.

Great car so far!
By truckguy37 on 04/27/14 10:26 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2002 Focus ZX3 5spd last summer with 201,000 on it...for $700 drove it home! Knew it needed a couple things...didn't realize it needed more....Took the cover off the timing belt for inspection (Zetec motor) looked like the timing belt had never been replaced after 201,000 miles...the cracks were on the outside of the belt ready to snap! Had my mechanic look at it and it was very solid car no rust at all..and the seller never told me it had all new brake and fuel lines!! After spending $1,500 to get most of it done, it seems to be pretty good so far. I take it long and very short drives and doesn't leave me stranded. Getting 37 mpg is pretty good too!

WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.
By badluckforme on 12/13/13 20:01 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before this terrible 2002 Focus, I owned a Pontiac G6 with a ton of problems to. But this is by far the worst car ever. Bought the car for 4,000 with 113,000 miles on it. Have put almost 3,000 dollars into it since then. Isn't reliable whatsoever. Me being a college student I need a reliable car and this one is not it. First cyl went out right after I got it. It started stalling with AC on. Then it started overheating while sitting at a light/parked. Had to get all new wiring in the engine, and timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, and now my current problem is the terrible vibration at 140,000!!!!!(more wrong than just this) I can't take this anymore. time to sell this terrible nightmare.

6 Year owner and active forum member
By nosstang on 12/23/12 21:31 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

This was my first car at 16 and I still own it today. As you can imagine a 16 year old with a modified SVT focus tends to think he is Ken Block... So my focus has had alot of abuse and I feel my review has some merit for a daily driven and hooned focus The car has never left me stranded but requires some timely maintenance. Common repairs for this car other then wear and tear. Thermostat housing, The car would IDLE at 2k when first started. Had ford re flash the ECU with a updated control map and fixed the problem (common and known problem) My odd issues. Ignition Coil would cut off #4 cylinder. Thus replaced with aftermarket MSD. Wheel Bearing, cracked control arm. Engine mounts wear

This car has been amazing! I will miss it!
By tara82 on 12/11/12 15:20 PM (PST)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for 8 years, it has been amazing, I was actually looking to see what the reviews of my car were like to know whether to take other car model/brand reviews with a grain of salt. I figured that many reviews would be from angry consumers whom may not have had the average experience with their vehicles. It seems that way to me so far because I have so little issues with this car that I am actually scared to sell it, but we are running out of space and planning to have a second child, so -we need a bigger vehicle. Our car has 165K and still runs great. I found it had less serious/cheaper repairs than our 1990 toyota tercel.

The Only Focus I'd defend in a argument
By svt4life87 on 10/14/12 16:13 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SVT 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 6M)

Great car! I only recommend SVT model nowadays if you're ever looking for an american sport compact from ford. While I drove other Focuses of the same generation this model was the one that melt my heart. At first the car may seem perfect but as the years roll on, the mainenance can be costly when looking for spare parts but I'm not talking price but finding the parts which is why as long as you stay on top of the mainenance (as with any car) you'll have little heartache as the proud owner of a Focus.

Piece of JUNK
By jcstubbs on 09/24/12 19:43 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We actually have the automatic transmission, it wasn't an option though. We bought this car at 99k, now at 109k we have replaced more than we could ever imagine in this beater (granted, we knew we would need to replace a few things). Replaced both back window motors, replaced the alternator, replaced two separate pieces related to the radiator (both of them exploded while driving, shooting radiator fluid everywhere) not to mention, 3 of these things broke while driving and left us stranded. We fixed a leaky transmission, the valve gasket cover was leaking oil. It dies while idling- it also continues to accelerate even when NOT pushing on the gas pedal, thus eating up our brakes. Don't buy it

one of the best cars i've owned
By ford_351 on 08/08/12 19:24 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

When I was 16 my parents gave me a 2002 Focus Wagon SE they had since brand new at 154k miles. Me being dumb at the time and still in Highschool, I beat the living hell out of it on the back roads like nobody would believe and it just kept going and going. Timing belt finally went and then the motor was toast. That's the only major problem with these cars if you have the 2.0 DOHC engine, you HAVE to replace the timing belt every 70k miles. 4 1/2 years later I'm a mechanic and happend to come across another 02 Focus again for a price I couldn't pass up. With 192k miles this car runs / drives so smooth and quiet I couldn't believe it. Just replaced the timing belt today for peace of mind.

Will not idle, along with other problems
By paleblueeeyes on 06/27/12 10:43 AM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought in 2001. I didn't drive it for the first year. So I got 2 good year of driving before it just went down hill. just a few months after the warranty went out. The front springs started making horrible noises. CD player ate CDs. Replaced 4 years alternator needed changing. Engine has to come out to do it. $$$ 5 years it started doing this thing where it will not idle if you get out for five minutes after driving it for a short time. You have to wait 20 minutes to work or keep it idling at 1000rpm and drive it like a stander. I had everything under the hood changed and nothing helped. Still doing it 6 1/2 years later 10 1/2 years the alternator needs changing again DONE. Getting new car

I love this car- one of the best I have owned
By dino3721 on 06/02/12 13:38 PM (PDT)

2002 Ford Focus SE Comfort 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my wagon 5-speed with 120K miles on it and it did not have much care before I owned. I drive about 25K a year. I had to put some decent money in it but I bought if far below bluebook. With all that said- I love this car. It is GREAT mileage. I get 29.5 in town and 34-36 on the hyway. I keep it in tiptop shape- but it is fun to drive, rides very well, and can carry about anything. The only thing I don't like is the seats are not as comfortable as I would like. I would buy this car again and I am considering buying a 2nd for a spare. I put alot of miles on a car and I have been very happy with my wagon. It looks good- however, I have jacked it out a bit.