Used 2002 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Worst car
By Kienna Summer Shkopich-Weddell

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid 500 dollars for this car and drove it for exactly one year. After replacing all 4 wheel bearings, the front right spring, plus having to refill the antifreeze every morning during the winter months in Northern Canada, I gave up and took it to the dump. I wanted to set this car on fire every single day that I owned it. I do not recommend, I would not say that this is a safe car. Much happier with my older 1990 Honda Accord.

Gas tank fell off!!
By jeje2

2002 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

2002, only 56,000 miles, very well maintained & garaged. I drove 150 freeway miles, filled the tank, and while crossing an intersection toward the freeway on ramp, the tank fell down and one side was dragging on the ground. Could have been fatal; pretty scary. Luckily some angel mechanics spent 2 hours, jacked up the tank and re-secured it. The front bolt came out, and they said it appeared it was bolted into the wrong hole to begin with; one with no threads! And Consumer Reports rates this car - year and model as one of the most unreliable of all.

Favorite Features

Nice design, clean interior, cargo space, pretty comfy (except the head rest makes me slouch forward and my neck gets sore).

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Toyota next time

Original owner bought new
By worldtraveller

2002 Ford Focus ZTW 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Ok. When we bought the focus it was the bomb. Beautiful leather seats. Great technology and cargo space and quality. Mines a automatic it never got 30 miles to gallon more like 27 highway. Also luved the beautiful french blue metallic color. As someone else said it is like a mini-minvan. I think the tires do wear out fast. I had numerous problems with the alternator. Mainly because people were putting in the wrong alternator I think for SE version not the ZTW version. Only get your alternator done at FORD never go to firestone for anything! I have 134k on it and lots of things are starting to brake. And I can't find genuine replacement parts thru ford for quite a few things.

Favorite Features

Cargp Space, roof rack, leather seats, lots of leg and head room.

Great car so far!
By truckguy37

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this 2002 Focus ZX3 5spd last summer with 201,000 on it...for $700 drove it home! Knew it needed a couple things...didn't realize it needed more....Took the cover off the timing belt for inspection (Zetec motor) looked like the timing belt had never been replaced after 201,000 miles...the cracks were on the outside of the belt ready to snap! Had my mechanic look at it and it was very solid car no rust at all..and the seller never told me it had all new brake and fuel lines!! After spending $1,500 to get most of it done, it seems to be pretty good so far. I take it long and very short drives and doesn't leave me stranded. Getting 37 mpg is pretty good too!

Favorite Features

The heat is unbelievable! I never had heat work soo well in a car! AC might need to be refilled! The car is soo good on gas I swear I dont pay much for it at all! Im used to driving a Grand Marquis... Im at 210,000 miles right now..and running great! Id get another Focus!!! but I wouldn't get the Split Port engine as the valve seat tends to drop into the cylinder...and be sure to replace the tming belt at the suggested intervals...which is 120,000 or 10 yrs....and the Zetec will last for 300,000 miles!

WORST CAR I'VE EVER OWNED.
By badluckforme

2002 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Before this terrible 2002 Focus, I owned a Pontiac G6 with a ton of problems to. But this is by far the worst car ever. Bought the car for 4,000 with 113,000 miles on it. Have put almost 3,000 dollars into it since then. Isn't reliable whatsoever. Me being a college student I need a reliable car and this one is not it. First cyl went out right after I got it. It started stalling with AC on. Then it started overheating while sitting at a light/parked. Had to get all new wiring in the engine, and timing belt, water pump, fuel filter, and now my current problem is the terrible vibration at 140,000!!!!!(more wrong than just this) I can't take this anymore. time to sell this terrible nightmare.

Favorite Features

none.

Suggested Improvements

Maybe ford should make a bit more of a reliable car. time to turn to foreign cars!!!