My First Car.
By dierad53 on
2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)
I bought this car over a year ago and should've taken it to a mechanic. I bought it for $1200 from a guy in my town. It had 251000 miles on it. I drove it 3 thousand miles the first month I had it. To date I have replaced the battery(it had a go-cart battery when I bought it), rear wheel bearings, rear and front brakes, alternator, full front suspension, new tires. So far I probably have about 3200 dollars into it and it now needs a new engine. I got screwed by the former owner but i love this car. I will drive it for years. Great gas mileage and drifts well. Ive gotten it to 110 before new suspension. Then i hit a hawk. I love this car and enjoy doing work on it. Love my ZX3.
Favorite Features
It will be fast when i have a new engine. Wont be worn to dirt. I took it to Ohio and it hardly broke down on me. Word to the wise. Don't take private sellers at their word have a good mechanic. The car will tell the truth. I have gotten 35 mpg on the highway and roughly 26 city. It is amazing in snow and love drifting on the lake(frozen). Wish it were 4x4 or had more offroading options. This car goes off jumps and mudding. Also is green bay packers colors. It is basically a truck. I have fit a dining room table in the hatch and two kayaks on the roof. I have also taken it off-roading. Doesn't forde creeks well but i got through it.
Suggested Improvements
Have a Mechanic look over any car before you buy it. I would say to put roof racks on the car and a brush guard. I would also raise the suspension by an inch or so. Rear bumper is garbage. i would replace it with a steel bumper and attach a winch to the front. This car is very durable. Car is a bit front heavy. Oil filter is in the worst location and alternator is in a bad place. This car is perfect for a teenager who is adventurous and reckless. It is also very safe. Have not gotten into an accident yet. Can fit four kegs of soda in the back.