2001 Ford Focus 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Fun Car, Mostly Reliable

2001 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Review

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Fun Car, Mostly Reliable
By Helen on

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned my Focus for 3 years now. I've put about 20,000 miles on it, and about $3,000 in repairs. I was told that the body is German engineering, and the front suspension is by ford....which is where the majority of the problems have been. Replaced the struts, ball bearings, etc ($1600 and $300-ish), and I still think there's something wrong with the suspension. Also had a distributor problem which caused the car to run at half power (cost about $500 to repair) Recently replaced the coolant reservoir and cooling fan ($380), and am saving up for repairs for an EGR issue (check engine light is on). Car gets about 27 MPG, and is super fun to drive when...it runs well.

Favorite Features

The general look, tight steering, and quiet interior. Back seats fold down completely for extra cargo space. It's super comfortable, and fits tall and short people well. Zetec engine has pep. Car has kind of a cult following online, so it's fun to be a part of it.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are designed poorly. It would have been a much better car if Ford hadn't meddled. Back breaks squeal (common problem with this year). Volume button on radio never works right. Has had several recalls, but it's very hard to track them down.