2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Focus a Lemon...Last Ford for me!
By RFMiller on 01/05/06 16:21 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 Ford Focus in 2003 after hitting 185k on my Escort. I thought it was a cute car with great gas mileage (which was important because I commuted 1 1/2 hrs to graduate school everyday). The brake pads and rotors had to be replaced 3 times (I'm not a fast driver, I've only replaced the brakes once in my '99 Subaru). A spring in the front rusted out and for some reason wasn't included in the recall. The trunk latch was recalled, but no Ford dealer has the part. To make matters worse, the car all of a sudden started stalling and slipping gears. Now it wont go up hills (great to have in New England!) or accelerate. The car is useless for city driving. This car is a LEMON!

Don't buy this year
By Heather on 12/20/05 19:02 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Since I got this car I have had to replace a fuel pump (recall but still stunk), and am now having to mess with my transmission. I don't know if it is just my car or all 2001 Focuses, but I hate it.

It's costing me now
By laura4953 on 10/22/05 13:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car I ever bought. I researched it and got a fairly decent deal. However I've had a lot of mechanical problems with it. It was at the dealer for a week cause it wouldn't start. And more recently it hss taken to not starting and sporadically stalling. I took it to 1 dealer and they claimed the stalling was from a faulty fuel pump and fixed it under warranty. Two weeks later it was still stalling and I took it to another dealer, because I moved, and it's been there for over a month and they have no clue what's wrong with it. A real mind boggler they said. I've spent a fortune in rental and repairs and its still broken. All I can say is I'm never buying Ford again!

No problems after warranty
By Sqoug on 10/19/05 00:37 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Focus seems to be the opposite of the usual. I have had quite a few problems with it in the first 36k miles, but after that no problems at all. The things that failed were: - hood was repainted because someone at the dealership dented it, - dash was replaced because of weird squeaks in hot weather, - alternator failed and was replaced, - rear wheel bearing seized and was replaced, - engine computer was reprogrammed - engine hesitated in the 2k-3k rpm range. But I had no problems after 36k miles. I do all the maintenance on the car. Stock tires lasted about 32k miles, and front brake pads lasted about 35k miles.

ARRRRGGGHHHHH!
By NoMoreFords!!!! on 07/14/05 00:41 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Another gremlin in the electrical system is blowing the resistor that controls the A/C & blower. Other gremlins have been blowing out tail lamp bulbs every 3-5 months. The dealers are useless. The car is on its 3rd set of brake pads & rotors in the front. The car arrived with the power lock controls not plugged in. The wheel bearings have been replaced. The air bypass control valve has been replaced. The dealer's collision center took a month & many return trips to fix minor rear end damage. The dealer closed the hood with the prop up & tried to return the car the corner of the hood sticking up ... other minor problems. Gee, only 40 months old & 57k miles. Better buy that Honda or Toyota soon.

Not entirely happy
By cpence on 06/13/05 09:17 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It has basically been a decent vehicle, but I've already had to replace the rack and pinion and the cv joints. Not good for a car that new. It's not like I go off roading in it. I'm pretty sure I won't buy another Ford. The Focus was my first and will be my last Ford. It does get good mileage for gas and runs well. I'm just not impressed with it. Not a good car for taller men. Almost impossible to fit a baby car seat in the back. The seats aren't comfortable either. They slump you forward.

The best station wagon in the market
By Monded on 06/12/05 08:25 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car performs very well under any condition. Its contemporary European design is a plus. The interior is well thought out, elegant and quiet. Gas mileage is outstanding. The engine delivers its full power when needed and it's fun to drive, both in city traffic and on highways. I've had this car for years and I still find it very enjoyable and reliable. It's built to last. Visibility when driving is great. This station wagon handles curves very well even at higher speeds. It's probably the best compact station wagon in the market today.

01 Focus a standout but for 2 things
By Arnold Rosen on 06/01/05 12:38 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A car that is very pleasant to look and a solid and reliable driving experience with 89,000 miles. Easy to find instrument controls and nice high seating view. Heater and a/c strong and reliable. Quiet engine. The downside - key lock failed at 85,000 miles. It was bad - caught in a mall ($230). Ford never said it was bad and they knew it. Steering rack ($300) at 85,000 miles.

Brian's Focus
By bjhfla on 05/27/05 12:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus gets great gas mileage. As far the interior of the car I think it's cheap and does not wear well. The engine is great, the A/C is no good; it stopped working after a year and half. Have never had problems with tire wear. I had gotten 55,000 on the first set and are only on my 2nd set. As of now, I would most likely not buy another Ford product when I do go to get a new car.

priced right
By stan on 05/27/05 08:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus has been a good solid car. No major problem but seems to heading for the repair shop more now that it is off warranty. I would suggest to get the extended warranty if possible. Problems with the radio volume control and trunk leaking.