2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Still Focused
By Hombre on 05/12/06 19:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm the original owner and after 5 years and 60,000 miles I'd definitely do it again! Zero problems, couldn't be happier with my purchase. I can't believe all these Focus horror story reviews. Maybe I got the only good one produced in 2001. Sorry 'bout your luck.

My mechanic loves my Focus
By carfocus on 04/27/06 21:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 3 years and it has been nothing but one mechanical problem after another. Issues: brakes, brakes, brakes; alternator; the ignition went bad; electrical system issues, stalling. Its only saving grace is its handling and pep. It is fun to drive, when it runs. Car is not reliable, can't wait to get rid of this lemon.

Ford Focus Wagons R Zippy with Lots o' Room!
By The Gainester on 03/11/06 19:15 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my used Ford Focus wagon for about 6 months and thoroughly enjoy it. I only have two quibbles with it. First, the unemovable bar that divides the far rear part of the cargo area from the front rear part is irritating. The helpful rear canopy is stored in this bar, but my two dogs have to wriggle under it to navigate the cargo area. Also, there is room for three people in the back seat, but there is only one cup holder built into the rear area. I've also been told that people in the middle of the back seat feel like they're riding on a hump. Also, I'm 5'3'' and found that many seats were not high enough for me, but the Focus' seat goes up or down with a crank. I'm satisfied.

Pretty Impressed!
By ZX3 on 03/10/06 06:03 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ZX3 with hesitation, but it has paid off in the end. A Honda Civic would have been a lot more than what I paid for my ZX3, and it doesn't look nearly as good! Only major problem was my ignition locked up, but not very expensive to replace and it was fixed in a few hours. Gas mileage isn't as good as I would have expected. I have 80,000 miles on the car and no more problems yet. I'm 6'2 and have plenty of head room. I can even sit in the back with comfort. With the back seats folded down, it is amazing what will fit in the back of a ZX3. Overall a great car and I would recommend it to anybody. I think next time I'm going to go for the SVT so I can blow by all those Civic SI's!

Pretty Good Car
By jdr on 02/24/06 12:46 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Focus over 4 years. Since owning it I have had to get the front brakes replaced and new tires. I've also had the fuel pump go out (recall so it was covered, but had to pay to get fuel filter changed). Also had the 'check engine' light come on which ended up being a sensor that had been recalled. I've had the contraption that turns off the turn signal after going around the corner break twice on this car. First time it was under warranty. Second time it wasn't so now I have to turn it off by hand after turning. My car still runs great after 4 years and shows little signs of wear.

105,000 Mile Focus is a Beautiful Car
By Eugene Conway on 02/05/06 21:49 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 105,000 faultless miles on my '01 Red Focus 4 door sedan. Previous car was a Civic so I was very careful researching this car. The beautiful design and the ride quality was what sold me. This car has never let me down -- very reliable and an extremely responsive and wonderful riding car. What an engine -- more like a six cylinder than a four, and a smooth smooth transmission. Every time I look at this car I get a good feeling. This car has 3 important features that the Civic never had: beautiful design, high visible driving position and excellent brakes and handling on wet pavement. Money well spent I would say.

2001 ZX3 Review
By G. Brown on 02/01/06 13:17 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had car since new, few problems. Nice roads manners and driveability for compact car. Would not have a problem buying another. Needs a little more horse power, 50 more would be good. :) I thought the ZX3 design was cutting edge in 2001, now all manufacturers have one that looks like the ZX3. Average 21-22 mpg city, 28-29 highway.

a good companion
By josip on 01/22/06 00:30 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

If I were out for a new car, I would buy it again. Very good car in any sense. Had just a few glitches in these five years. The original Goodyear Eagle RS tires provided a smooth ride but started to slid and hydroplane too soon. The new TOYO tires make the Focus a beast with gentle heart.

great handling but mechanical trouble
By Scott on 01/20/06 13:49 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have experienced quite a few mechanical issues with this car and I would not buy another.

Great Car/Bad Brakes
By Dan on 01/14/06 13:13 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, but watch out for the brakes especially the front brake pads that go quickly. Also the radio tend to be cheap. My wife and I both own 2001 Focus cars and have found that they both experience the same troubles at almost the same exact time. I have enjoyed this car, but hate the dealership and the service they provide.