2001 Ford Focus LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Focus Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Sort Reviews by

My Favorite Car Ever!!!
By jenny andrews

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I sold my SUV because I was going back to school. I bought my Focus and have never looked back. I LOVE it. I drive it appx. 170 miles per day, and it gets 35 mpg.

Favorite Features

Focus handles great.

SAVE YOURSELF!!!!
By Depressed

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased a used Focus in early November 2002. By Thanksgiving, it was in the shop for a belt, plugs and wires. By Christmas it needed a new steering rack. (Can I just say no car with less than 150K miles needs a new STEERING RACK???) I fear what will happen next with this car. Also, the car has ABSOLUTELY NO VALUE once you drive it off the lot -- three long, long months of ownership has devalued the car by nearly $4000. Now I can't even trade the thing away. Gas mileage is nothing special - I expected more from a car this small. Overall, I should have kept my '95 Nissan Pick- up. They have about the same gas mileage, and I would still have 4WD.

Favorite Features

I don't have any. My advice?? Read Consumer Reports and act accordingly.

Suggested Improvements

Better gas mileage - a car this small should get better than 23 mpg. Improve the overall reliability and maybe Consumer Reports will have something good to say about this car.

If I knew then what I know now
By Sasha

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had a love/hate relationship with this car. It's been at the dealership 15 times for all kinds of repairs. I can't get rid of it, since its resale value is really low. I am stuck with a car I don't want. Ford put a bitter taste in my mouth. I think newer models are much better.

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort,

Suggested Improvements

Quality, quality quality.

Quality and engine disappoints
By doorg_reater

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have driven over 25k miles in my ZTS. Problems so far included: squeaky dash replaced at 5k, squeaky rear brakes replaced at 17k, broken alternator at 17k, seized rear wheel bearing at 23k. Current problem is with too low idle - engine almost died a few times. Persistent problem is weak engine in hot-dry weather.

Favorite Features

Handling is very good. I like the interior and exterior look.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality. Larger range of seat movement - I am 6'4" and cannot find really comfortable seating position. More sesponsive engine.

If I knew then what I know now
By sasha

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Favorite Features

Ride, comfort,

Suggested Improvements

Quality, quality quality.

Nice Car
By Ford Owner

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've owned several small Fords and this one seems to be the best one yet. The Zetec engine is very nice. I would avoid the standard engine. The only problem I've encountered is the squeaky rear brakes. No engine problems at all.

Favorite Features

Good interior room Good standard features, including a CD player.

Suggested Improvements

A tad more horsepower

Fun for two
By Erikgirl

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Our car is great, no problems, reliable. It even has the latch system fro car seats...alas, put a car seat in the back and your knees are knocking the dash board. But it was great while it was just the two of us!

Favorite Features

height adjustable drivers seat, telescoping steering wheel, great pickup for such a little affordable car!

Suggested Improvements

dome light for the back seat would be really nice. light in the glove box as well. somewhere to put a cell phone while it is charging and some of those nice little power outlets like the civics have.

Great buy!
By Mommy

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have really enjoyed my Focus ZTS. I have had it almost one year. When I purchased it the car had 7,000 miles. The only problems that I have had is the trunk releaselatch has had to worked on 3X and the turn signal has been worked on 2X. I am tall and it is very comfortable. The gas mileage is excellent. I am glad that I bought my Focus ZTS.

Favorite Features

Great gas mileage!

Suggested Improvements

Features as trunk release latches and turn signals need to be refined.

Terrific car!
By FordForever

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my car! Everyone who drives my car loves it. It looks small and bubbly from the outside, but that's just because of the large head room. It seems to have as much space as my friend's altima. Its fun to drive but still very sensible. I could have afforded alot more, but am so happy that I gave this a try. My boyfriend is considering getting one too, even though it means both of us would have the same car.

Favorite Features

Huge trunk. Quick (stick only! The auto trans I drove was a little sluggish). Fun car!

Suggested Improvements

Lower cup holders. Large 32 oz drinks don't fit well. But that's it!!

Look Elsewere
By THIS CAR SUCKS

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my Ford Focus for a year, with nothing but problems. First my driver side door lock breaks. I take it in, get it fixed, all is well until........my passenger rear door has the same problem. UM excuse me, this shouldn't happen once, but twice. The car is nice looking, and it has some zip, but I would recommend a KIA over this car, if you want a quality car, don't buy Ford, I will never buy a Ford again.

Favorite Features

Engine, and sound system, side impact airbags.

Suggested Improvements

Working doors, seat covers that stay on the seat (back seat), and I WANT A REFUND FOR BUYING THIS CRAP!!!