2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
What a disappointment!
By Katherine Wilson on 02/05/07 00:35 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in April of 2003 and enjoyed it for about 3 months. It began to deteriorate quickly and had a variety of uncommon and mysterious problems. Many problems came from shoddy materials. I felt trapped by the financing and had to get many rides from friends for the whole time I've owned it. I was reminded daily of old saying "FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily." I've really resented paying high and constant repair bills while still making car payments. I still have two years on that loan but I just got financing to trade it in and get anything other than an American car. I'm looking at a Hyundai Elantra and surprised how much more comfortable it is. I will miss having a wagon though.

Best Car I've owned
By Hayate on 01/25/07 21:20 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving for 37 years. Owned 2 dozen cars. My Focus ZX-3 has been the most reliable of all of them. I think it's been to the dealer twice in 5.5 years! I don't think I've ever owned a car for 5.5 years before getting bored of it or disgusted by the lousy reliability. My Focus has been wonderful. 55K miles and running great.

Let the buyer beware ...
By DW on 01/07/07 07:40 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I initially didn't like the looks of this car, but I wanted a hatchback and it was surprisingly peppy and fun to drive, so I took a chance and threw my money down ... and AWAY! What a mistake. Mechanical problems too numerous to list stranded me over and over, and Ford's service department kept the car for WEEKS every painful time I had to tow it in. The interior is an ergonomic nightmare, ruining a long trip by saddling the driver and passengers with endless back pain (and I'm in my 20's!). Horribly unreliable compared to other cars in it's class, this car is not an alternative to Honda or Toyota ... it's not even close. Pay a little - and get a LOT more - elsewhere.

Best new car I ever owned
By ftn on 12/29/06 03:33 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in June 2001, our Ford Focus Street Edition has been a great car. Comfortable, handles GREAT, very good gas mileage, very reliable. A few relatively minor issues have occurred but overall we've had a wonderful experience with this car!

take my car, please
By fletcher on 10/24/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A friend of mine always says, "i can't afford to buy cheap things." I should have listened to his advice about this car. I really like how it drives, but I really hate that I seem to spend at least one day a month or more driving to a repair shop because something else has gone wrong. It's hard to have a good relationship with a car upon which you depend that is utterly unreliable and unrelentingly so. These things are ugly and like to break down, but at least they are initially inexpensive and get relatively good gas mileage. I'm buying a Honda or a Toyota next. No more Fords for me.

Loads of stuff
By RayRay on 09/27/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wrong and right with this car. I have had this car for 4 years now and I have suffered through all of the recalls. It left me stranded on three separate occasions due to recalls. The ignition cylinder, the fuel pump, and the topper - the wiring system on the battery. This caught fire while I was riding down the road. I also have had tons of enjoyment from driving this car. It has some pep for its size (though not as much as the SVT Focus). It can be parked in tight places and is pretty efficient when it comes to gas. I have had tons of problems with the door panels as well. The seatbelt thing always falls off. The ZX3 doesn't do anything half way. It is either great or pure junk.

probably buy Focus again
By matd on 07/28/06 06:49 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 105K miles, I still love this car. I bought it for the price, because my elderly mom could get in & out of it, & for the cargo space (big enough to fit two Sheltie-size dog crates side-by-side). I've had no major problems with it. I have the 5-speed. I'm female, 5'3", very little use for rear seat. 29-30 mpg highway, 26 city (the rare times I do city).

Nice Car
By Randy Zick on 07/22/06 17:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. Dealer had to replace wire harness for the radiator fans, and also had to replace the windshield washer pump. Just had a major wire repair done, something with putting gas to the engine. Good engine, great performance, and nice handling. Still a great car and gets great gas mileage. Love the idea of the side air bags. Just had to replace the freon in the air conditioning system, but could do the myself. Would recommend this car to others.

2001 ZX3 base 5 speed with A/C
By spudjack on 06/18/06 19:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 4/02 with 7,800 miles. On 6/06 have 24,500 miles. So far have had 2 or 3 recalls done. Have letters for 2 or 3 service bulletins. Like my Focus but only rate this vehicle average. Problems so far; faulty gas cap covered under warranty and the hood release under the dash board disintegrated and had to be replaced. Biggest complaint about this car is the a/c. It does not get very cold. Have dark interior and finally had the windows tinted to keep the heat down on hot days. Average 28-30 mpg in blended driving. Would buy a Focus ZX3 again but would have to be 2003 or newer.

Great little car
By amanda on 06/10/06 19:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hasn't let me down yet. Fun to drive. Dependable car, comfortable and gets very good gas mileage. Mine has 98,000 miles on it and handles just as well as it did when I bought it 50,000 miles ago. The e-brake cable snapping is the worst that has happened with this car. Of course, it being a standard transmission I use the e-brake every time I park it. Having had 2 collisions with this car (1 my fault, 1 due to lots of slush and ice) I can attest that all the safety features in this car work excellent-as intended. In my opinion Ford Motor Co. built a very good vehicle.