Used 2001 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Best new car I ever owned
By ftn

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in June 2001, our Ford Focus Street Edition has been a great car. Comfortable, handles GREAT, very good gas mileage, very reliable. A few relatively minor issues have occurred but overall we've had a wonderful experience with this car!

Favorite Features

Handling, gas mileage - average about 32 MPG, regularly get 36-37 on trips and once got over 40mpg on a several hundred mile trip. Seating position, styling, engine performance, 5sp manual shift, trunk space, interior room, exterior styling! What more can I say - it's a GREAT car!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel pump failed which was recognized problem by Ford - replaced free but should have been recalled. Also had 2 EGR sensors replaced. Brakes squealed until replaced. Volume control on 6 disc changer unit has been problematic. Better speakers would help. Fix these & it's the best value on the market!

Nice Car
By Randy Zick

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. Dealer had to replace wire harness for the radiator fans, and also had to replace the windshield washer pump. Just had a major wire repair done, something with putting gas to the engine. Good engine, great performance, and nice handling. Still a great car and gets great gas mileage. Love the idea of the side air bags. Just had to replace the freon in the air conditioning system, but could do the myself. Would recommend this car to others.

Favorite Features

Great handling, good gas mileage, nice handling, and GREAT pick up and GO!

Suggested Improvements

Standard traction control, and standard 4-wheel ABS.

Great little car
By amanda

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hasn't let me down yet. Fun to drive. Dependable car, comfortable and gets very good gas mileage. Mine has 98,000 miles on it and handles just as well as it did when I bought it 50,000 miles ago. The e-brake cable snapping is the worst that has happened with this car. Of course, it being a standard transmission I use the e-brake every time I park it. Having had 2 collisions with this car (1 my fault, 1 due to lots of slush and ice) I can attest that all the safety features in this car work excellent-as intended. In my opinion Ford Motor Co. built a very good vehicle.

Favorite Features

Comfort, dependability, fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

Make traction control a standard feature instead of an option.

105,000 Mile Focus is a Beautiful Car
By Eugene Conway

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 105,000 faultless miles on my '01 Red Focus 4 door sedan. Previous car was a Civic so I was very careful researching this car. The beautiful design and the ride quality was what sold me. This car has never let me down -- very reliable and an extremely responsive and wonderful riding car. What an engine -- more like a six cylinder than a four, and a smooth smooth transmission. Every time I look at this car I get a good feeling. This car has 3 important features that the Civic never had: beautiful design, high visible driving position and excellent brakes and handling on wet pavement. Money well spent I would say.

Favorite Features

Rock solid handling, Overall design and faultless reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Larger center arm rest -- present one is pathetic. Nothing else -- don't change this car.

Focus a Lemon...Last Ford for me!
By RFMiller

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 Ford Focus in 2003 after hitting 185k on my Escort. I thought it was a cute car with great gas mileage (which was important because I commuted 1 1/2 hrs to graduate school everyday). The brake pads and rotors had to be replaced 3 times (I'm not a fast driver, I've only replaced the brakes once in my '99 Subaru). A spring in the front rusted out and for some reason wasn't included in the recall. The trunk latch was recalled, but no Ford dealer has the part. To make matters worse, the car all of a sudden started stalling and slipping gears. Now it wont go up hills (great to have in New England!) or accelerate. The car is useless for city driving. This car is a LEMON!

Favorite Features

Sleek design, visually appealing.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission / brakes are in need of serious overhauling. Ford needs to recall this car completely and reimburse consumers. Don't waste your money!