Used 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (87 reviews )

Still Focused
By Hombre

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm the original owner and after 5 years and 60,000 miles I'd definitely do it again! Zero problems, couldn't be happier with my purchase. I can't believe all these Focus horror story reviews. Maybe I got the only good one produced in 2001. Sorry 'bout your luck.

Favorite Features

Reliability, gas mileage, standard equipment...and with the 5 speed, a blast to drive.

Suggested Improvements

None.

My mechanic loves my Focus
By carfocus

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 3 years and it has been nothing but one mechanical problem after another. Issues: brakes, brakes, brakes; alternator; the ignition went bad; electrical system issues, stalling. Its only saving grace is its handling and pep. It is fun to drive, when it runs. Car is not reliable, can't wait to get rid of this lemon.

Favorite Features

Handling.

Suggested Improvements

Better reliability. Currently non-existent.

Pretty Impressed!
By ZX3

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ZX3 with hesitation, but it has paid off in the end. A Honda Civic would have been a lot more than what I paid for my ZX3, and it doesn't look nearly as good! Only major problem was my ignition locked up, but not very expensive to replace and it was fixed in a few hours. Gas mileage isn't as good as I would have expected. I have 80,000 miles on the car and no more problems yet. I'm 6'2 and have plenty of head room. I can even sit in the back with comfort. With the back seats folded down, it is amazing what will fit in the back of a ZX3. Overall a great car and I would recommend it to anybody. I think next time I'm going to go for the SVT so I can blow by all those Civic SI's!

Favorite Features

Exterior and interior styling. Sporty and fun to drive. Good sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Make the front seats more comfortable for the long trips. Get rid of the exterior plastic trim pieces. And of course...more HP and Torque with better gas mileage.

2001 ZX3 Review
By G. Brown

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had car since new, few problems. Nice roads manners and driveability for compact car. Would not have a problem buying another. Needs a little more horse power, 50 more would be good. :) I thought the ZX3 design was cutting edge in 2001, now all manufacturers have one that looks like the ZX3. Average 21-22 mpg city, 28-29 highway.

Favorite Features

Design, good gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

More HP.

great handling but mechanical trouble
By Scott

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have experienced quite a few mechanical issues with this car and I would not buy another.

Favorite Features

Great handling, tons of room for cargo in the hatch.

Suggested Improvements

A little more power, more lumbar support (though not a huge issue), more reliably built.