Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

love it
By katie loves tyler

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2001 Ford focus Se Wagon. I love this car. Only has 117,000 miles on it! My boyfriend is always very excited to drive it. His car is a year newer but is a Pontiac and he would Rather drive mine instead! I absolutely love this car.

Favorite Features

Comfortable

Suggested Improvements

Manual trans

Best Ford of the last decade
By dewey

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

As I approach 200,000 miles on this car I have no regrets, except it replaced a beloved 20 year old Fiesta.Aside from regular service it is only now having more issues, but I am only thinking of replacing it with one of the last years the hatchback was available. My car was rare and special, I ordered it with stability control, 4 wheel disc and ABS and traction control. With snows it performed superb in winter driving. Even 10 years old, the styling is undated. The car had a solid build, compared to many Fords in it's day, and even with all the miles the car looks new. Excellent fuel economy, dependable, I would recommend to anyone.

Favorite Features

Good looks, European handling, great gas mileage

Suggested Improvements

Many safety features are optional rather than standard.

Out of Focus
By Pat

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was a comfortable, responsive, and very nice car up until 2006 when at 57,000 miles the fuel system began to cause it to stall intermittently. Since then, with plenty of $$ in repairs to the fuel system and rentals, it still stalls out anywhere - anytime - any speed - very dangerous. Now Ford is telling me that it needs a $1200 wiring harness, which I cannot afford to do after all the rental and repair expenses. The charge for diagnosing this: $181.00. In 2001, I had an immediate repair under warranty for something that caused a tsunami in the front passenger floor. Now it's moldy throughout. A spring broke last year, fixed under a warranty "silent" recall. Steer clear of this car.

Favorite Features

Comfortable for my back on long trips, responsive, excellent gas mileage until fuel system problems occurred, roomy cargo area, nice looking.

Suggested Improvements

Better all-over quality control.

An "Okay" Car
By Bryan

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car when it was 5 years old with 67k miles. It did well for me the first year I owned it, but then I started having all kinds of problems: The vibration of the SOHC is so intense, I had to replace the motor mounts twice; the factory fuel pump went out (which I heard was a common occurrence for these cars); a power window cable snapped; the CD player started skipping, even with new CDs; and a valve seat fell out of the engine at 95k miles. Considering the age and miles of the car when I bought it, I didn't mind so much of the repairs though it did pull a chunk out of my wallet having been a college student at the time. The engine finally died at 137k.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage was fantastic avg 31mpg highway with automatic transmission, tight steering, low road noise, cargo space, and stereo sound quality.

Suggested Improvements

I was never crazy about it's huge rear exterior, but that may be just because I'm picky. Also, SOHC is a rare and expensive engine to maintain.

Stay away from these cars
By Nathan M.

2001 Ford Focus Street 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was purchased used from a private seller in early 2009 to be used as a commuter vehicle in Canada. The car passed a licenced (3rd party) inspection when I bought it, but has since required ~$3,000 in repairs in the nine months that I have been driving it - about the same amount I spent buying the wretched thing. So far the front shocks & struts have had to be replaced twice (the first OEM replacement parts broke less than a month after being replaced by a licensed shop), the front brake pads, rotors, & calipers, the rear brake cylinders, the heater core, and the OEM 6-CD stereo. Needless to say, I won't be buying another Ford in the foreseeable future.

Favorite Features

The interior is nice, and I rather liked the fact that the seat hights are adjustable. Lots of interior room for a compact car, yet easy to maneuver around a parking lot.

Suggested Improvements

The interior cup holders are ridiculous - located too close to the bottom of the dash so putting actual CUPS in them is never easy. The ride is quite stiff, but I think that's because the "Street" edition has the upgraded engine & suspension?