2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
My first car
By Denise on 02/01/08 11:10 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased at 178000kms now almost at 300000kms. Never miss an oil change, well maintained. Problems began just after 200000 kms. My car began to 'studder' while in gear. Changed the fuel filter, thought it could have been the gas. Nope. Changed leads and plugs thinking I'm misfiring. Nope. One day went to start my car and it sounded horrible-in the end it was my timing belt, I needed an entire new engine as the belt had slipped and ruined the pistons and valves. A 'new' rebuilt engine was put in. Now headlight socket on drivers side seems melted and the contacts no longer connect. Rear dr side door clasp jammed-no longer use that dr won't click closed. Replaced ignition key shaft as rollers seized

Worst Car I EVER owned
By corncars on 01/24/08 19:47 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car EVER! I did not want an American car, but my spouse insisted. This is like driving a time bomb! The dash board lights flash and blink, the radio works when it feels like and the speedo just stops abruptly! The dealer can not figure out what is wrong. It is leaking and burning oil and when the heat is on, the fumes fill the car, again, Ford has not explanation. It looked nice and sporty, but the inside is ROTTEN! Spend your money on a nice Toyota or Hyndai, at least you'll get a 100,000 mile warranty!

Great Little Car
By sheilah on 10/21/07 15:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. The body of the car is wonderful, it looks like a new car not a 2001. It's very comfortable and the pick up is great. My car has it all, this is the first Ford that I have bought and it will not be the last. I love this car. Also there is so much room inside the car, it has everything I so glad that I found it.

What does Ford stand for?
By Maybe happy on 09/18/07 23:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This station wagon has been good and bad. I might buy another only if certain things are changed. It has stranded me over 4 times yet it has done well on long trips and it is good on gas and it handles great. The car is paid for yet I seem to put an average of $300 into it every month throughout the year. Power windows all work at each door however the front passanger won't go down from the driver side and the left rear pass window won't go down from the driver control either. Now the driver control will make the right side passanger go up. Rear hatch unlatches while your driving and you never hit the release.

A lot of car for the money
By Dan on 09/03/07 08:12 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Can't say enough good about this car. Had Fords Escorts Zx2 (2) of them with the same engine, the Focus lived up to my expections. Had some small issues but as with all cars you'll always have some. I would like to see some more engine performance parts available from the dealer to give a little more pep.

Drive Circles Around Competition
By Kevin on 09/02/07 06:45 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

These cars are an amazing, theres no way I could have bought a better car. I had a few issues at first and got very upset. All my issues stopped as soon as I fixed the problems myself.

My car is nothing but fun
By AznInAmerica on 05/08/07 08:54 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my baby! It's been good to me but there are some things that kinda stink. Like the manufacturer's rotors were worn out after only a few months of driving, and the fact that the ignition had to be replaced because it never wanted to turn. But other than that I love it! It's roomy on the inside, yet small and cute on the outside. If it's someone's first car, I would definitely recommend it!

2001 Ford Focus
By Silvia on 04/09/07 10:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car! I like the look of the car. It does not go out of style, especially the shape of the rear and front lights.

Good All Around, Except a Few Things
By Seth on 04/04/07 18:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was one of the first cars I had, and it was very fun. The SOHC I-4 was very stout but I would have liked to have a ZETEC instead. There are a few drawbacks to my car. The factory stereo was good, but it had problems reading CDs so I had to get an aftermarket one. I had the car from 74k to 78k and around 77k, I had some issues with the idle. It would die on me at idle. Probably had bad fuel. The alternator couldn't handle the extra power of a 300 watt amp and a 50 watt CD stereo. Not enough amps. Overall my Focus was a great car and extremely fun to drive, but it lacked power in the top of the RPMs. That would have come in handy at the drag strip.

Great fun for the money
By JohnS on 02/19/07 09:11 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 72k miles, and it's the best value I could hope for. Great fun to drive, steering and handling are super, will zip when you stand on the throttle--five speed with 16v 2liter 4 are more than adequate. Plenty of power for passing and mountain driving. The hatch and fold-down rear seats add to its utility, and rear seat room surprises all who crawl back there. A/C and heat are both powerful, all accessories work great. Cockpit is cozy and ergonomics are great; a very comfortable driving position. I paid $5700 and can't imagine more fun for that money. The original owner took care of recall repairs and it's been trouble free for me.