Used 2001 Ford Focus Sedan Consumer Reviews - 88 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Pain in the rear
By nicole

2001 Ford Focus Sedan ZTS 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my car now for 4 years and the first year I loved my car. Now, I am deathly affraid to drive it. It makes so much noise I think that the tires are going to fall off. It is leaking oil and coolant. Had many problems with the windows not working, and the doors not wanting to open from the outside. The inside latch to release the trunk doesn't work ( I can't remember when it did). But I am so upside down in this car it is hard to find a non-Ford car to buy.

Had lots of get-up-and-go power

Everything needs to be re-done. Less noisy, and easier to find parts. Needs to be a better built car overall.

I love my Focus
By Josh

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am 350lbs and I am totally comfortable in this car. Great mileage and fun to drive. One of the most powerful 4cyl, 120ish horsepower engines ever made. Total thumbs up for me.

Fun to drive and great mileage. Looks great too.

The passenger side seatbelt and seat are not built proper. It sits really high and therefore the passenger has a hard time getting the seatbelt buckled if they are taller than 5'7"

Worst Car Ever
By Focus SE

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Focus in 2002, and have had nothing but problems. I had to have three fuel pumps replaced, which Ford covered the first two for free, and then charged me for the third. The letter I received regarding the recall states they had not yet found a fuel pump that fits in this model, and 7 years later...they still haven't. I had to replace three windows due to faulty parts. The final straw was my timing belt and water pump went, which caused the engine to seize up. My Focus is dead at 147,000 miles and the best part is I had just taken it into the Ford dealership two weeks ago, due to it starting rough and stalling, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it!

The gas mileage was good until the fuel pump was replaced for the third time. I will never buy a Ford again.

Poor quality parts and horrible service. I have never owned a vehicle with so many poorly made parts. This car is not reliable, and Ford needs to stand behind their products, and make a fuel pump that will work in their 2001 Focus.

Worst Car I EVER owned
By corncars

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car EVER! I did not want an American car, but my spouse insisted. This is like driving a time bomb! The dash board lights flash and blink, the radio works when it feels like and the speedo just stops abruptly! The dealer can not figure out what is wrong. It is leaking and burning oil and when the heat is on, the fumes fill the car, again, Ford has not explanation. It looked nice and sporty, but the inside is ROTTEN! Spend your money on a nice Toyota or Hyndai, at least you'll get a 100,000 mile warranty!

NONE

Electronics that work, dealers that can fix problems!

2001 Ford Focus
By Silvia

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car! I like the look of the car. It does not go out of style, especially the shape of the rear and front lights.

The look or style

It is lacking a little velocity. The car needs to respond quickly