Used 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (89 reviews )

My car is nothing but fun
By AznInAmerica

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love my baby! It's been good to me but there are some things that kinda stink. Like the manufacturer's rotors were worn out after only a few months of driving, and the fact that the ignition had to be replaced because it never wanted to turn. But other than that I love it! It's roomy on the inside, yet small and cute on the outside. If it's someone's first car, I would definitely recommend it!

High off the ground, nice big doors, lots of room inside

I just think that the manufacturer should give better equipment as far as rotors and brake pads go.

Great fun for the money
By JohnS

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car used with 72k miles, and it's the best value I could hope for. Great fun to drive, steering and handling are super, will zip when you stand on the throttle--five speed with 16v 2liter 4 are more than adequate. Plenty of power for passing and mountain driving. The hatch and fold-down rear seats add to its utility, and rear seat room surprises all who crawl back there. A/C and heat are both powerful, all accessories work great. Cockpit is cozy and ergonomics are great; a very comfortable driving position. I paid $5700 and can't imagine more fun for that money. The original owner took care of recall repairs and it's been trouble free for me.

Sunroof, five speed, steering and handling--mine has the 16" low-profile wheels and tires.

I'd feel more confident with ABS. Engine a bit growly under acceleration, and poor wheel-well insulation, so driving in rain or slush can be noisy. Flip-open rear windows would be nice.

Best Car I've owned
By Hayate

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving for 37 years. Owned 2 dozen cars. My Focus ZX-3 has been the most reliable of all of them. I think it's been to the dealer twice in 5.5 years! I don't think I've ever owned a car for 5.5 years before getting bored of it or disgusted by the lousy reliability. My Focus has been wonderful. 55K miles and running great.

Looks and style, Headroom and legroom (I'm 6'4 and don't fit in most compact fun cars). Power, 5 speed is nice.

Road noise at highway speeds is pretty loud. Needs more sound deadening,

Let the buyer beware ...
By DW

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I initially didn't like the looks of this car, but I wanted a hatchback and it was surprisingly peppy and fun to drive, so I took a chance and threw my money down ... and AWAY! What a mistake. Mechanical problems too numerous to list stranded me over and over, and Ford's service department kept the car for WEEKS every painful time I had to tow it in. The interior is an ergonomic nightmare, ruining a long trip by saddling the driver and passengers with endless back pain (and I'm in my 20's!). Horribly unreliable compared to other cars in it's class, this car is not an alternative to Honda or Toyota ... it's not even close. Pay a little - and get a LOT more - elsewhere.

Fun to drive ... when it runs. Nice pep and acceptable MPG.

Unreliable engine and powertrain. Ford's service dept may honor your warranty, but it'll take weeks. Certainly not a car for the arthritic ... or those who may suffer from stress-related breakdowns!

take my car, please
By fletcher

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A friend of mine always says, "i can't afford to buy cheap things." I should have listened to his advice about this car. I really like how it drives, but I really hate that I seem to spend at least one day a month or more driving to a repair shop because something else has gone wrong. It's hard to have a good relationship with a car upon which you depend that is utterly unreliable and unrelentingly so. These things are ugly and like to break down, but at least they are initially inexpensive and get relatively good gas mileage. I'm buying a Honda or a Toyota next. No more Fords for me.

The way it drives.

Reliability. Breaking down a lot ain't fun.

• SUV