Used 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (87 reviews )

Best Car I've owned
By Hayate

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've been driving for 37 years. Owned 2 dozen cars. My Focus ZX-3 has been the most reliable of all of them. I think it's been to the dealer twice in 5.5 years! I don't think I've ever owned a car for 5.5 years before getting bored of it or disgusted by the lousy reliability. My Focus has been wonderful. 55K miles and running great.

Favorite Features

Looks and style, Headroom and legroom (I'm 6'4 and don't fit in most compact fun cars). Power, 5 speed is nice.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise at highway speeds is pretty loud. Needs more sound deadening,

Let the buyer beware ...
By DW

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I initially didn't like the looks of this car, but I wanted a hatchback and it was surprisingly peppy and fun to drive, so I took a chance and threw my money down ... and AWAY! What a mistake. Mechanical problems too numerous to list stranded me over and over, and Ford's service department kept the car for WEEKS every painful time I had to tow it in. The interior is an ergonomic nightmare, ruining a long trip by saddling the driver and passengers with endless back pain (and I'm in my 20's!). Horribly unreliable compared to other cars in it's class, this car is not an alternative to Honda or Toyota ... it's not even close. Pay a little - and get a LOT more - elsewhere.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive ... when it runs. Nice pep and acceptable MPG.

Suggested Improvements

Unreliable engine and powertrain. Ford's service dept may honor your warranty, but it'll take weeks. Certainly not a car for the arthritic ... or those who may suffer from stress-related breakdowns!

take my car, please
By fletcher

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A friend of mine always says, "i can't afford to buy cheap things." I should have listened to his advice about this car. I really like how it drives, but I really hate that I seem to spend at least one day a month or more driving to a repair shop because something else has gone wrong. It's hard to have a good relationship with a car upon which you depend that is utterly unreliable and unrelentingly so. These things are ugly and like to break down, but at least they are initially inexpensive and get relatively good gas mileage. I'm buying a Honda or a Toyota next. No more Fords for me.

Favorite Features

The way it drives.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability. Breaking down a lot ain't fun.

Loads of stuff
By RayRay

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wrong and right with this car. I have had this car for 4 years now and I have suffered through all of the recalls. It left me stranded on three separate occasions due to recalls. The ignition cylinder, the fuel pump, and the topper - the wiring system on the battery. This caught fire while I was riding down the road. I also have had tons of enjoyment from driving this car. It has some pep for its size (though not as much as the SVT Focus). It can be parked in tight places and is pretty efficient when it comes to gas. I have had tons of problems with the door panels as well. The seatbelt thing always falls off. The ZX3 doesn't do anything half way. It is either great or pure junk.

Favorite Features

Handling, dashboard design, room, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

More dependability. This car had more recalls than I can remember any other car having. I guess there are tons of problems in the early years on just about all cars though.

2001 ZX3 base 5 speed with A/C
By spudjack

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 4/02 with 7,800 miles. On 6/06 have 24,500 miles. So far have had 2 or 3 recalls done. Have letters for 2 or 3 service bulletins. Like my Focus but only rate this vehicle average. Problems so far; faulty gas cap covered under warranty and the hood release under the dash board disintegrated and had to be replaced. Biggest complaint about this car is the a/c. It does not get very cold. Have dark interior and finally had the windows tinted to keep the heat down on hot days. Average 28-30 mpg in blended driving. Would buy a Focus ZX3 again but would have to be 2003 or newer.

Favorite Features

I'm 6'3 so I like the seat height handle on the drivers side.

Suggested Improvements

Better mpg, build quality, colder a/c.