2001 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (87 reviews )
Ignition Cylinder Locks
By Focus ZX3 on 08/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car in for the same problem 4 times. The ignition cylinder locks up and leaves me stranded, and the only option is to having it towed. 6months later back in the dealer same problem, old part number again. 3months later same problem but new part number.(as if a new part # really helps) They say the key is the problem and thats what causing it to lock up. It'll cost $150 to cut new keys. This of course isn't under warranty..If they had any custumer service this wouldn't be an issue and would of all been handle at the inital repair process.

Sweet Sweet
By PerryEllis6813 on 07/17/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I got this car a month ago and it has been all fun. I have had no problems with it. I love the high rpm's and keeping up with my friends and their V6's is no prob. Heck I beat most of them in a race. I would recommend this car for everyone. The ones that complain about this car probably drive it like crap, with their feet out the window and cell phones glued to their head. Respect a car, and it wont go wrong on you, but if you insist on flooring it after every light, and slamming on the brakes at the next light, then yeah, no crap you got problems. But as for me, this car has been nothing but fun, and I dont see any problems in the future with this car.

Friends dont let friends....
By kevjalittell on 04/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Buy Focus's. this car has been nothing but trouble. Emissions sensors pop and the dealerships want me to rent a car for 3 days so they can fix it under warranty. UGGHHHH...If the value of the vehicle wasnt dropping so fast I'd sell or trade but I financed it for 4 years with 15% down and I'm STILL upside down on it. 26MPG is average with the AT. The interior is starting to fall out of it....It eats tires and wont keep alignment on either axle. Brakes on front end cost $375.00 in PARTS ALONE because they dont have squealers...Pad wear out and overheat the calipers...

Depends on when you ask me
By soylentboy on 03/12/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have often been asked about how I like my car. It looks good and I'm in a Ford town. Well, it depends on when you ask me. I find the performance and the handling very good. I had a Miata and i dare say it is somewhat similar. However, I have been plagued with ticky tack problems. Seats, seatbelts, rear defogger, turn signals.....Very disappointed from that standpoint.

Fun Focus
By troywe on 02/21/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love this car. For such a small car, the interior is exceptionally spacious. The car feels like it has great quality.

Costly Mistake
By MeganRC on 02/18/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Mom & I bought "foci" & regret it. I’ve replaced my ignition @30K mi; my mom's was replaced twice @ the same mileage. My check engine light is on & dealership didn’t fix the trouble; they reset the light. A week later the warranty ran out & the light came back. I won’t take it to Ford due to disappointing experiences @ 2 shops in 2 parts of FL. My mechanic said this trouble could cost 150-500 depending on if it’s a leaking hose or a defective valve. My mom's is having this problem (still under warranty)& the dealership said it didn’t cover this & it would cost her 300+ to fix. The fabric on the seat has worn all the way through in places-I‘m 120lbs

Fantastically built and fun to drive
By Bart314 on 01/08/04 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus ZX3 is an astonishing little car. It is light and nible and relatively powerful and the interior design and ergonomics are the best of any small car. Sometimes while driving to work I see BMWs and think how close I came to buying a cramped ZX3 and how much overally pleasure I get from driving my sporty Focus with its sunroof.

MY ZX3
By Alex, the ZX3 guy on 12/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ok, i got a silver ZX3 with 23,000 miles on it and it is an absolute joy to own. makes everyday trips fun with its sharp-as-a-knife handeling and zippy engine (although it could use some more zip) i can fit almost anything into it and yet it is so small on the outeside and easy to park. The seats have good support and i fit easily into the car (i'm 6'5"). I would recomed a focus to anyone who wants a good car on a budget.

Pros & Cons
By atomicbri on 11/22/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

My Ford Focus ZX3 is a fun to drive car. It handles excellently and has a bit of European flair in its hatchback design. I can also load all kinds of stuff in it. However the reliability is sketchy.Numerous recalls, recalls that were fixed seem to have the same problem creep up again(Battery cable was changed only to melt again). The brand new ones now come with 10/100,000 Powertrain warranty, but I wish mine had that because I think the new ones have the bugs worked out while mine still has the bugs. A shame since this car is truely a joy to drive and it's versitility is great!

A BLAST TO DRIVE!!!
By henderjc on 09/23/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Ive had my zx3 for about 2 months now and i love it. After a stressful day nothing beats getting in the car and going for a cruise with the tunes cranked. The fun to drive factor is off the scale. It could use more power but around corners it is sooo much fun.