2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great Car/Bad Brakes
By Dan on 01/14/06 13:13 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, but watch out for the brakes especially the front brake pads that go quickly. Also the radio tend to be cheap. My wife and I both own 2001 Focus cars and have found that they both experience the same troubles at almost the same exact time. I have enjoyed this car, but hate the dealership and the service they provide.

It's costing me now
By laura4953 on 10/22/05 13:31 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was the first car I ever bought. I researched it and got a fairly decent deal. However I've had a lot of mechanical problems with it. It was at the dealer for a week cause it wouldn't start. And more recently it hss taken to not starting and sporadically stalling. I took it to 1 dealer and they claimed the stalling was from a faulty fuel pump and fixed it under warranty. Two weeks later it was still stalling and I took it to another dealer, because I moved, and it's been there for over a month and they have no clue what's wrong with it. A real mind boggler they said. I've spent a fortune in rental and repairs and its still broken. All I can say is I'm never buying Ford again!

Brian's Focus
By bjhfla on 05/27/05 12:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The Focus gets great gas mileage. As far the interior of the car I think it's cheap and does not wear well. The engine is great, the A/C is no good; it stopped working after a year and half. Have never had problems with tire wear. I had gotten 55,000 on the first set and are only on my 2nd set. As of now, I would most likely not buy another Ford product when I do go to get a new car.

this car is better than its reputation
By JLS on 05/21/05 07:52 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of my Focus. I have been driving it for 3-4 years. It is not the fastest car at the light, but you knew that. It is however, a great deal: once it gets going, it really goes; reliable, responsive, handles extremely well (I live in the midwest and laugh at many when I pull easily out of snow), and easy at the gas pump. All in all, a great little car.

Fun to drive
By Enthusiast on 03/06/05 11:56 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

More fun to drive than any other car I've owned. Would buy a new car if I could find one more fun to drive.

Handling
By Tom Tourigny on 12/18/04 09:10 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I had a large Town car prior to the Focus. When I test drove this car, I was very surprised on how this car handled. I enjoy a 5 speed and with 16" rims and size 205 low profile tires on a small car car; this car handlings is EXCELLENT. Mileage during the summer with the air conditioner on is about 25 mpg. I average about 22,000 a year. My daughter bought a new Focus in 2003. It's a 4 door, 5 speed standard with regular rims and tires. I was surprised her car was even quicker than mine. In general, my next car will be a Focus. You have a great little car here, please continue to move forward with it.

87K+ and still going strong
By navalghost on 10/13/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought it new in Mar 01 to commute between VA and CT plus a lot of around town. 87,500 miles latter I'm just doing my first brake job. Other then oil and gas and the occasional windshield wipers I've had no, repeat NO, problems. I had the fuel pump upgraded for free at 67K due to the recall, but it wasn't a problem yet. Could always use more power, but it's got enough for commuting and I routinely get 30+mpg mixed driving. Oh, I'm 6'2", 230#, so the interior room is GREAT for me solo. My three sons are all teen agers and the oldest is a big 16, so it does get a little crowded with all four onboard. Good enough car to give to the oldest for his first ride.

Great price on my ZX3
By c18vw on 09/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really like this car. Its fun to drive and it has alota pep in it for a small car. I got this car 8/04. The dealer was having a big sale but in their add they missprinted the price of my car! I got it for just under $7,000! Its loaded except it doesn't have a sunroof:( Front Brakes sound and feel weird some times but they work when you need them. I have drive 1000 miles on it just this last month lol. The car came with 57,000 miles on it already. When I got the car the bumper had lots of specaly dots of missing paint. But the dealer hooked me up with a free touch up job. Another cool thing they gave me free was keyless entry.

This car has to many problems
By Casemann27 on 08/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has cost more to fix parts that are defective then a my old 85 truck. Very unreliable.

Smoked Ya
By JustinSmokedYa on 08/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just got this car on August 2, 2003. It is my first car, and I am a guy, but it is pretty sporty, the 2Dr ZX3 Hatchback. I wish I could of gotten a Chevy Camero Z28 310 Hp, but I ended up with this pretty darn good car with 59,064 miles on it. I know a good car when I see one.