Used 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Ford Focus Wagons R Zippy with Lots o' Room!
By The Gainester

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my used Ford Focus wagon for about 6 months and thoroughly enjoy it. I only have two quibbles with it. First, the unemovable bar that divides the far rear part of the cargo area from the front rear part is irritating. The helpful rear canopy is stored in this bar, but my two dogs have to wriggle under it to navigate the cargo area. Also, there is room for three people in the back seat, but there is only one cup holder built into the rear area. I've also been told that people in the middle of the back seat feel like they're riding on a hump. Also, I'm 5'3'' and found that many seats were not high enough for me, but the Focus' seat goes up or down with a crank. I'm satisfied.

Favorite Features

Tons of storage room, floor mats that lock in place, deep and wide storage compartments on both front doors, several helpful little cubby holes on the dash, nice-sized glove compartment; in general a solid, reliable workhorse.

Suggested Improvements

Make the bar that stores the rear canopy removable. Put cup holders on each rear door. Allow the window in the tailgate to open independently of the tailgate itself. Drop-down glasses case above rear view mirror. Hide-away cup holders on the middle part of the dash where the sound system usually is.

Pretty Good Car
By jdr

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I've owned my Focus over 4 years. Since owning it I have had to get the front brakes replaced and new tires. I've also had the fuel pump go out (recall so it was covered, but had to pay to get fuel filter changed). Also had the 'check engine' light come on which ended up being a sensor that had been recalled. I've had the contraption that turns off the turn signal after going around the corner break twice on this car. First time it was under warranty. Second time it wasn't so now I have to turn it off by hand after turning. My car still runs great after 4 years and shows little signs of wear.

Favorite Features

Good visibility while driving, convenience of dashboard features (radio, heater, etc), quietness.

Suggested Improvements

There is not a good place to put a large drink in the car. The cupholders only hold small drinks (medium fast food cups barely fit because of their height). If you get a 32 oz drink, it has to go between the bucket seats between the emergency brake and the seat.

a good companion
By josip

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

If I were out for a new car, I would buy it again. Very good car in any sense. Had just a few glitches in these five years. The original Goodyear Eagle RS tires provided a smooth ride but started to slid and hydroplane too soon. The new TOYO tires make the Focus a beast with gentle heart.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy, reliability, build quality, cargo space.

Suggested Improvements

I am glad that the front on Focus got redesigned.

Don't buy this year
By Heather

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Since I got this car I have had to replace a fuel pump (recall but still stunk), and am now having to mess with my transmission. I don't know if it is just my car or all 2001 Focuses, but I hate it.

Favorite Features

The car body except what my dealership didn't fix properly after a wreck. The grill now looks awful.

Suggested Improvements

Fix all recalls and hire different people to work at the dealership, sales people are great but the repair shop people stink!

The best station wagon in the market
By Monded

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car performs very well under any condition. Its contemporary European design is a plus. The interior is well thought out, elegant and quiet. Gas mileage is outstanding. The engine delivers its full power when needed and it's fun to drive, both in city traffic and on highways. I've had this car for years and I still find it very enjoyable and reliable. It's built to last. Visibility when driving is great. This station wagon handles curves very well even at higher speeds. It's probably the best compact station wagon in the market today.

Favorite Features

Powerful and responsive engine. Great gas mileage. Elegant design and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

Would love to see a diesel-engine on this station wagon in the future.