2001 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
I love my Focus
By Josh on 05/26/08 23:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am 350lbs and I am totally comfortable in this car. Great mileage and fun to drive. One of the most powerful 4cyl, 120ish horsepower engines ever made. Total thumbs up for me.

Worst Car Ever
By Focus SE on 04/22/08 22:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 Focus in 2002, and have had nothing but problems. I had to have three fuel pumps replaced, which Ford covered the first two for free, and then charged me for the third. The letter I received regarding the recall states they had not yet found a fuel pump that fits in this model, and 7 years later...they still haven't. I had to replace three windows due to faulty parts. The final straw was my timing belt and water pump went, which caused the engine to seize up. My Focus is dead at 147,000 miles and the best part is I had just taken it into the Ford dealership two weeks ago, due to it starting rough and stalling, and they couldn't find anything wrong with it!

Worst Car I EVER owned
By corncars on 01/24/08 19:47 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This is the worst car EVER! I did not want an American car, but my spouse insisted. This is like driving a time bomb! The dash board lights flash and blink, the radio works when it feels like and the speedo just stops abruptly! The dealer can not figure out what is wrong. It is leaking and burning oil and when the heat is on, the fumes fill the car, again, Ford has not explanation. It looked nice and sporty, but the inside is ROTTEN! Spend your money on a nice Toyota or Hyndai, at least you'll get a 100,000 mile warranty!

2001 Ford Focus
By Silvia on 04/09/07 10:51 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car! I like the look of the car. It does not go out of style, especially the shape of the rear and front lights.

Good All Around, Except a Few Things
By Seth on 04/04/07 18:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This was one of the first cars I had, and it was very fun. The SOHC I-4 was very stout but I would have liked to have a ZETEC instead. There are a few drawbacks to my car. The factory stereo was good, but it had problems reading CDs so I had to get an aftermarket one. I had the car from 74k to 78k and around 77k, I had some issues with the idle. It would die on me at idle. Probably had bad fuel. The alternator couldn't handle the extra power of a 300 watt amp and a 50 watt CD stereo. Not enough amps. Overall my Focus was a great car and extremely fun to drive, but it lacked power in the top of the RPMs. That would have come in handy at the drag strip.

Best new car I ever owned
By ftn on 12/29/06 03:33 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought new in June 2001, our Ford Focus Street Edition has been a great car. Comfortable, handles GREAT, very good gas mileage, very reliable. A few relatively minor issues have occurred but overall we've had a wonderful experience with this car!

Nice Car
By Randy Zick on 07/22/06 17:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This has been a great car. Dealer had to replace wire harness for the radiator fans, and also had to replace the windshield washer pump. Just had a major wire repair done, something with putting gas to the engine. Good engine, great performance, and nice handling. Still a great car and gets great gas mileage. Love the idea of the side air bags. Just had to replace the freon in the air conditioning system, but could do the myself. Would recommend this car to others.

Great little car
By amanda on 06/10/06 19:18 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Hasn't let me down yet. Fun to drive. Dependable car, comfortable and gets very good gas mileage. Mine has 98,000 miles on it and handles just as well as it did when I bought it 50,000 miles ago. The e-brake cable snapping is the worst that has happened with this car. Of course, it being a standard transmission I use the e-brake every time I park it. Having had 2 collisions with this car (1 my fault, 1 due to lots of slush and ice) I can attest that all the safety features in this car work excellent-as intended. In my opinion Ford Motor Co. built a very good vehicle.

105,000 Mile Focus is a Beautiful Car
By Eugene Conway on 02/05/06 21:49 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan Street 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have 105,000 faultless miles on my '01 Red Focus 4 door sedan. Previous car was a Civic so I was very careful researching this car. The beautiful design and the ride quality was what sold me. This car has never let me down -- very reliable and an extremely responsive and wonderful riding car. What an engine -- more like a six cylinder than a four, and a smooth smooth transmission. Every time I look at this car I get a good feeling. This car has 3 important features that the Civic never had: beautiful design, high visible driving position and excellent brakes and handling on wet pavement. Money well spent I would say.

Focus a Lemon...Last Ford for me!
By RFMiller on 01/05/06 16:21 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Sedan SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought a 2001 Ford Focus in 2003 after hitting 185k on my Escort. I thought it was a cute car with great gas mileage (which was important because I commuted 1 1/2 hrs to graduate school everyday). The brake pads and rotors had to be replaced 3 times (I'm not a fast driver, I've only replaced the brakes once in my '99 Subaru). A spring in the front rusted out and for some reason wasn't included in the recall. The trunk latch was recalled, but no Ford dealer has the part. To make matters worse, the car all of a sudden started stalling and slipping gears. Now it wont go up hills (great to have in New England!) or accelerate. The car is useless for city driving. This car is a LEMON!