2001 Ford Focus Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (86 reviews )
Let the buyer beware ...
By DW on 01/07/07 07:40 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I initially didn't like the looks of this car, but I wanted a hatchback and it was surprisingly peppy and fun to drive, so I took a chance and threw my money down ... and AWAY! What a mistake. Mechanical problems too numerous to list stranded me over and over, and Ford's service department kept the car for WEEKS every painful time I had to tow it in. The interior is an ergonomic nightmare, ruining a long trip by saddling the driver and passengers with endless back pain (and I'm in my 20's!). Horribly unreliable compared to other cars in it's class, this car is not an alternative to Honda or Toyota ... it's not even close. Pay a little - and get a LOT more - elsewhere.

take my car, please
By fletcher on 10/24/06 17:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A friend of mine always says, "i can't afford to buy cheap things." I should have listened to his advice about this car. I really like how it drives, but I really hate that I seem to spend at least one day a month or more driving to a repair shop because something else has gone wrong. It's hard to have a good relationship with a car upon which you depend that is utterly unreliable and unrelentingly so. These things are ugly and like to break down, but at least they are initially inexpensive and get relatively good gas mileage. I'm buying a Honda or a Toyota next. No more Fords for me.

Loads of stuff
By RayRay on 09/27/06 10:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Wrong and right with this car. I have had this car for 4 years now and I have suffered through all of the recalls. It left me stranded on three separate occasions due to recalls. The ignition cylinder, the fuel pump, and the topper - the wiring system on the battery. This caught fire while I was riding down the road. I also have had tons of enjoyment from driving this car. It has some pep for its size (though not as much as the SVT Focus). It can be parked in tight places and is pretty efficient when it comes to gas. I have had tons of problems with the door panels as well. The seatbelt thing always falls off. The ZX3 doesn't do anything half way. It is either great or pure junk.

2001 ZX3 base 5 speed with A/C
By spudjack on 06/18/06 19:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Bought 4/02 with 7,800 miles. On 6/06 have 24,500 miles. So far have had 2 or 3 recalls done. Have letters for 2 or 3 service bulletins. Like my Focus but only rate this vehicle average. Problems so far; faulty gas cap covered under warranty and the hood release under the dash board disintegrated and had to be replaced. Biggest complaint about this car is the a/c. It does not get very cold. Have dark interior and finally had the windows tinted to keep the heat down on hot days. Average 28-30 mpg in blended driving. Would buy a Focus ZX3 again but would have to be 2003 or newer.

Still Focused
By Hombre on 05/12/06 19:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I'm the original owner and after 5 years and 60,000 miles I'd definitely do it again! Zero problems, couldn't be happier with my purchase. I can't believe all these Focus horror story reviews. Maybe I got the only good one produced in 2001. Sorry 'bout your luck.

My mechanic loves my Focus
By carfocus on 04/27/06 21:43 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had this car for over 3 years and it has been nothing but one mechanical problem after another. Issues: brakes, brakes, brakes; alternator; the ignition went bad; electrical system issues, stalling. Its only saving grace is its handling and pep. It is fun to drive, when it runs. Car is not reliable, can't wait to get rid of this lemon.

Pretty Impressed!
By ZX3 on 03/10/06 06:03 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my ZX3 with hesitation, but it has paid off in the end. A Honda Civic would have been a lot more than what I paid for my ZX3, and it doesn't look nearly as good! Only major problem was my ignition locked up, but not very expensive to replace and it was fixed in a few hours. Gas mileage isn't as good as I would have expected. I have 80,000 miles on the car and no more problems yet. I'm 6'2 and have plenty of head room. I can even sit in the back with comfort. With the back seats folded down, it is amazing what will fit in the back of a ZX3. Overall a great car and I would recommend it to anybody. I think next time I'm going to go for the SVT so I can blow by all those Civic SI's!

2001 ZX3 Review
By G. Brown on 02/01/06 13:17 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Have had car since new, few problems. Nice roads manners and driveability for compact car. Would not have a problem buying another. Needs a little more horse power, 50 more would be good. :) I thought the ZX3 design was cutting edge in 2001, now all manufacturers have one that looks like the ZX3. Average 21-22 mpg city, 28-29 highway.

great handling but mechanical trouble
By Scott on 01/20/06 13:49 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have experienced quite a few mechanical issues with this car and I would not buy another.

Great Car/Bad Brakes
By Dan on 01/14/06 13:13 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great car, but watch out for the brakes especially the front brake pads that go quickly. Also the radio tend to be cheap. My wife and I both own 2001 Focus cars and have found that they both experience the same troubles at almost the same exact time. I have enjoyed this car, but hate the dealership and the service they provide.