Used 2001 Ford Focus Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback

ZX3 2.0L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (87 reviews )

I love my beater!
By nessa_d

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2001 focus off a small used dealer for a great price with 75000 miles on the car. I didn't know much about it when I purchased it, but once I saw it, I knew it was for me. I travel a lot for my job. I needed a dependable fuel efficient car. What I didn't know is that I found the most reliable car I've ever owned. I put 100000 miles on the car since then and only replaced the tires. The tires do wear faster then other vehicles but a small price to pay for no major repairs! I love my car.

Favorite Features

Suprisingly safe, it made it threw a collision with a Nissan Altima and i suffered no damage. Wish I could say the same for the counter... All controls are self explanitory and easy to use.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders able to hold the big 32 ouncers on the passenger side! Thats it!

ZX3
By Alex

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Since my wife and I have had this car, we've had several issues with it. Ford's build quality is poor. We've had issues with the air conditioner leaking, after its rained the back of the car has had large amounts of water in it, the ignition where you put the key in broke and had to be replaced, the plastic (let me reinforce plastic) thermostat housing unit was leaking coolant, also the hoses aren't sufficient enough to carry the coolant since they eventually balloon up, the car jerks when you back up, etc. The radio always shut off and you have to push in the radio/cd area to turn it back on. Other than maintenance issues, the car is pretty comfortable inside and is fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Toyota or a Honda.

170,000 miles on it
By xjandxj

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Just sold my ZX3 after 7 years, 170,000 miles. Fun, fun car to ride; however, it has truly been unreliable pretty much from day one. Calipers, fuel pump, catalatyic converter, wheel bearings; $500 dollar repairs 5 months in a row; escape a few months and starts all over again; finally sold. When running (second to none) on fun factor but not without cost.

Favorite Features

High commanding driving position (visibility); smooth 5-speed manual transmission, yes something reliable (the engine Z-tech) and great stereo system. Oh incredible handling too! Again fun car (just not reliable).

Suggested Improvements

Ford improving the overall quality of motorcraft parts and doing something about reliability issues!

Best in its class!
By Miguel toscano

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

A gem to drive and own. Superb engine even at low revs. Precise steering and powerful brakes. Comfortable and stylish and reliability is so good that never lets you down! A fine car.

Favorite Features

Style, comfort, driving feel, engine torque, road manners (stability) and reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Suspension a little bit on the stiff way.

OK but fun
By eric

2001 Ford Focus Hatchback ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The 2001 ZX3 is an OK car. I had one since the beginning and it's been OK. This car balances out with a lot of trips to the dealer for fixes but pretty dang fun drive when you get it back. There is too much rattling inside at around 50,000 miles but everything still holds on strong. One thing I am very happy with is its performance on the highway. This car can somehow cruise at 85 miles an hour at only 3500 rpms! I get around only 20 miles a gallon at that speed but sometimes it's worth it.

Favorite Features

Car handles like a dream. The sound system is surprisingly good. Pretty neat looking. Good performance. Great price for everything.

Suggested Improvements

Better build quality inside and out. Better tires and needs better brakes. I replace breaks and tires every year it seems like!