Used 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon Consumer Reviews - 43 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

My first car
By Denise

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Purchased at 178000kms now almost at 300000kms. Never miss an oil change, well maintained. Problems began just after 200000 kms. My car began to 'studder' while in gear. Changed the fuel filter, thought it could have been the gas. Nope. Changed leads and plugs thinking I'm misfiring. Nope. One day went to start my car and it sounded horrible-in the end it was my timing belt, I needed an entire new engine as the belt had slipped and ruined the pistons and valves. A 'new' rebuilt engine was put in. Now headlight socket on drivers side seems melted and the contacts no longer connect. Rear dr side door clasp jammed-no longer use that dr won't click closed. Replaced ignition key shaft as rollers seized

Spacious, pretty fun to drive, very responsive steering, great visability. It's a pretty good first car- size wise, price (not including all the repairs I've made!)

RPM guage, more noise protection. If only it could have been made more reliable all around.

What does Ford stand for?
By Maybe happy

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This station wagon has been good and bad. I might buy another only if certain things are changed. It has stranded me over 4 times yet it has done well on long trips and it is good on gas and it handles great. The car is paid for yet I seem to put an average of $300 into it every month throughout the year. Power windows all work at each door however the front passanger won't go down from the driver side and the left rear pass window won't go down from the driver control either. Now the driver control will make the right side passanger go up. Rear hatch unlatches while your driving and you never hit the release.

Awesome handling, good on gas, easy to park, ok sound system, nice cargo shade, OK dash controls and easy to wash.

Recall all suggested. Ignigtion 3 times. Front end 6 sets of front tires. Cheap arm rest broke 2 times Pain to put on seat belt because armrest in way. EGR sensor 2 times AC Compressor went out. Fuel pump went out. Thermostat & housing went out leaking coolant all over. Need 3 cup holders

A lot of car for the money
By Dan

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Can't say enough good about this car. Had Fords Escorts Zx2 (2) of them with the same engine, the Focus lived up to my expections. Had some small issues but as with all cars you'll always have some. I would like to see some more engine performance parts available from the dealer to give a little more pep.

Overall performance and its function.

More engine pep options.

What a disappointment!
By Katherine Wilson

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in April of 2003 and enjoyed it for about 3 months. It began to deteriorate quickly and had a variety of uncommon and mysterious problems. Many problems came from shoddy materials. I felt trapped by the financing and had to get many rides from friends for the whole time I've owned it. I was reminded daily of old saying "FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily." I've really resented paying high and constant repair bills while still making car payments. I still have two years on that loan but I just got financing to trade it in and get anything other than an American car. I'm looking at a Hyundai Elantra and surprised how much more comfortable it is. I will miss having a wagon though.

The ease of getting in and out of it and nice height of the car and the seats. Easy visibility all around. Liked the looks pretty much always. Color is nice - deep red. Loved having the convenience of a wagon that wasn't too big. I don't have kids - just a lot of cargo needs.

I wouldn't know where to start, though they might start with an upgrade of the quality of materials. Just lost one headlight because the socket burned out, not the bulb. It can't tolerate the new and hotter bulbs in use. Please! Engine never had much power and really missed anti-lock brakes .

probably buy Focus again
By matd

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 105K miles, I still love this car. I bought it for the price, because my elderly mom could get in & out of it, & for the cargo space (big enough to fit two Sheltie-size dog crates side-by-side). I've had no major problems with it. I have the 5-speed. I'm female, 5'3", very little use for rear seat. 29-30 mpg highway, 26 city (the rare times I do city).

Cargo space, fun to drive, nice pedal location.

Cut the road noise.