Used 2001 Ford Focus SE Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Most Helpful|
probably buy Focus again
By matd

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

After 105K miles, I still love this car. I bought it for the price, because my elderly mom could get in & out of it, & for the cargo space (big enough to fit two Sheltie-size dog crates side-by-side). I've had no major problems with it. I have the 5-speed. I'm female, 5'3", very little use for rear seat. 29-30 mpg highway, 26 city (the rare times I do city).

Favorite Features

Cargo space, fun to drive, nice pedal location.

Suggested Improvements

Cut the road noise.

Out of Focus
By Pat

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was a comfortable, responsive, and very nice car up until 2006 when at 57,000 miles the fuel system began to cause it to stall intermittently. Since then, with plenty of $$ in repairs to the fuel system and rentals, it still stalls out anywhere - anytime - any speed - very dangerous. Now Ford is telling me that it needs a $1200 wiring harness, which I cannot afford to do after all the rental and repair expenses. The charge for diagnosing this: $181.00. In 2001, I had an immediate repair under warranty for something that caused a tsunami in the front passenger floor. Now it's moldy throughout. A spring broke last year, fixed under a warranty "silent" recall. Steer clear of this car.

Favorite Features

Comfortable for my back on long trips, responsive, excellent gas mileage until fuel system problems occurred, roomy cargo area, nice looking.

Suggested Improvements

Better all-over quality control.

No Focus
By tinkeredout

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Do your self a big favor and buy something else. This car (if you could call it that, should be yellow). I have been a mechanic for more than 28 years. This car is not built to last more than 50k.

Favorite Features

As in the words of my daughter it looks cute.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc.

What a disappointment!
By Katherine Wilson

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in April of 2003 and enjoyed it for about 3 months. It began to deteriorate quickly and had a variety of uncommon and mysterious problems. Many problems came from shoddy materials. I felt trapped by the financing and had to get many rides from friends for the whole time I've owned it. I was reminded daily of old saying "FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily." I've really resented paying high and constant repair bills while still making car payments. I still have two years on that loan but I just got financing to trade it in and get anything other than an American car. I'm looking at a Hyundai Elantra and surprised how much more comfortable it is. I will miss having a wagon though.

Favorite Features

The ease of getting in and out of it and nice height of the car and the seats. Easy visibility all around. Liked the looks pretty much always. Color is nice - deep red. Loved having the convenience of a wagon that wasn't too big. I don't have kids - just a lot of cargo needs.

Suggested Improvements

I wouldn't know where to start, though they might start with an upgrade of the quality of materials. Just lost one headlight because the socket burned out, not the bulb. It can't tolerate the new and hotter bulbs in use. Please! Engine never had much power and really missed anti-lock brakes .

Great drivetrain - too bad its a rust bucket
By kopandem9305

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my SE Wagon in 2008 with 155,000 miles on it from a private sale for $2,500. 5 years later, it now has 230,000 miles on it and is still running great... but unfortunately the New England winters have taken their toll and the car cannot even be safely lifted on a jack anymore. Would cost thousands to get the proper body work done, so going with a newer car. Mechanic even told me 12 months ago "this will probably be your final sticker, you won't want to pay the bill next year." That said, the car got me this far very reliably, with very little cost. I got 30 MPG, the only repairs/maintenance I did was oil changes, brake and tire replacement. I feel I got a great value in the 5 years.

Favorite Features

Reliability, the fact that the engine/transmission run great, very few repairs, very smooth ride, lots of space in the wagon interior. I used the roof-racks to haul 4X12' drywall panels without any issues (with help of 2X4s). Unfortunately, biggest complaints with the new 2013 Focuses are that the auto-trannies are crap and dying after 10,000 to 20,000 miles... main thing keeping me from buying another. This car, I have 230,100 on original engine + auto transmission...

Suggested Improvements

Make car more corrosion-resistant. Car was washed in winter but still the body is junk after 11 years. Many cars here are much older and bodies in much better shape. Also went through plate-light holders like crazy due to corrosion of the holder - replaced 3 times, not expensive but time-consuming. However, I would say if you don't live in the rust-belt, then this is a very good car and a great value.