2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
drove a rented Focus in Germany
By hiaxi on 05/06/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I was in Germany on business and rented an Audi A3. My trip got extended and Hertz needed the Audi back so they swapped me for a Ford Focus SE Wagon. I ended up driving it for two weeks, and I commuted from the hotel to the office on an "unlimited speed" portion of the Autobahn. This car is fantastic! I had no problems in town with acceleration, and I was able to maintain 120 mph on the way to and from work! I like the shape of the key: less wear. The interior space is gigantic, even by medium size wagon standards. The ride is Euro-firm, but softened a tad for the US model. I treated it like the rental car that it was, and nothing disappointed me, that says a lot! I now plan to buy one!

Love It
By Serpent on 04/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I just got this car beginning of last week. Although I have had my share of problems with the Ford dealership, the car has been great. One problem is that the Check Engine light has come on, and they cant figure out why it wont turn off. I have to take my car in this Saturday (again) for them to take a look at it (again) to see if they can find whats wrong. If the Ford dealership wasn't so dumb, this would be a really awesome car.

traction control
By jayj on 04/18/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

traction control was worth the price of admission...worked well in bad weather with oem tires...very effective in snow/slush/even ice

ZX3 is a winner
By pdxflint on 04/15/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a very pleasant surprise. Equipped with the Power Premium package, there is not much left to be desired from a driver's standpoint. Seats could be a bit firmer, adjustable steering wheel should be able to move a tad lower (when seat is lowered to max, and the wheel is extended). Center armrest is a bit awkward. But the car handles extemely well on the street, and if a blast to drive. The clutch action is very smooth, and it's fun to put the ZX3 through its gears on a windy road. The dash design is unusual, yet very logical and useful. All the controls are well marked and easy to reach. Feels a lot more expensive than it is, like driving a smaller European sports coupe.

Should have bought a Civic
By hardkore/s2 on 04/11/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my fill of ford dealerships. Having nothing but problems with my car from stalling for no reason to the check engine light going on at least once every two months, I would not recomend a Ford Focus! Possibly I got a lemon, but I know a few friends who have had quite a bit of problems with the Ford dealers service departments.

Best Entry Level From Ford Ever
By D Rutan on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

We've owned the Focus for over a year now and are driving it hard, nearly 25000 miles in the first year. I'm continuously impressed with its solid feel, quietness, and drive train performance. Living in the Northeast, we outfitted with snow tires all around, and find the winter performance outstanding... very stable and sure footed. I've purchased entry level Fords in the past(Escort/Festiva/Fiesta) and find this model to be Ford's best ever offering.

Ford Focus
By Groverdo on 04/05/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Wanted a station wagon & bought the Ford Focus EXPECTING good gas MPG. The car is noisy to drive due to the wheel well being inside rather than in the trunk. The average MPG has been 25mpg. The plastic fittings inside the car are working loose. Dealer "can't find anything wrong" & said the car gets 40mpg...did "explain how their computer does MPG". NOT pleased with car nor Dealer. Ford does GOOD trucks but NOT the Focus.

Focus is Fun
By Trainer15 on 04/03/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Very satisfied with this vehicle. Formerly owned a 1990 acura integra and drove it until 130K miles ended it's life. The Acura was fun to drive and I didn't think this little Ford could even come close but I was wrong. Handles incredibly, very responsive for a compact car, great sound system, very roomy. One thing I find disappointing are the front seats, they are uncomfortable on long trips.

Happy so Far
By rubyelixir on 03/29/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Ford. I am very happy with this wagon. I searched for a year before my 98 Explorer lease was up ( 98 Explorer was awful, 96 was WAY better) & nothing comes near these features for the price. Got it on the internet for @ $80 above invoice & 0 (yep thats right! ZERO ) % financing for 5 whole YEARS!! bought an extended warranty for @ $800 for a total of 6 years 100,000 miles bumper to bumper with roadside assist& free rental car from Ford!!!

Sporty
By JC64 on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I found this vehicle to be so exciting to drive, that if I'm in a bad mood when I enter the cock pit module, I autmatically cheer up. it's really fun to drive and handles very well. I have raced cars and motorcycles and theprformance of this car for the price in untouchable. Highly reccomend it.