2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Not bad at all
By Santiago on 07/02/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

First of all this is an impressive car at an impressive price. While there are some build quality issues, the powertrain and engine are solid, and the engine (not a Zetec) does a decent job. My other car is a camry, and I must say that I would rather be in the Focus than the camry. Just wish I had waited a year for the ZX5

The factory didn't tighten WHAT??
By Postmortemcowboy on 06/27/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my brand new 2002 ford focus on a thursday... by the following monday (only 200 miles later) i was experiencing a popping/grinding noise coming from the front right which appeared to be suspension related. So took it back to the dealer. Well it seems the factory forgot or just didn't tighten the sway arm links on the front passenger side, not only that i did find a rubber moulding that wasn't properly installed. The factory needs to employ people who don't forget to tighten up STEERING components. This could have been a fatal accident waiting to happen. Needless to say the dealership paid for the rental for a day and didn't charge me a dime to fix my car.

ZX3 NIRVANA
By Quentin on 06/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my 5 speed Focus for a little over a year and I love to drive this car to work. I'm 6' 2" and I fit well in the driver's seat. The engine, transmission, steering, suspension and brakes are incredibly capable and satisfying. My Ford dealer has been great. The only defect was a faint rattle in the rear which was a vibrating shock absorber, quickly diagnosed and replaced.

Focus SE fun & cool WHEN not in service
By dbhero on 06/17/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I really wanted to like this car, it fits what I need to fit in it, and it is fun to drive. My hubby liked his, though he never bothered to fix some minor quirks. Unfortunately, mine has been in the shop TOO many times! The service light kept coming on for various reasons causing 4 return visits within the 1st 1.5 months & several since. The seatbelts broke in the back, the CD player ate my CDs. I traded in my van for this because I needed dependability, wondering if I should have kept 1997 van. Anyone interested in a class action /lemon law?

Impressive small Ford.
By FocusBoy on 06/12/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the car used, with 22500 miles on the odometer. I've only added 4000 miles since, but the car has had no problems. No stalling, no hesitation, no problems. My SE has the Zetec engine. I know other people have had problems, so maybe they have the "regular" 2.0L engine. The car's ride is firm, but far from harsh. Handling is superb, with steering that is super-sharp...maybe TOO sharp (it responds so quickly that it can feel jerky at times). I've averaged up to 31-mpg with this car (it routinely gets 27-mpg), so I don't know why others are getting such low figures...must be that heavy right foot. :-)

A great Car
By cleggsan on 06/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

First rate small car.

Great Car!
By Douglas on 06/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I have only had the car for a year, but it's a fantastic vehicle. The driving pleasure is just superb. Handling, acceleration, and ride all congeal to create a wonderful product.

It's a great car!
By bgkast on 05/23/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I love it. The only problem I have had, (a faulty moon roof switch) was fixed by the dealer with no problem. Corners great and is a blast to drive! Two thumbs up!

I enjoy my car
By Hamster on 05/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I really like this car. I spend a lot of time comparing it to it competitors, and found that it is the best car for the money. I find it very fun to drive, and a very comfortable car.

ZX3 Rocks
By akbossman on 05/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

Great from the get go. I have found it to be as much fun as a Mustang! Many companies already make items for you to make your custom wild or mild. Don't bother buying the power windows etc you can reach them with no problem. I spend 2 1/2 hours a day in this fun little car and I 'm 6'3"