Used 2001 Ford Focus Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

this car is better than its reputation
By JLS

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I am the original owner of my Focus. I have been driving it for 3-4 years. It is not the fastest car at the light, but you knew that. It is however, a great deal: once it gets going, it really goes; reliable, responsive, handles extremely well (I live in the midwest and laugh at many when I pull easily out of snow), and easy at the gas pump. All in all, a great little car.

Maneuverability, reliability. What more needs to be said about any car.

Change the head rests.

Problematic Car
By 2ManyProbsW/Focus

2001 Ford Focus LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only reason we bought this car was because it was 0% interest. There have been many parts replaced because the metal used was cheap. It's been in the shop every year since we've had it. I am not happy with this car. The extended warranty only covered 1 part any time we've had problems. The warranty seemed to do nothing for us. The ignition and fuel are the biggest problems. It's loud from the noise outside especially on highways. There isn't much leg room in the back seats. The stereo system is TERRIBLE. We replaced our ignition and key 3 times! Loud muffler. This is a noisy, break down car. I'd suggest against getting one. Ford never helped me at all with any problems.

Gets great gas mileage. It's compact, easy to park in tight spaces. There's a lot of trunk space.

Better stereo system. Make it not as noisy when you drive on highways. Use better metal on the parts, especially the ignition and key. More parts covered under warranty. Make the muffler quieter.

Fun to drive
By Enthusiast

2001 Ford Focus ZX3 2dr Hatchback (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

More fun to drive than any other car I've owned. Would buy a new car if I could find one more fun to drive.

Sportiness. Fun to drive.

More comfortable bucket seats.

Don't Buy A Focus
By No More Fords

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my Focus new. I am also very good with the maintenance. Nothing but problems from the start. Rotors and brakes were a problem from the manufacturer. Then came sensor troubles. Too many recalls. Next was the 4 times I had to have the stereo replaced due to a battery that was going bad..it took 4 tries to figure that out? Then went the air compressor at 36,000 miles only to follow 2 months later with the evaporator core in the air conditioning. ($1,000.00 each!) Next went the faulty alarm system. Lastly, if you turn the radio up loud enough, you can't hear the horrible vibrations! The worst part is the fact that the car has NO value!! Going shopping for a Honda now!

Nice amenities, when everything works. Great power options. 6 disc in dash CD changer, 16" tires and aluminum rims., sporty looking.

Build a better car that has lasting parts in it, and a great goal would be a car that will retain some value!

Very happy with it
By FOCUSLOVER

2001 Ford Focus SE 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased a 2001 Ford Focus SE with 13,000 miles, which is unbelieveably low for that year,. It has 24,000 miles on it now, and been using it for 3 months. It has a wonderful ride and smooth acceleration. Never had any problems with it, previous owner was a old couple and rarely used the car. Still has the new car smell and everything inside and out looks like brand new. The sound system is wonderful! All of my friends loved it and they are thinking about buying one like mine. Although the one thing that Ford needs to improve is the gas mileage because I only get 270 miles on full gas tank.

Sound System, Electrical, Ride, Handling.

Gas mileage.