Used 2001 Ford Focus Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus - Consumer Reviews

2001 Ford Focus Wagon

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

Great drivetrain - too bad its a rust bucket
By kopandem9305

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my SE Wagon in 2008 with 155,000 miles on it from a private sale for $2,500. 5 years later, it now has 230,000 miles on it and is still running great... but unfortunately the New England winters have taken their toll and the car cannot even be safely lifted on a jack anymore. Would cost thousands to get the proper body work done, so going with a newer car. Mechanic even told me 12 months ago "this will probably be your final sticker, you won't want to pay the bill next year." That said, the car got me this far very reliably, with very little cost. I got 30 MPG, the only repairs/maintenance I did was oil changes, brake and tire replacement. I feel I got a great value in the 5 years.

Favorite Features

Reliability, the fact that the engine/transmission run great, very few repairs, very smooth ride, lots of space in the wagon interior. I used the roof-racks to haul 4X12' drywall panels without any issues (with help of 2X4s). Unfortunately, biggest complaints with the new 2013 Focuses are that the auto-trannies are crap and dying after 10,000 to 20,000 miles... main thing keeping me from buying another. This car, I have 230,100 on original engine + auto transmission...

Suggested Improvements

Make car more corrosion-resistant. Car was washed in winter but still the body is junk after 11 years. Many cars here are much older and bodies in much better shape. Also went through plate-light holders like crazy due to corrosion of the holder - replaced 3 times, not expensive but time-consuming. However, I would say if you don't live in the rust-belt, then this is a very good car and a great value.

Very Reliable
By tjh9

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 Focus Wagon SE from a dealership in 2011 with ~190,000 mi on it for $2850. It has been almost 2 years now and this car has given me almost no grief. The A/C went out once (A/C is a luxury anyways, who cares?), front coil springs had to be replaced, and the muffler hit the ground once while going over a speed bump (temporarily fixed it with shoelaces, haha) All in all, great performance; great value!

Suggested Improvements

I would prefer larger rims/tires (scraped the underneath of the vehicle going on a slightly-uneven gravel road--ouch!), and also wish the interior was a little more friendly for tall folks (it was somewhat hard to get comfortable driving when I first purchased this vehicle).

No Focus
By tinkeredout

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Do your self a big favor and buy something else. This car (if you could call it that, should be yellow). I have been a mechanic for more than 28 years. This car is not built to last more than 50k.

Favorite Features

As in the words of my daughter it looks cute.

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Toyota, Honda, Subaru, etc.

242,000 Miles and Still going!
By dyfwn

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Yes I have 242,000 miles on my '01 Wagon. I have had to replace my share of tires and brakes due to the 600+ miles I drive a week. In the 5 years I have owned the car, which I purchased used with 66,000 miles it, I haven't had a repair bill over $360. And that was for the water pump and the timing belt at 215,000 miles. My sercet, is to change the oil every 3,000 miles. Do not wait the 3 months if you are driving like I do.

Suggested Improvements

My only wish would be for the seats to sit a bit more like a chair. The low angle can get to you on long trips.

took a $9000 loss to be rid of this car
By yuba4

2001 Ford Focus Wagon Street 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This should have been a great car, but was an absolute disaster. 17 service trips in first 16 months. Ford was uncooperative and rude. The worst of many problems was the rear brakes, which were always slightly engaged. This resulted in bad fuel economy, but FAR worse was that it was extremely dangerous to drive on ice and snow. The rear wheels constantly slid. I race autocross, ride motorcycles, and race bicycles so I know a ridiculously unsafe vehicle from a regular vehicle, but every contact point of Ford ignored my concerns and insisted I was just a bad driver. Send me a $9000 check, and I will CONSIDER buying another Ford. Lemon law only until 12k miles - went to heck at 15k

Favorite Features

Overall design and packaging was right on the money - should have been a great car

Suggested Improvements

Corporate customer service rating 1/5, dealer customer service rating 1/5, engine, suspension, brakes, rear wheel alignment. Will never consider another Ford. Ever.