2001 Ford Focus Wagon - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:
Great drivetrain - too bad its a rust bucket
By kopandem9305 on 07/25/13 18:45 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my SE Wagon in 2008 with 155,000 miles on it from a private sale for $2,500. 5 years later, it now has 230,000 miles on it and is still running great... but unfortunately the New England winters have taken their toll and the car cannot even be safely lifted on a jack anymore. Would cost thousands to get the proper body work done, so going with a newer car. Mechanic even told me 12 months ago "this will probably be your final sticker, you won't want to pay the bill next year." That said, the car got me this far very reliably, with very little cost. I got 30 MPG, the only repairs/maintenance I did was oil changes, brake and tire replacement. I feel I got a great value in the 5 years.

Very Reliable
By tjh9 on 05/22/13 09:15 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my '01 Focus Wagon SE from a dealership in 2011 with ~190,000 mi on it for $2850. It has been almost 2 years now and this car has given me almost no grief. The A/C went out once (A/C is a luxury anyways, who cares?), front coil springs had to be replaced, and the muffler hit the ground once while going over a speed bump (temporarily fixed it with shoelaces, haha) All in all, great performance; great value!

No Focus
By tinkeredout on 08/03/12 17:39 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Do your self a big favor and buy something else. This car (if you could call it that, should be yellow). I have been a mechanic for more than 28 years. This car is not built to last more than 50k.

242,000 Miles and Still going!
By dyfwn on 07/13/11 10:06 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Yes I have 242,000 miles on my '01 Wagon. I have had to replace my share of tires and brakes due to the 600+ miles I drive a week. In the 5 years I have owned the car, which I purchased used with 66,000 miles it, I haven't had a repair bill over $360. And that was for the water pump and the timing belt at 215,000 miles. My sercet, is to change the oil every 3,000 miles. Do not wait the 3 months if you are driving like I do.

took a $9000 loss to be rid of this car
By yuba4 on 03/14/11 10:44 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon Street 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This should have been a great car, but was an absolute disaster. 17 service trips in first 16 months. Ford was uncooperative and rude. The worst of many problems was the rear brakes, which were always slightly engaged. This resulted in bad fuel economy, but FAR worse was that it was extremely dangerous to drive on ice and snow. The rear wheels constantly slid. I race autocross, ride motorcycles, and race bicycles so I know a ridiculously unsafe vehicle from a regular vehicle, but every contact point of Ford ignored my concerns and insisted I was just a bad driver. Send me a $9000 check, and I will CONSIDER buying another Ford. Lemon law only until 12k miles - went to heck at 15k

A Work Horse
By The Captain on 06/21/10 14:24 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

Self-employed, bought for everyday driving needs, performed well, had to replace bought front coils springs, and two power window motors, but other than that - excellent value! Way to go Ford!

love it
By katie loves tyler on 03/19/10 19:30 PM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2001 Ford focus Se Wagon. I love this car. Only has 117,000 miles on it! My boyfriend is always very excited to drive it. His car is a year newer but is a Pontiac and he would Rather drive mine instead! I absolutely love this car.

Out of Focus
By Pat on 02/23/10 09:03 AM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was a comfortable, responsive, and very nice car up until 2006 when at 57,000 miles the fuel system began to cause it to stall intermittently. Since then, with plenty of $$ in repairs to the fuel system and rentals, it still stalls out anywhere - anytime - any speed - very dangerous. Now Ford is telling me that it needs a $1200 wiring harness, which I cannot afford to do after all the rental and repair expenses. The charge for diagnosing this: $181.00. In 2001, I had an immediate repair under warranty for something that caused a tsunami in the front passenger floor. Now it's moldy throughout. A spring broke last year, fixed under a warranty "silent" recall. Steer clear of this car.

Stay away from these cars
By Nathan M. on 11/23/09 14:43 PM (PST)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon Street 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

This car was purchased used from a private seller in early 2009 to be used as a commuter vehicle in Canada. The car passed a licenced (3rd party) inspection when I bought it, but has since required ~$3,000 in repairs in the nine months that I have been driving it - about the same amount I spent buying the wretched thing. So far the front shocks & struts have had to be replaced twice (the first OEM replacement parts broke less than a month after being replaced by a licensed shop), the front brake pads, rotors, & calipers, the rear brake cylinders, the heater core, and the OEM 6-CD stereo. Needless to say, I won't be buying another Ford in the foreseeable future.

Never buy one this
By gracie on 10/03/09 11:42 AM (PDT)

2001 Ford Focus Wagon SE 4dr Wagon (2.0L 4cyl 4A)

You are better of setting a few thousand dollars on fire and then buying a used Honda or Toyota. I have spent 3K on this in the past 6 weeks, three trips to the dealership and it only has 65k on it. I truly would love to see the US produce a car that did not break down every season, but to date every experence that I have had over the past 12 years with US cars are the same. My wifes Honda has 100k and has never, I repeat never had a single problem.

1 2 3 4 5 next »