Used 2001 Ford Focus LX Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Ford Focus Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Focus model:

For what i needed, this was actually a great car.
By krwkim26

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I paid $3,000 for this car when i was 19. It was used with 136,000 miles on it and with that.. I really didnt have alot of issues with. Had it for 3 years before it finally gave up at 172,000. I know thats not long, but for the milage it had, it didnt pretty well. The only issues i had were minor- drive belt and ignition switch- both easy fixes. Occasionally a hupcap would come off randomly while driving, but that seems to happen with steal wheels.. haha The a/c never failed and it got decent gas milage. Going from point A to point B and being in college on a budget.. this was a good car.

For an older car, it had a peppy style to it. I liked the interior the best, and the turn signals always made me laugh as they sounded like a snapple bottle popping open.

If bought a rebuilt in an Emergency.
By TheNIGHTCRAWLER

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

I needed a car on the spot. A mechanic rebuilt this wrecked car for his wife. I bought it from him as he was moving into the soccer mom SUB stage of life. He replaced the ignition and suspension and life is good. I would have bought this car whether or not anybody signed off on it. They did. Bare bones and gets me where I have to go dependably. This works for me. Note: It's an automatic. the green button under the shifter turns off the overdrive. The child safety locks on the rear doors still confuse me. No children. Anti-theft key is nice. I like to date. Basic car is a keeper.

Anti-theft key, mpg (~30), COST - Around 3K. Manual windows. replace that motor a couple of times and. Give me manual, and not the transmission.

It's a car. Replace the ignition switch, already done before purchase, ME, and the original sound system sucks. PERIOD. Put a place for 6X9's in the back if someone is looking for suggestions. I can put them in, make me room to do so. The door speakers are off the chart awful!

Terrible car.
By Tman

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

We bought this car with around 30,000 miles on it. And ever since it's been one problem after another! We've had to replace all 4 tires nearly every 16 months! The upper engine mount has needed to be replaced twice. The passengers side strut needed to be replaced 3 times. The radio goes off intermittently and you need to push the faceplate back in. the ignition wasn't working right. The car sputters sporadically. It doesn't like to start on rainy days. has bad gas mileage for a 4 cyl. It's poor in the snow. the a/c stopped working and won't stay charged. The list goes on and on. The car was designed by monkeys. It's a piece of junk, we will NEVER buy a ford again

comfortable front seats.

User better plastic and better parts. Better yet, Scrap the entire ford line of cars and start over. A preschooler could design a better car.

Not entirely happy
By cpence

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

It has basically been a decent vehicle, but I've already had to replace the rack and pinion and the cv joints. Not good for a car that new. It's not like I go off roading in it. I'm pretty sure I won't buy another Ford. The Focus was my first and will be my last Ford. It does get good mileage for gas and runs well. I'm just not impressed with it. Not a good car for taller men. Almost impossible to fit a baby car seat in the back. The seats aren't comfortable either. They slump you forward.

I do think it's a cute car. It's great for shorter people. Good stereo sound for factory stereo.

Better shaped seats.

Problematic Car
By 2ManyProbsW/Focus

2001 Ford Focus Sedan LX 4dr Sedan (2.0L 4cyl 5M)

The only reason we bought this car was because it was 0% interest. There have been many parts replaced because the metal used was cheap. It's been in the shop every year since we've had it. I am not happy with this car. The extended warranty only covered 1 part any time we've had problems. The warranty seemed to do nothing for us. The ignition and fuel are the biggest problems. It's loud from the noise outside especially on highways. There isn't much leg room in the back seats. The stereo system is TERRIBLE. We replaced our ignition and key 3 times! Loud muffler. This is a noisy, break down car. I'd suggest against getting one. Ford never helped me at all with any problems.

Gets great gas mileage. It's compact, easy to park in tight spaces. There's a lot of trunk space.

Better stereo system. Make it not as noisy when you drive on highways. Use better metal on the parts, especially the ignition and key. More parts covered under warranty. Make the muffler quieter.